I'm pleased with the materials.
Taken today:

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Very nice, thanks gumgum.

Now who says they don't build 10-storey buildings in James Bay ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

wow, the window pattern in this building is crazy, but it makes the building very interesting to look at! Seems like a decent building, especially like the corner windows, the brick work is nice, not too sure about the stone work, but I think it will look better as it ages, and finally the bare concrete wall should be a thing of the past, quite unfortunate really.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

What's with the blank walls? Is it beyond the skills of modern architects to activate all four walls of a building? The Mosiac and Parc Residences managed to do it.

You can see in the close up the thickness of the stone cladding--it's not the cheap two inch thick veneer. That's nice.

The views from the Harbour Towers ain't so great now.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Too bad that lower portion is so set back from the street.

I just noticed today you get a pretty good view of this place from the inner harbour.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

What's with the blank walls? Is it beyond the skills of modern architects to activate all four walls of a building? The Mosiac and Parc Residences managed to do it.

What he said.

The corner windows are cool, and the alternating window pattern per floor is nice.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

Was the Oswego heatly contested by the JBNEA when it went through the proposal stages?

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

You know I don't remember anything about its passing. Perhaps it was a previous zoning?

It has a whole new look!

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

It passed under the condition of some sort of public art piece and and few other minor perks, but then the development changed hands and none of the promised perks will be realised.
Shucks - no Rock, Paper, Scissors - or whatever it's called.

#10 ILVND

ILVND
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:15 AM

Really like the stone on the building! Saw an empty pallet - K2 Stone Quarries. Took a look at their website and it seems they've got a 4" thick stone on the Oswego... I agree, nicer than the 2", although their 2" looks cool too! 8)

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

I agree it does very nice. better than the washed down fake river stone.

It has a whole new look!

#12 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

the JBNEA was taken totally by surprise by this one. It came up in the summer when everyone was away.

I like the alternating window pattern, but don't particularly like the red brick. It reminds me of some of the more dreary new industrial buildings along the 401 as it goes through Toronto.
Pieta VanDyke

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

I'm going to have to head down there and take more pics.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

Yes, please do!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:47 PM

Ask and ye shall receive...

#16 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the pics, gumgum. Barra has a point re. the look of the brick facade, but maybe the balcony treatment will provide just the right counterpoint to make it more interesting looking. Or maybe not. It's nice that the windows alternate to make a pattern, though.

On one of the skyscraperpage threads for Seattle (I think it was the "first hill" section**), one or two forumers are starting to point out that all the glass & concrete is getting boring. They're asking, why can't we build a few traditional looking highrises ...with brick cladding? They're referring to the kind of office buildings Victoria (for eg.) had with Permanent or Campbell, and the sort of apartment buildings you'd see on the upper west side by NYC's Central Park. It's an interesting question: everywhere you get this revival of craftsman-style SFHs, but for the multi-storeys, its usually exposed concrete & glass.

There is that faux yodel-ay-dee-hee chateau high rise stuff proposed for some of the Western Comm areas (Soaring Puke, isn't that what someone here called it? :lol: ), but in terms of referring back to early 20th century high rise styles -- martinis, Cole Porter, urban chic, old money? -- no one seems to be doing that. Yet.

**It's [url=http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=120072&page=2:0852a]on this page[/url:0852a], about 1/3 to halfway down.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#17 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

I've seen a few new highrise buildings built in Sao Paulo which have an authentic looking 1920s - 1930s skyscraper style. Very refreshing.

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

here they are - http://forum.skyscra...ad.php?t=123126

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

I love that sort of stuff. Beats cheap faux heritage by a mile. Victoria is really missing the boat.

Give me a 10-story version of this one at Johnson and Douglas:

And a 6-story version of this one at Yates and Douglas:

#20 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

That one is certainly outstanding in its field eh?

Yes, it would look nice in an urban context too..

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users