Photo
- - - - -

The Root Cellar | McKenzie @ Blenkinsop & Hillside @ Prior (in planning)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

The Root Cellar, a popular locally-owned market the specializes in fresh, locally grown vegetables and fruits, currently has one location at 1286 McKenzie (at Blenkinsop). In recent weeks the proprietors of the market have begun engaging residents of the Quadra/Hillside neighbourhood and gathering feedback for a new location at Hillside and Prior (between Cook and Quadra streets).

Presently at Hillside and Prior stands a corner store. The owners of the corner store also own adjacent rental properties that would presumably be torn down to make way for either a larger store or on-site parking, or both, should the Root Cellar proposal move forward.

http://www.therootcellar.ca/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Ah, nice find, Mike....
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Root Cellar and Red Barn Market stores have long been absent from the inner city. The Root Cellar at this location will do very well, I'm sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Mixed feelings. I like places like Much More Foods and they are a dying breed in the city that said being able to walk to the root cellar is very appealing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

This is great news! I hope this works out, the current location is just a bit far for my taste. Good, cheap produce.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

The proposal has fallen through with the cost of the land apparently being the largest stumbling block.

Looks like the two slum homes will continue to be a point of contention in the neighbourhood for a while yet, but one does wonder if perhaps Red Barn will see this as an opportunity to step in and open a new store. Or maybe not, just musing.

Know it all.

#7 littlemisssunshine

littlemisssunshine
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I was excited about the idea of this location as well! Mike, where did you hear about the proposal falling through??

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

A nearby neighbour was alerted of the collapse of the sale, and then he passed it on to me.

It really is too bad but if the owners of the dilapidated houses and the corner store were unwilling to budge on their asking price the concept would have been far too expensive.

Know it all.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Talk about a twist of fate. It now appears that the corner store is closing with a liquidation sale and the Root Cellar has indeed reached an agreement with the owners.

We'll keep digging into this.

Know it all.

#10 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

You hear any more on this Mike? My wife and her yippie friends (yuppie+hippie) were bouncing around with glee when I mentioned this, as its just down the street

cakes..

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

^^^^ Welcome to vibrantvictoria littlemisssunshine.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Nothing new at this point other than the two sides having reached an agreement. I'll keep everyone posted with any info that comes my way.

Know it all.

#13 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

The clearance sales signs are up in the window now. Everything must go!

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

The Root Cellar on McKenzie is open while undergoing renovations that will double the size of the store within a few weeks.

#15 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Just saw the original location now has fresh meats (vs. frozen local stuff). Have missed a good local butcher in the area since Orr closed (and when I'm too lazy to head farther out for Red Barn). Local pork, beef, lamb & chicken, including some marinated items, roasts and a bunch of turkey sausages. Pepperoni's (regular & bison). It's called "The Chop Shop". Cashier said there'll be a deli as well when "the wall" comes down. Hopefully similar selection at the Hillside one, when they open.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Work is progressing on the new Root Cellar location at Hillside Ave and Prior Street. The two dilapidated houses that once stood behind the corner store are gone and the lots used for parking.

Know it all.

#17 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

How did I miss that? I drove by there this week

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Noticed the building has been painted from yellow to that dark olive green used all over town. There's even a building across the street using the same colour

#19 Darryl

Darryl
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Work on the Hillside site hasn't progressed beyond what's visible in the photo above. Presumably there is a contamination issue  and a dispute with the former owner over who pays for it. What blows my mind is that there has been a excavator just sitting there for months. Isn't Don Mann Excavating charging for the use of that thing? Who can afford to just park a machine there while a dispute is been resolved? Can anyone make any sense of this?

• Mike K. likes this

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the update.

Most likely Don Mann has no immediate need for the machine and it's not losing them any money by sitting on-site.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users