BUILT
Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3
Use: commercial
Address: HWY 17 at Ravine Way
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Phase 3 of the Uptown Shopping Centre in the municipality of Saanich includes a 40,000 square foot Whole Foods... (view full profile)
Learn more about Uptown Shopping Centre, phase 3 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Uptown Shopping Centre | Phase 3 built - completed in 2016

• Please log in to reply
3132 replies to this topic

#1 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

Merchants at the T & C have been given notice by Morgaurd that they have to be out by Decemeber 31st. (Except for Wal-mart) Demolition to start in ernest in January 2007.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

They have a big display of the proposal in one of the windows at TC Mall. It is a lot uglier than I thought but perhaps but still better than what is there now.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

I shudder every time I come across the "Main Street" BS that will soon replace Town & Country.

Town and Country project delayed

By Amy Dove
Victoria News
Oct 11 2006

Construction on the new Town and Country development is slated to begin early in the new year. Originally scheduled for this October, the project is still being processed at the municipal level.

"(We are) moving forward with it, making sure it is a successful project from day one," said Geoff Nagle, with Morguard Investments. Public feedback over the summer was very positive, he added.

Over a three-year period Morguard Investments plans to spend more than $100 million to redevelop the shopping centre. The retail space will almost triple when the 600,000-square-foot complex is complete.

[...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:58 AM

This had already been pushed back to January. What are they on over there.

It has a whole new look!

#5 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

This is bad news and good news in my opinion.

Good news because its a big project for Saanich, bad news because its rediculous. If you calculate it out, after they brach the mall itself out, and put underground parking, they lose 40% of the parking lots!

That place was already nuts to park in! Gee whiz.

Ben

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

The proposal is to maintain the same level of parking though most of that will be underground.

It has a whole new look!

#7 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:11 AM

I went to the open house at the mall. The only pedestrian connection with the Save on foods mall is the at grade crosswalk at Ravine way and Saanich Rd. I inquired about a pedestrian tunnel or overhead walk way. A lady from Saanich municipal hall said that department of Highways has jurisdiction over that stretch of road and that Saanich would like to see a mid block at grade crossing for "traffic calming" of blanshard st.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

I have still yet to see a decent rendering of this project.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

Traffic calming for a highway entrance into town?

Good grief. This whole traffic calming buzz is getting out of control.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

PROPERTY REPORT / RETAIL
Putting life into an aging mall, with style
In hemmed-in Victoria suburb, mall owner embraces densification in order to expand

PETER MITHAM

POSTED ON 07/11/06
Special to The Globe and Mail

SAANICH, B.C. -- The owner of the Town & Country Shopping Centre in Saanich, a suburb of Victoria, has long had big plans to develop the 45-year-old site into a modern shopping destination serving a growing community.

There's just one problem -- there's no room to expand.

Growth has pushed the community to the limits of an urban containment boundary the municipality instituted in 1964 to manage demand for city services. But years of traditional, low-density development have maxed out the district's available urban land base, prompting owners to consider redeveloping sites with more intense, mixed-use developments that do more with the land they occupy.

A case in point is a proposal that Toronto-based Morguard Investments Ltd. has put forward for the Town & Country, located in Saanich's business core.

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:01 AM

A gigantic Wal-Mart right on the edge of the city proper didn't wreck Victoria, so now we'll find out if a Wal-Mart twice that size will be able to do it. That's going to be a huge store.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

Overwaitea? Man when was the last time the write was in Victoria?

It has a whole new look!

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

It was never Overwaitea. It opened as a Save-On Foods. He's just using the brand name that has meaning to readers in Ontario.

#14 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

They spoke of a food store going in under the housing building (high rise) but I think that Walmart might build one of their walmart super stores that also sell groceries and not just a few isles of frozen or dry foods. I heard on the radio today that they plan 14 of these stores in Canada; the first one opened today in Ontario. Did Fairways move to Quadra because they are loosing this location?

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

I don't think that was the main reason. Quadra village needed a good supermarket like that.

It has a whole new look!

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

...Walmart might build one of their walmart super stores that also sell groceries and not just a few isles of frozen or dry foods. I heard on the radio today that they plan 14 of these stores in Canada; the first one opened today in Ontario.

http://www.canada.co... ... 25&k=27203

Wal-Mart unveils grocery force to be reckoned with
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:08 PM

A lady from Saanich municipal hall said that department of Highways has jurisdiction over that stretch of road and that Saanich would like to see a mid block at grade crossing for "traffic calming" of blanshard st.

Yeah, that'll end up killing someone. Everyone who has come in from the Ferry does the exact same thing on that stretch; About 75kmh, cause they haven't quite mentally shifted over to the four lane in each direction divided road being a 50hmh zone :oops: .... Putting an at grade crossing onto the four lane in each direction divided road there is fricking nuts.

'Cause we all know that when a road is divided and has four lanes in each direction, traffic calming is going to work. :roll:

#18 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

A lady from Saanich municipal hall said that department of Highways has jurisdiction over that stretch of road and that Saanich would like to see a mid block at grade crossing for "traffic calming" of blanshard st.

How can Saanich even consider traffic calming a major thoroughfare like that when they don't even have proper sidewalks on thier collector roads. What a joke.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

Here's a tiny image from way back:

#20 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:53 PM

They have a display in one of the shop windows between Wal-Mart and Moore's. On the wall there is a box with glossy four page brouchures. For your convenience, here are the pages.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users