Photo
- - - - -

Tudor House Pub | Esquimalt (destroyed in 2013)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

Tudor House Pub caught fire at 2:00 AM this morning and was still smouldering at 6:00 AM this morning as I write this. Building is a total lose and fire fighters where, and heard fire fighter telling the owner the where going to need to bring in a bulldozer.

Pic forwarded to be posted.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

Tudor House Pub fire, as seen from downtown. Doug Clement Photography.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

June 13, 2013

Firefighters called to Tudor House Pub in Esquimalt to investigate report of smoke

Fire crews were sent to the Tudor House Pub in Esquimalt in the mid-afternoon on Thursday after reports of smoke coming from the basement area.

Firefighters investigated but no source of smoke could be pinpointed. Clearing of the area was underway at 4 p.m.

http://www.timescolo...-smoke-1.321100
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

http://globalnews.ca...-esquimalt-pub/

#5 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

If it happens in Esquimalt the TC usually is behind :(

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

06:20 July 16th
Image: http://i.imgur.com/J0voTHj.jpg

Sorry for the huge pic. Can't edit from phone.

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

^at least you can post pictures from your phone... just tried to post mine... link won't take! I know the owner that was the managing partner. He has really been trying to change the menu and atmosphere here. Wanted to talk to him this morning, but just couldn't bring myself to more then a pat on the back as he watched his families business turn to a total lose.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#8 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

Very sad. Building was built in 1904.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

Doug Clement Photography.

#10 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

Being a member of the RCN, I have dropped quite a few sheckles :cheers: into the old girl. I really hope the owner can rebuild, lot of memories there.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

CFAX staffer Pamela McCall was there as a patron last night, and a waitress asked her if their group smelled smoke. They replied "yes, it smells a bit like a campfire". The waitress said that people had been putting out cigarettes in some planters adjacent to the outdoor seating area.

That was the end of the discussion.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

One of the most devastating effects of a business fire like this is that a number of people have instantly lost their place of employment.

My heart goes out to the employees and their families. The building can be rebuilt with insurance money. The family mortgage payment however, relies on income.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

My heart goes out to the employees and their families. The building can be rebuilt with insurance money. The family mortgage payment however, relies on income.

Of course, you can self-insure yourself against this type of income loss. Sell and downgrade your car, use a line of credit that you have pre-arranged, dip into your RRSPs. Heck, you can default 100% on your mortgage for 6 months if you need to. It's a sad day, for sure, but again, you'd be surprised how resilient people are.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Tudor House the future site of a condo project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Tudor House the future site of a condo project?

Huh? I don't think so.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Oops, I confused the Tudor House Pub site with the BC Liquor Store proposal kitty corner from the pub.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

TC links online article to their FB page, comments ensue:

Funny how the biggest newspaper in town, and the biggest news station, CFAX, neither of them let their fans directly post photos etc. to their FB walls. CBC, CTV Vancouver Island and every other radio station does.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Old school mentality of controlling information, perhaps?

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

Old school mentality of controlling information, perhaps?

No doubt, but it's the "new school" way of getting news content. Why not use it? Posts about the fire on my page have been seen 38,924 times. I was lucky enough to have a photographer on scene before 6am sending me photos, I was re-posting as quick as he was sending them.

#20 briggzee1

briggzee1
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Sad day for sure..I don't live in Victoria anymore but I worked at the Tudor for 10 years and it was shocking to see the pictures this morning. A lot of good memories there. I would be really suprised if it was re built as a Pub..that corner has condo project written all over it now I would think but who knows.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users