2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

So Andrew Weaver would like to lead the Greens.

I like Andrew Weaver.  I disagree with some of his stuff, but I like him.

I also like any party that can steal NDP votes.

• Bingo, AndrewReeve and lanforod like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

So Andrew Weaver would like to lead the Greens.

I like Andrew Weaver.  I disagree with some of his stuff, but I like him.

I also like any party that can steal NDP votes.

Elizabeth May never seemed like a leader to me. Andrew would be better.

Edit: ah, this is provincial - my bad. One election at a time, VHF!!!

Edited by lanforod, 27 January 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Makes sense if you have a strong candidate and they are a sitting member for them to be leader of the party.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Interesting comment today at lunch with a few old farts that run in the political arena. Bets are on that Stu Young will run against Horgan in the next election....I'll reserve my thoughts on this for now....but that would make for quite a race...

• John M. and DavidSchell like this

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

Interesting comment today at lunch with a few old farts that run in the political arena. Bets are on that Stu Young will run against Horgan in the next election....I'll reserve my thoughts on this for now....but that would make for quite a race...

Oh my!  Can you imagine?  That would be amazing.

• AndrewReeve likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

No worries, like another party leader, Mr. Horgan, if not elected in his own riding, would simply tell an elected member of his party to stand down and run in that safe riding. I understand there is precedence for this in BC politics.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Really?  I sure hope it's for the Greens.

• rjag likes this

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

Really?  I sure hope it's for the Greens.

Oh my, I almost spit out my swig of beer.  Too funny Bingo.   :banana:

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Oh my!  Can you imagine?  That would be amazing.

Don't see it. Stu has too many business interests.

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

rjag, on 30 Jan 2015 - 5:05 PM, said:

Hope he doesn't run or if he does he loses, I want him to stay on as mayor.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hope he doesn't run or if he does he loses, I want him to stay on as mayor.

Nah...Langford will be fine, runner-up Shebib will look after things.

• rjag likes this

#12 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

No worries, like another party leader, Mr. Horgan, if not elected in his own riding, would simply tell an elected member of his party to stand down and run in that safe riding. I understand there is precedence for this in BC politics.

Unless the NDP loses, which is looking increasingly likely as each day goes by

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

Yes I think a lot of moderates are very alarmed by what is happening in Alberta.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

How so?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

How so?

http://news.national...with-oil-prices

The collapse of crude oil prices that had former Progressive Conservative premier Jim Prentice warning Albertans to brace for a $7-billion hole in provincial revenues will result in his NDP successors tabling a budget Tuesday that forecasts the largest-ever deficit in the province’s history.

Finance Minister Joe Ceci hinted this week the deficit will be just shy of $6.5 billion — nearly $1.5 billion more than Prentice forecast last March in a budget that was never passed.

Non-renewable resource revenue was projected to fall from $8.9 billion to $3.6 billion this year and income tax revenue was expected to tumble with it.

It’s a gigantic hole — and analysts say there aren’t any palatable solutions in sight.

The Parkland Institute, a University of Alberta public policy think-tank, didn’t mince words in a report this week.

“The implications of this unattractive fiscal situation are obvious,” noted author Melville McMillan, professor emeritus and fellow of the University of Alberta’s Institute for Public Economics. “Albertans will be faced with significant cuts to provincial public services or they will face higher taxes.”

deficit_surplus_online1-1.jpg?w=620&qual

#16 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

What does that have to do with the NDP? The government doesn't control oil prices and this particular one isn't responsible for the fiscal mess.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#17 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:28 AM

Very thought provoking, but I can't see it happening.There are so many factors that contradict his style of "leadership." He would no longer be a big fish in a very small pond. Would no longer have a bobblehead council to march in lockstep with his vision. Would no longer be able to single handedly ram his ideas through. Would take his marching orders from the Premier. Increased media scrutiny and the inability to appoint an "acting MLA" for most of the year. He is probably the only local that could give Horgan a run.

#18 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

http://www.vancouver...6921/story.html

When might the Port Mann project realistically expect to reach the break even point? Within 12 to 15 years, I was told Monday by a representative of the TI corporation. Meaning 2028 at the earliest and 2031 at the latest, or more than a decade behind those heady initial projections from the Liberals.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

Meh, the journalist is trying to create a controversy out of nothing. It doesn't matter that it will take longer to pay off -- good news is it will be paid off. 

Personally I'd love it if we tolled the CoV's bridges until they were paid off. All residents of municipalities that did not contribute to construction must pay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

No information has been provided that back up that it will be paid off. How many skytrain or LRT lines will there be by 2030, when it is supposedly going to start breaking even due to increased volumes?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users