Photo

Glen Lake Inn

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

The newly renovated, revamped Glen Lake Inn is officially open for business. Everything is all new. Trying to start fresh and leave their troubled past behind.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

The newly renovated, revamped Glen Lake Inn is officially open for business. Everything is all new. Trying to start fresh and leave their troubled past behind.

So no strippers again?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Alas, no. They're trying to break away from the "Before Times" when the Inn was less than savoury.

#4 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

I remember watching some amazing ping-pong there, back when it was the King John's Inn.

#5 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I hope there is still a restaurant. I used to enjoy breakfast there.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

^^ Mitzi pong. :)

#7 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Written on menu chalkboard inside: "Our knives are no longer used for stabbing."

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

^^ Mitzi pong. :)

Hahaha Remember going to Monty's to be introduced to ping pong Mitzi! Quite an experience!

#9 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hard to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. In this case it's impossible. Should have bulldozed it and started over.

#10 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

We went there today for a beer. They only sell craft beers (two pints for $12.) The place is set up like a restaurant with small square tables and overstuffed uncomfortable chairs. It looks like they are trying to distance themselves from 'Langford'. My friend and I both thought that the format will not work in this location. Some menu items are.
Thai Chili Chicken $11
Nachos$13.50 +$2 guacamole. +$4 beef
Caesar salad $9
Haddock and Chips one $12 two $15
Glen Lake Super dog-12 inch $12
Burger $13 add $1 for any extra toppings

It seems pricey for a place that would do better as greasy spoon café.

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

$12 for a hotdog? Really?

Go to Costco and get one with a pop for 1/4 of that.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hahaha Remember going to Monty's to be introduced to ping pong Mitzi! Quite an experience!

In all fairness this is a very sad story that could have started at the Glen Lake Inn.

For those of you that perhaps are unfamiliar with the legend, Mitzi was an entertainer that worked with ping pong balls in a very talented way.

She was murdered in Edmonton quite some time ago, and a number of us still miss her and morn her.

I am not making this up. A group of friends that I associate with happenned to acquire an autographed ping pong ball, and we made a trophy out of it.... and we compete every year for it at the pool hall.

I didn't win last year so I do not have a shot of the trophy....I will get that for you later....but I do have a shot of the round robin board that we use every year.

We honor this woman annually, in the truest sense of the word. PM me if you would like to compete. The tournament will be some time in April.

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Nice to see it's "open" and not an invitational, in true Mitzi tradition.

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

LJ it would be an honour if you could join us to compete.

#15 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

Went there Friday night for the Open House and having never set foot in the old Glen Lake Inn I had no preconceived notions over the decor, food or service. The place looked pretty good from my viewpoint. The seating was comfortable and we got to sit at a table that used to comprise a section of the stripper stage, now refinished and skeeze free. A full menu wasn't available, but the appies were delicious and their selection of beers was comparable or better than many other places in the area. The place was packed but that didn't have any effect on the service, which was fantastic! There's still a few finishing touches to be made before the Inn is officially "done". A patio will be built along the front for outdoor dining. And it has the only liquor store I've ever seen with a fireplace! A little odd, perhaps, but I will definitely be returning, especially since all of the other pubs in Langford have taken a severe nosedive lately or shut down all together.

#16 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

. The new pub is in the location of the old restaurant, the cold beer and wine shop is in what used to be the pub. Perhaps the quality of the food is what will bring in the patrons.

#17 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

$12 for a hotdog? Really?

Go to Costco and get one with a pop for 1/4 of that.

I am sorry LJ but need to comment on the Costco Dog
I agree that the Costco Dogs are good and inexpensive but you really get what you pay for.

Costco Dog 1.99 and what you get for that;

Cafeteria Style
People put their own toppings on from reservoirs that people double dip out of..who knows what falls out of their hair.mouth and noses in to the onions etc..
Decor...... an indoor beach scene complete with umbrellas...and sometimes whales causing your table to tip over when they beach themselves at the other end of the bench

Sightseeing while eating...Glutons walking by with over priced stuff..screaming kids....Martha sitting next to you explaining to her husband why it was such a good deal for the lot of 4 home enema kits she bought. Way cheaper than SDM honey.

Eating in a Pub

$12 Dog

What you get Dog on a plate with fries cooked a few minutes ago not pulled out of oily water. Probably a toasted bun

An array of topping that are fresh

Waitresses ( I dont need to explain this)

Pool Tables TVs Music Beer etc etc

So although the occasional $1.99 snot dog from Costco may fill an immediate void I dont mind paying the price sometimes for quality .

#18 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

In all fairness this is a very sad story that could have started at the Glen Lake Inn.

For those of you that perhaps are unfamiliar with the legend, Mitzi was an entertainer that worked with ping pong balls in a very talented way.

She was murdered in Edmonton quite some time ago, and a number of us still miss her and morn her.

Yup, very sad. She was a classic. We used to go and see her at Monty's when we were at college. She was a great entertainer, amazing what she could do with matches or a flute:o

An old friend also had one of her autographed ping pong balls on display for years, dont know what happened to it.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

An old friend also had one of her autographed ping pong balls on display for years, dont know what happened to it.

I suspect he got married.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

I am sorry LJ but need to comment on the Costco Dog
I agree that the Costco Dogs are good and inexpensive but you really get what you pay for.

Costco Dog 1.99 and what you get for that;

Cafeteria Style
People put their own toppings on from reservoirs that people double dip out of..who knows what falls out of their hair.mouth and noses in to the onions etc..
Decor...... an indoor beach scene complete with umbrellas...and sometimes whales causing your table to tip over when they beach themselves at the other end of the bench

Sightseeing while eating...Glutons walking by with over priced stuff..screaming kids....Martha sitting next to you explaining to her husband why it was such a good deal for the lot of 4 home enema kits she bought. Way cheaper than SDM honey.

That's quite a picture you painted!:D

BTW I stumbled over SDM for a minute, thought it might be an abbreviation for something else.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users