BUILT
Promontory
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: 83 Saghalie Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 21
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, penthouse, townhome)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Promontory is a 21-storey residential tower consisting of 174 condo units and three townhomes. The tower is si... (view full profile)
Learn more about Promontory on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Promontory at Bayview | Condos | 21-floors | Built - completed in 2014

Condo

• Please log in to reply
3253 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Bosa Properties have updated their site to show off the next tower at Bayview.

Check it out at http://www.bosaproperties.com/bayview/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Bosa Properties have updated their site to show off the next tower at Bayview.

Check it out at http://www.bosaproperties.com/bayview/

Is Bosa building the next 2 towers at Bayview as well as the Roundhouse residential component ?

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

It would seem that way.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Here's a shot of the upcoming tower.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

There goes that HST saving the consumer money again ;)

Not to mention creating more construction jobs.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

It's confirmed. The second phase of Bayview will become Victoria's tallest building.

Victoria’s tallest building to rise above Vic West
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictor...above-vic-west/

After nearly five solid decades of holding the venerable title as Victoria’s tallest building, the 62 meter tall, 22-storey Orchard House in James Bay will slip to second place as a new residential tower proposal in Vic West moves from concept to reality.

Bayview Properties and its newly-introduced partner Bosa Properties confirm plans for a 21-storey, 66.3 meter tall residential tower perched above Vic West as phase two of the Bayview project (see Bayview One for information on the first phase).

“Unit ceiling heights will be in excess of 9 feet making the 21-storey tower the tallest in Victoria,” said Vania Wong of Bosa Properties, adding that project marketing is expected to begin within several months and be in full swing by summer of 2011. Rennie Marketing Systems of Vancouver is charged with the sales and marketing of the tower. [Read more]

Know it all.

#7 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

This will be a great addition to the Vic West area.

Mike: do you know if there are plans for first-floor commercial in the new tower? One complaint I heard about the original Bayview Tower is its lack of proximity to retail/restaurant space (aside from the convenience store at the Shell Gas Station @ Tyee/Esquimalt). This is partially aggrivated by the development's road/sidewalk layout.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

They have every right to build what ever buildings they want on their site, I'm just concerned this neighbourhood is turning into (well already is, but is now getting worse) a bunch of vertical gated communities. It looks like yet another largely setback condo with high security and no street interaction. Yeah I know not every budding absolutely requires good street interaction or ground floor retail, but I'm really sick of the suburban/gated community feel this whole neighbourhood has. This whole area has such opportunity to be a residential extension of downtown, the original plans showed a mix of shops and housing and intimate streets. What we got were huge setbacks, useless suburban style fields of manicured grass... an absolute bland monoculture.

A nice tall building is cool and impressive, but this neighbourhood has done pretty much everything wrong from day 1. But I'd love to be proved wrong and this development to change things. Even some townhouses that met the street in some way would be great. Anything but huge driveways and setbacks. We need more Corizons and less regents parks.
  • Mixed365 likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

The buildings sit on an outcropping three/four meters above the sidewalk. I don't think there is much that can be done to interact with the street unless the developer is prepared to spend considerable sums dynamiting rock. I personally have no problem with Bayview being as it is.

As far as commercial space, Bayview (the hilltop) will be all residential (although a while back there was talk of having something like a coffee shop along the ground floor of one of the buildings) with the development's commercial node will be built at the Roundhouse. Roundhouse will have a full range of commercial services less than a minute from the Bayview towers.

Know it all.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

If the train tracks are going to be ripped out then I'd suggest replacing them with some sort of "Songhees Village". I'm talking small mixed-use buildings with storefronts along the sidewalk.

http://maps.google.c...2,282.9,,0,0.42

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Not a bad idea.

Know it all.

#12 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

^^ Great idea. Kitma Rd would be a great place for this. There is already a bit of a start w/ the bike store at the end of the street (well, really on Catherine) and then of course the pub. And people are often walking along the westsong walkway, so why not make it a loop with a few good stores on the way back, mixed in with some offices maybe?

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

If I'm not mistaken the original Bayview concept called for lowrises wrapping around the rise along Kimta. If done right, they might be able to pull off a White Rock vibe with commercial groundfloor units with residential units a couple of floors above. Although there wouldn't be much of a view from the residential units, come to think of it.

Know it all.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

^ But you would live a block from the water so that is still pretty cool.

So they are approved for 68 metres and are going only 66 metres? Perhaps they could change the lay out a bit or some ceiling heights and put a restaurant on the top floor. The view from there would be absolutely mind blowing.

It has a whole new look!

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

Could it work, a simple neighbourhood street?

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Jesus, aastra, I couldn't have imagined it much differently. Good work.

G-man, the average height of the building is 66.3 meters, so conceivably there may be one part of the foundation that sits a couple of meters lower totaling 68 meters.

Know it all.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

^ Ah that makes sense. Still would make a cool spot for a restaurant!

It has a whole new look!

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Okay this project has been in my head since last night. I was thinking about the restaurant and the issue is that I don't necessarily want a restauarant but I want something.

As most probably know I am not against height. I am against the tallest building in Victoria being built on a tall rock and the city not getting anything out of it.

I want more. I want more than a glassy version of the Astoria and I want more than a elevator housing on top of this building. Given the visibility of this building for the next 100 years I want something that when people see it in a picture they say "That's Victoria!"

I am open to any suggestions but something needs to be done to this building to make it different, to make it special and to make it an icon.

Imagine a version of the Gherkin. Or a modern take on the spire of the Chrysler Building. Perhaps a green glass dome or observation deck. But as it is now I don't accept it and hope that the Design Panel takes them to task on this point.

It has a whole new look!

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Also he flyby on the Bosa site has Athena in front of the ledge again...

It has a whole new look!

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

But why make a fuss on this one? Heck, this might just be the first building ever built on the Songhees that I can accept as is. It doesn't set the world on fire, I agree, but it also doesn't piss me off. It's better than the goofy faux Songhees crap (obviously) and it's also better than Shutters because it isn't trying so hard. It's a real building. The first Bayview building is also a real building, but the first Bayview building will forever bug me because it's so incredibly wide.

Some people will make a stink about the height of this tower and they may have a point. For me it's a fine line. If this tower were four stories shorter then I'd say there's no height issue whatsoever. Victorians always worry about height but height has turned out not to be a problem in every instance since 1970 or so, which leads me to expect it won't be a problem here. But you never know, maybe one time we'll actually look at the finished product and wonder if it should have been a bit shorter.

If we're going to choose our battles then I'd say wait a few years and let Vic West get some momentum back, then get all finicky about the Roundhouse.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users