New fountain at the Bryn Maur roundabout

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Was out for my morning walkies today and happened by the new fountain that has been installed in the river rock roundabout in front of the Westbrook Mall. My first thought was that it was kind of nice, then it went crazy with side misters blowing spray out the side, and Beatles music began playing from it.

It was kind of strange. Very strange actually. I don't quite know what to say. I wasn't packing my camera. :o

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

There's a Westbrook Mall in Victoria?

#3 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

There's a Westbrook Mall in Victoria?

Sorry. It must have been a bad dream. :D

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

No, it is called Westbrook Mall

http://vibrantvictor...read.php?t=2287

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

There's a Bryn Maur in Victoria?

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

There's a Bryn Maur in Victoria?

No, it's in Langford. And before you ask, there is no Langford in Victoria either :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

oh, it's a strip mall

#8 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

You will need to study these instructions from the Goldstream Gazette before attempting to traverse the circle.

In brief:

Vehicles in the roundabout have the right-of-way.

If two vehicles enter the roundabout at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way.

A steady stream of traffic on the main thoroughfare ( Goldstream Avenue, for instance) has priority over vehicles entering from side roads, similar to an uncontrolled intersection.

The full story: Goldstream Gazette , Wed. July 21, 2010:

Langford Mayor Stew Young shows off the busy roundabout on Goldstream Avenue. The centerpiece is being designed and built with an hourly fountain water show, complete with music.

http://www.bclocalne...s/98809909.html

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

You will need study these instructions from the Goldstream Gazette before attempting to traverse the circle.

In brief:

Vehicles in the roundabout have the right-of-way.

If two vehicles enter the roundabout at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way.

A steady stream of traffic on the main thoroughfare ( Goldstream Avenue, for instance) has priority over vehicles entering from side roads, similar to an uncontrolled intersection.

I can't believe people will understand and follow those rules. I regularly see people stopping at green lights for no reason; a round-about is far too complicated.

#10 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Great, music. Might actually be able to hear it too if it weren't for all the cars!

#11 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

On my latest wander by I noticed they put some sort of cover over the rim which covers the side jets. I'm not sure how they work now on it's hourly display. And I see it took only two nights for someone to dump soap in it. This will be a regular occurrence.

Roundabout rules state that the right of way goes to the car in the circle. Simple enough. But in true Langford tradition, the goal now is to ensure you ARE the first person into the circle. :D

#12 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Saw this thing at night and i thought it looked quite nice. Caught the tail end of the music spray show too. I think its way better then that water tower/water fall clock thing that was originally planned.

#13 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

I haven't seen the hourly extravaganza yet, but my first thought after seeing it churn away this morning was "somebody's been in Vegas."

Have to agree with seymour201. The previous proposal was over the top kitsch.

In any event, I'd have been happy with some nice flowers.

#14 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

PxQ6fLWlo1U

#15 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

I'll give Langford credit for striving to improve their municipality.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

To think we nearly ended up with this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.../roundabout.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:40 AM

I was so looking forward to the kitsch! But it looks like this blog had it right, way back in January.

We predict the funding for this vanity project will dry up before it's finished.

Too bad!

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

Langford has committed something like a million dollars for a traffic roundabout in the middle of Goldstream Avenue in front of Western Foods. No one knows why, since a roundabout will be a huge pain in the ass. Adding to the butthurt: the traffic island is supposed to include a bizarre assortment of faux-Western kitsch -- a fake train, a fake watertower, and a fake steam clock. Yes, really! We predict the funding for this vanity project will dry up before it's finished. If not, at least folks will be laughing too hard to make snarky comments.

The bit in bold - there goes 89% of the writer's credibility.

#19 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

The writer's credibility lost me at WTF.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

I like the fountain a lot.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users