930 Fort Street
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 930 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: contact agent
930 Fort Street is a proposal to build a 12-storey condominium tower with ground floor retail space in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about 930 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 930 Fort Street | Condos, commercial | 12-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:02 AM

Sakura Project Management plans to build a 62-unit condominium complex with ground floor retail space. They hope to be in the ground by mid-2018.

The developer said the soil conditions on this site are very difficult to work with, and they will try to go for approximately 40 parking spots if they can get them.

A community meeting for the proposal is planned for the 17th of May.

And next to this site along the View Street frontage of the property is a separate proposal for a purpose-built rental building. More info here.

Residential-buildings-planned-for-parking-lot-next-to-View-Towers-937-930.jpg
A surface parking lot between the 900-blocks of Fort and View streets (marked in blue) is the focus of two development proposals, one a condominium project and the other a purpose-built rental.

Residential buildings planned for parking lot next to View Towers
http://victoria.citi...to-view-towers/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

I guess this will need its own Fort St. parking entrance? That would suck--the good thing about the previous whole lot proposal was the parking entrance on View, which gave the short Fort St. facade full use of the commercial space. It would also avoid putting the entrance across the future bike path. There's going to hardly be any room for retail on Fort.

Fort Street, previous proposal:

fortground.jpg

Edited by Rob Randall, 10 May 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

That previous proposal was pretty cool. Too bad it didn't happen.  :(

• Rob Randall likes this

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

View Towers is just in the way. It has such an unfortunate physical presence: too wide, too far from the street on Quadra, too close to the property line in the middle of the block (the parking lot). It hinders the potential of every property on that block and makes any possible development or redevelopment less than optimal right out of the gate. All of the property owners on that block should have realized it long ago. Why they didn't get together and come up with some mutually beneficial plan to replace it and thus free the potential of the adjacent properties... it just boggles my mind.

(You could still have an abundance of affordable rentals on that block, just not in the form of an awkwardly situated widescraper.)

Edited by aastra, 10 May 2017 - 11:48 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

I can confirm the parking entrance will be via View Street. However, a bicycle parking entrance will be accessible via Fort Street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

I can confirm the parking entrance will be via View Street. However, a bicycle parking entrance will be accessible via Fort Street.

Does this mean renderings might be forthcoming?   :)  :confused:  :)

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yup. I'm working on them.

The floors will have about 9' ceilings 2-11 floors, about 12 on the penthouse level. About 32-odd parking stalls. The site is very difficult for underground parking.

Know it all.

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

Could the 

...The site is very difficult for underground parking.

Could the design incorporate some parking at grade like the developers of the Jukebox are doing?

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

No, there will be no parking at grade. The floor plate is too small for that. There will be two commercial units on the ground floor.

Know it all.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

So half the units will not have any parking then.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Yup. That's right.

Know it all.

#12 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

Renderings are now available on the city's website courtesy of Wensley Architecture.

Mike's previous  article mentioned the parking challenges, and the current proposal is for 32 parking stalls.  Unit breakdown:  10 studios, 30 1-bedroom units, 20 2-bedroom units, and 2 3-bedroom units.

920Fort-1.JPG

920Fort-3.JPG

920Fort-4.JPG

920Fort-2.JPG

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 31 May 2017 - 01:55 PM.

• jonny likes this

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Handsome rendering, but about 1/2 as tall as it should be.

• Nparker, 2F2R and Samuel like this

#14 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

Handsome rendering, but about 1/2 as tall as it should be.

I have to imagine that the site challenges (mainly the soil conditions) have played a role in the reduced height here, just as they have impacted the ability of the developer to provide more parking.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

Very good. Thanks, Kapten!

Know it all.

#16 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Finally, something to soften the look of the lone tree ... 

• AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

No balconies or am I just not recognizing them?

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,171 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Looks like you might be right.

If you think about it, balconies are one of the least used spaces in a condo or an apartment. I personally would much rather have the extra 40 square feet of living space over a balcony.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#19 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

^Yes! Looks like no balconies?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

I love a balcony door/sliding door for air movement. I really don't know if I could live without one. And being high above a street but not being able to step out and look down upon it... I think that would drive me crazy. Even a tiny balcony would suffice. Or, failing that, a window that you can actually open wide and stick your head out of.

Edited by aastra, 31 May 2017 - 03:00 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)