• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

MORE:   http://www.vicnews.c.../409835355.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like Vickers decided to withdraw. I don't see how you blame the DBVA for that.

As I said in the other thread, all Vickers had to do is sit back and let the buskers festival fail this summer. Next year he would have been back in charge again. By shutting down the other festivals in what appears to be spite he is alienating more people and will be making it very hard for himself to ever get business again.

#3 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Sounds like Vickers decided to withdraw. I don't see how you blame the DBVA for that.

As I said in the other thread, all Vickers had to do is sit back and let the buskers festival fail this summer. Next year he would have been back in charge again. By shutting down the other festivals in what appears to be spite he is alienating more people and will be making it very hard for himself to ever get business again.

I'm not sure he wants to do the festivals anymore. I suspect he'll run for mayor or council in 2018.

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:48 PM

Seriously, I don't think people care so much who puts on a festival, just that it is there, and fun. If he were to start up again in a year, he'd be just fine, attendance wise.

#5 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

I dunno.... the article specifically states it was the boards of directors of these two festivals who pulled the pin, not Vickers.

#6 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

Can we get this thread renamed - there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the DVBA or Tourism Victoria had anything to do with this

(yes, this is my old rant again - I really don't like VV's thread naming policy and think it needs a major rethink. But given the mods are doing most of the naming I object to...)

• Jill likes this

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

Can we get this thread renamed - there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the DVBA or Tourism Victoria had anything to do with this

(yes, this is my old rant again - I really don't like VV's thread naming policy and think it needs a major rethink. But given the mods are doing most of the naming I object to...)

Ok Coreyburger, let's start with what the name of this thread should look like. I think I agree with you that the name of the thread should provide insight to the topic and help posters stay focused on that topic. 

...and as far as your "old rant" goes, I have yet to be made aware that there was a naming policy...other than what I mentioned above. I also believe that for the most part the person that starts the thread has the responsibility to name the thread that he or she has created. Sure we might tweak the title when and if the topic matter morphs into something slightly different to what it started out to be.

Mods don't wake up in the morning and start switching naming conventions around in order to confuse and anger our readers and contributors.... we just do it to confuse and anger you. :) All joking aside, we are more than happy to receive your suggestions as to what might benefit the end user. 

• Bingo likes this

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

Last month, Vickers announced the Victoria International Buskers Festival would be cancelled in 2017 in the face of funding cuts and new competition.

Downtown organizations had cut funding to the buskers festival by 25 per cent. As well, the Downtown Victoria Business Association and its partners announced they would jointly stage a rival Downtown Buskers Festival in 2017.

Tourism Victoria had declared its intention to end financial support of Vickers’ buskers festival, throwing its support behind the new Downtown Buskers Festival instead. Paul Nursey, CEO of Tourism Victoria, has stated there is a “deep and irreparable schism” between Vickers and his organization and other sponsors of the new buskers festival.

Vickers said losing his six-year-old Victoria International Buskers Festival took a toll.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

I'm not sure he wants to do the festivals anymore. I suspect he'll run for mayor or council in 2018.

Yup that's my feeling that he'll run for council.

The guy has had the rug pulled out from under him, he needs some time to hit the reset button.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

Seriously, I don't think people care so much who puts on a festival, just that it is there, and fun. If he were to start up again in a year, he'd be just fine, attendance wise.

I agree that people who attend don't care (or even know in most cases) who puts on a festival. My point was that the people who fund and back him aren't going to support him in the future.

Edited by spanky123, 06 January 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#11 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

Move the Kite Festival to North Saanich and the Chalk Festival to Oak Bay until Victoria gets the politics out of these types of events.  Victoria makes a mess of everything.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

Chalk is going to happen at Uptown:

http://shopuptown.ca...k-art-festival/

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Move the Kite Festival to North Saanich and the Chalk Festival to Oak Bay until Victoria gets the politics out of these types of events.  Victoria makes a mess of everything.

Someone once said " go fly your chalk...and kite that up to experience" 

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Every time I see this thread I want to call it the "Chalk & Cheese" festival. :wacko:

#15 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

On the subject of festivals, I took my kids to the new and definitely not improved buskers festival. We saw a couple of good acts but missed the bleacher seating. The venues were so spread out that we didn't feel encouraged to leave Ship Point (which was supposed to have two stages but only had one).

#16 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

On the subject of festivals, I took my kids to the new and definitely not improved buskers festival. We saw a couple of good acts but missed the bleacher seating. The venues were so spread out that we didn't feel encouraged to leave Ship Point (which was supposed to have two stages but only had one).

agreed! i wasn't too impressed, we took in a few shows (over two days, ok maybe more then a few 7-8 of them i think) and i was disappointed.. there were no bleachers(when i asked this on their face book it was due to new weight restrictions down at ships point) all the stages were so spread out you had to lug around town, only ships point had some seating(fold up chairs) otherwise you had to sit on highly bird pooped ground(could they have no pressure washed this?), the acts just were not up to par compared to past years.. though some were really great acts (daughter loved Les Vitamines) there wasn't the diversity that previous years had

#17 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

Les Vitamines was our favourite act, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users