Bengal Lounge

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

A little steep, esp. for doubles (in the $12 range), but you can't beat the place for cool appeal.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Probably my fave place in town, besides Paprika Bistro. Yes, its pricey, but worth it. The only place in town where all diners sit at leather armchairs. And the curry buffet is awesome!

#3 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

I was thinking of going there for our anniversary. I love curry, and it looks pretty cool in there. I think you two have sold me on the idea. There are a whole bunch of restaurants I want to try before I die, this is one.

#4 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

Go for it! You'll have to expect to pay alot, but it is definetly sexy enough for an anniversary dinner. And you'll want to go back.

Make reservations.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

I'd say compared to the tea, the Bengal is the far better deal.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

So we went to the Bengay lounge..whoops, I mean the Bengal Lounge.

For the most part the place was filled with middle aged to just plain old folks...most of whom seemed to be horribly wealthy.

Yet its a very nice atmosphere, relaxed and casual, while open, airy and quietly elegant.

Beer was reasonably priced $7.50 for a pint of Guinness, probably about the same as the Irish Times, or not much more. Curry buffet was $29.00 each. Funny thing was that it must have been super rich, as I only had one plate full, but afterwards I felt so full and really sleepy. Food was good, not exceptional, but very good. Service was good, although our server seemed to be not as personable as the other one we noticed serving another area.

All in all, worth the money and I would go back again.

#7 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

^Sounds good and since they have Guinness I'm gonna have to check it out!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:36 AM

You can't mix an irish beer with curry it is just wrong. It has to be something a little more carbonated. Geez no wonder you were feeling full and tired.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

India Pale Ale, naturally...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

haha...

well, you see I went with my Irish wife, and in order to counteract the overwhelming British colonial atmosphere we had no choice but to defend ourselves with Ireland's most famous beer.. (a better choice than ordering a molotov cocktail I'm sure you would agree).

but yes, a lighter beer would have been more appropriate, perhaps even as HW mentioned, an India Pale Ale.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

^ Ah, colonialism, those were the days.

A lot of the world has gone to hell since we gave them independance (ie. most of Africa).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

Capture.JPG

#13 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

Maybe they can replace with a Golden Corral? 😄
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

Maybe they can replace with a Golden Corral?

Or Golden Arches.  :blink:

• todd likes this

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

The space is gong to be a banquet room, by the way.

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

^ it was a joke.
  • todd likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

^ it was a joke.

I know.  I'm not really speaking to your post.  It just had not been widely reported what they are doing with the space, I'm pointing out what the manager said on camera the other day.

#18 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

anyone have info on the history of Tiffany's in the basement of the Empress?  Google isn't helpful, but locals I'm sure will be. not sure of the timeline, probably 80's....I downed pints at the Beaver, but never tippled at Tiff's.

#19 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

ok, maybe Tiffany's wasn't accurate intel.  the space I mention was at one time the Paint Cellar, if that sparks any memories.  apparently  the name of the club/ lounge/ disco changed several times over the years.  any other names or stories of this joint would be fun to hear.

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:21 AM

What do you want to know about it other than it was downstairs from 1976 to 1981

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users