• This topic is locked This topic is locked
235 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

Please use this thread for discussing articles published by the Victoria Times Colonist.

The Admins and Mods are offering this thread as a place to discuss the content of the Times Colonist articles and ask that you refrain from posting commentary, criticism or remarks on the TC's business practices, editing or journalistic style.  We have other places for that.  Here we'll keep this thread more focused, to just discussing the article content.

As a reminder, when quoting articles published by the TC we ask that you only copy and paste the first couple of paragraphs in a quote, along with the headline and a link back to the article on the TC's site. 

Thank you. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

The rest of the media is still open game right?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

The rest of the media is still open game right?

For other local media, we'll be taking a bit of the same approach shortly.

We think this is a good idea that will benefit us all.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

Excerpts and comments on TC articles already go into the corresponding thread elsewhere on here. For example an article on The Janion is added to the Janion thread under downtown development and tent city articles go under social issues. Pulling everything here creates a big mess.

What is the purpose of this thread?
  • Nparker, Benezet and sdwright.vic like this

#5 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hmmm. I think something fishy is going on here and I doubt I'm alone. Someone put the coals to you guys.
  • Rob Randall, Benezet and sdwright.vic like this

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

Someone put the coals to you guys.

I don't think that's the case.  There's been a general sense of animosity building amongst some folks here towards other media outlets in town.  And yes, even us mods can fall for the trap and poke fun at the other guys too for botching a headline or failing to proofread the AutoCorrect's work. 

We feel that as VV increasingly becomes established as a credible source of information and mature discussion on matters in our community, it's better for us to do away with the attacks on other media outlets. 

• Bingo and nagel like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

Excerpts and comments on TC articles already go into the corresponding thread elsewhere on here. For example an article on The Janion is added to the Janion thread under downtown development and tent city articles go under social issues. Pulling everything here creates a big mess.

What is the purpose of this thread?

We can discuss articles here that do not fit into a category we already have running.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

Adding to sebberry's and VHF's posts...

We've decided that there's little value in having a thread critical of the paper or other media. If anything, it's unfortunate to have to catalogue the slide of journalism (due to whatever reason, be it budget, be it morale, be it corporate policy) and the criticism voiced has clearly, even after a decade, had no impact other than to upset individuals. We decided that we should focus discussions on local media in a different way, which we hope this will be met with everyone's support.

I did make one final post in the old TC thread, however, since it is important for everyone to understand that a lack of money is not the only issue facing some outlets. I do feel we are not being served by our media to the degree we ought to be and their priorities have shifted, but that's neither here nor there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

Sorry, but VV just jumped the shark with this.
  • Rob Randall, Hmmm and sdwright.vic like this

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

We can criticize highrise condos, rental apartments, dull architects, tent cities, police shenanigans, city hall staff, bike path plans, bad service at restaurants, shady investment advice on radio, annoying malfunctioning electric signs, bars that serve less than a pint, local brokers that rip off their clients, car dealerships with rude salesmen, cruise ships belching pollution, the hopelessness of commuter rail, hypocritical politicians, businesses that fail to shovel icy snow from their frontage and pot shops that don't pay taxes but we can't say anything about the most prominent, the oldest, the most respected media outlet in Victoria?
  • Nparker, Benezet and sdwright.vic like this

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

No need to apologize.

We'd rather focus on issues affecting the TC that have more to do with the operation of the paper, its union issues, its management, achievements. We don't need to criticize them for spelling mistakes or whatever else was fodder for the old thread. **** happens. We get it. It took us a while to come to that conclusion, I'll be the first to admit that.

If you feel this discussion has lost relevance because you were expecting continued criticism of the paper, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:37 PM

You guys are a complicated bunch, I must admit. One minute we're dodging lumps of coal chucked by folks upset with criticism of the TC, the next we're dodging lumps of coal chucked by folks upset that we've rejigged the nature of this topic.

