• LocationSaanich

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Would it withstand an 8.5?

#82 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Would it withstand an 8.5?

“It was built like a battleship,” Le Fevre said.

http://www.timescolo...k-bay-1.2083741

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:53 AM

I hope that doesn't mean it would sink.

• http likes this

#84 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

TC says

Hydro doesn’t have a use for the 20,000-square-foot building, and issued a tender to find someone to buy and fix up the two-storey structure built in 1892 and develop a financially viable plan for its future.

“It is early days but truly underway,” Le Fevre said of his latest project during a recent tour.

The Powerhouse’s tall smokestack still stands out in the Rock Bay area. These days, it’s tufted with grass growing from its upper bricks. Also included in the project is Hydro’s three-level, 6,000- square foot brick building at 502 Pembroke St. Built in 1888, it was the base for the Open Door from 1998 to 2003.

The Hydro sale has not closed yet. Le Fevre and Hydro are continuing to work together on the plan for the properties. No sale value has been released.

The Powerhouse will be rented or leased and retain its industrial zoning, Le Fevre said. His challenge is to respect its heritage value while finding a realistic way for it to be used by one or more tenants. Residential space is not planned.

http://www.timescolo...k-bay-1.2083741

too bad the greater vic art gallery has to stay on moss st. it's not too late for them (+ that donor) to change their minds is it? this would be a badass new home for it, and centrepiece of a revitalized rock bay neighbourood. the 'design district' just a couple blocks away after all. they could just leave that big powerhouse building empty (clean it up of course) & use it as an entrance hall & for large-scale installations. there would be opportunity to establish a connection to the waterfront & all kinds of things there.

b1-1013-clr-lefevre-jpg.jpg

like a victoria-scaled turbine hall of the tate modern in london:

14563442676_4199c0a447_k.jpgTate Modern by jacquemart, on Flickr

i'm a bit surprised nobody thought of that before. some things just make me sad :unsure:

edit: lefebvre & the art gallery should trade places. lefebvre should convert the old heritage art gallery into rentals & the art gallery should be working on their expansion at rock bay :thumbsup:

Edited by amor de cosmos, 14 October 2015 - 10:14 AM.

• gumgum, Nparker, jklymak and 4 others like this

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

Speaking of big chimneys, and I am, behind the RBCM and the Douglas Building there is a big ass chimney there, is that also some sort of power plant? What offices are in the Douglas building, it looks pretty dreary from the outside.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

...What offices are in the Douglas building, it looks pretty dreary from the outside.

Last I worked there, it was home to the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance. That was 15+ years ago mind you.

#87 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

617 Government is probably the most important government building in town. Ministry of Finance and Treasury Board. Old and archaic inside, but functional.
"I know nothing"

#88 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:46 PM

It also has a large walking tunnel that goes from the bottom the Legislature Building in to the lower floor of the Finance Building.The tunnel goes under Government street. Ive been in it a number of times but after 911 it became more secure. there is now a Chain link fence with a locked gate at the halfway point under the street.I took a video the last time I was in it.there are a number of conduits in it to along with water lines and other things. I have a few pictures too somewhere here

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:06 PM

I'd love to see those photos, HB.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

The First three pictures are the Tunnel and the entrance to the Tunnel from the Legislature side

The next 3 are tunnels inside the Legislature in the basement

The Video is the tunnel under Government street taken from the Finance Building side.

http://youtu.be/h58tuwq08DM

• amor de cosmos, Gary H, todd and 1 other like this

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

Awesome!
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:48 PM

Ya not many people know it exists let along walked through it.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:08 AM

Speaking of big chimneys, and I am, behind the RBCM and the Douglas Building there is a big ass chimney there, is that also some sort of power plant? What offices are in the Douglas building, it looks pretty dreary from the outside.

The chimney is indeed a sort of power plant. It's the steam boiler chimney for the steam plant that provides heat to the legislature and adjacent buildings.
  • LJ likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

I was hoping, near the end of the video, that you'd see HB's hand with his huge set of keys to every building in town, sort through them and open that gate.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#95 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:34 AM

That funny because when I film place I try to make sure there is no identifiable parts of me in the videos or pictures. Sometimes Ive had to edit out clear reflections in windows,fireplaces, mirrors and even bathroom tiles. I usually don't mind if a partial shot of my hand is in it

#96 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

It looks like a set from the last season of 24.

#97 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:57 AM

Back in the day, employees used to use the tunnel to go back and forth to the legislature as a matter of course.

...too bad the greater vic art gallery has to stay on moss st. it's not too late for them (+ that donor) to change their minds is it?

Re: not too late, there's a magnificent/prominent site being created on the Vic West waterfront right beside a new bridge. The bridge project itself is having all sorts of financial issues and the magnificent/prominent site is reserved for a whole lot of nothing.

Edited by aastra, 15 October 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#98 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

how does this look :cool:

wvoio7.jpg

(original pic stolen from here)

Edited by amor de cosmos, 15 October 2015 - 02:33 PM.

• gumgum, Nparker, tedward and 1 other like this

#99 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

TOTAL COMPLETE FLUKE in today's news....

http://www.designboo...sia-10-16-2015/

http://www.dezeen.co...a-c-foundation/

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#100 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

As the clock keeps ticking, it appears almost certain a sewage treatment plant will be located in Victoria’s Rock Bay neighbourhood.

All four treatment options thought to be viable by the Capital Regional District’s consultant team and its technical oversight panel include a “significant site” at Rock Bay with upgrades at Clover Point to handle water flows, members of the core area liquid waste management committee were told Wednesday.

http://www.timescolo...plant-1.2104282

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users