I think we all just need a snickers.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#13 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

What happens going forward if they take a whacked out editorial stance? Like elimination of all snickers in the world/universe etc..

#14 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

I agree it's not constructive to point out minor typos and obvious editing errors. The Globe and Mail recently published a column by its public editor on these types of mistakes and she said the cause is almost always due to rushing and not triple-checking copy. Generally, I don't care about these types of errors unless they're funny (Woman Beats Off Cougar) or so numerous and egregious they can't be ignored (Cheknews.ca).

I think it's vital that there is somewhere that TC content can be discussed respectfully.

Most of the unconstructive and bizarre comments came from moderators, anyway.
  • Jill and 57WestHills like this

#15 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

Ah nice - "moderator" Mike K. gets the last word (a torrent of criticism for the newspaper in this town) and then the thread is locked. Then VV declares it's taking the high road.
  This post will likely get deleted... but a final word.
  It's fine to criticize anyone and everyone, but I think some feel VV was continually belittling the TC while pumping itself up as some kind of paragon of journalism. Well, that newspaper certainly isn't the Globe and Mail or the Toronto Star, but it's actually not bad for a town this size. And VV, you're not quite the titan of journalism you think  (or some of your moderators seem to think). Perhaps you will become so one day - stranger things have happened.  It's the extreme views, the black-and-white, that are irritating.  (P.S. If VV is looking for a good online model, try the Tyee.)

• Benezet likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:09 AM

The Tyee?

http://thetyee.ca/About/Funding/

Investors: Over half of the Tyee’s revenues are from two ongoing investors. They are Working Enterprises, a Vancouver-based labour-affiliated investment group that has as part of its mission funding socially-responsible organizations, and Eric Peterson and Christina Munck, whose B.C.-based Tula Foundation funds a wide range of progressive programs including those of the Hakai Institute on the B.C. Central Coast.

Anyway... let's carry on.

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:12 AM

This is giving me a flash back of when the do you really need a realtor or not thread got shut down because a realtor got upset by it... just sayin'.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 28 April 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:31 AM

This is giving me a flash back of when the do you really need a realtor or not thread got shut down because a realtor got upset by it... just sayin'.

I'm unfamiliar with that case, but would it perchance be the same realtor who spent a lot on ads here?

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:38 AM

Ah nice - "moderator" Mike K. gets the last word (a torrent of criticism for the newspaper in this town) and then the thread is locked. Then VV declares it's taking the high road.
This post will likely get deleted... but a final word.
It's fine to criticize anyone and everyone, but I think some feel VV was continually belittling the TC while pumping itself up as some kind of paragon of journalism. Well, that newspaper certainly isn't the Globe and Mail or the Toronto Star, but it's actually not bad for a town this size. And VV, you're not quite the titan of journalism you think (or some of your moderators seem to think). Perhaps you will become so one day - stranger things have happened. It's the extreme views, the black-and-white, that are irritating. (P.S. If VV is looking for a good online model, try the Tyee.)

Since you're bringing the other discussion here, it would be far more productive if you responded to the comments I made about the TC's finances (considering your claim the paper can't afford investigative journalism, which I beg to differ) instead of taking shots at us -- again. You're purposefully sidestepping opportunities to react to fair comments about the paper and instead keep flinging mud. Which is ironic, wouldn't you agree?

We're not a stalwart of journalism, never have been. We're a forum. We get called on our mistakes immediately by the members here --- we are a live discussion forum, after all. We deal with our mistakes (sometimes take our mistakes on the chin). But we're accountable to our audience and give everyone (including TC employees) the opportunity engage us.

Look, we've created this thread to get away from the criticism over petty mistakes ...and you're complaining, again, so it's clear to me that you're not interested in working with us to turn things around, and that's fine, but your welcome here has worn thin.
  • Bingo likes this

Know it all.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:45 AM

We closed no such thread. If you're interested it's right here: http://vibrantvictor...or-when-buying/

Benezet, breathe!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users