[James Bay] Hilton Garden Inn | 9-storeys | Canceled in 2007

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

I didn't know about this. I wish I could see a rendering because it doesn't sound so hot.

Council rejects Inner Harbour hotel design; too "mediocre" and "bland"

Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, May 04, 2007

Calling it a throwback to the 1970s, Victoria councillors pulled no punches Thursday in expressing their disapproval of the design of a 155-room hotel planned to replace the Days Inn on the Inner Harbour.

"It's mediocre and it's bland and it's a world-class site," said Coun. Pam Madoff of the proposed nine-storey concrete building to be known as the Hilton Garden Inn that Mayfair Hotels and Resorts has planned for 427 Belleville St.

"It looks like a Days Inn and that is not being complimentary," said Coun. Helen Hughes.

Instead of the east-west orientation of the existing hotel, the replacement would have a north-south orientation on the lot to minimize the amount of massing toward the harbour. The building would be painted bright orange and accented with tinted glass and exterior stairwells. Each room would have a balcony.

No variances were being sought, but the building is in a development permit area meaning council approval of exterior design, building finishes and landscaping is required.

Staff had recommended a development permit be issued but the builder be asked to tone down the bright orange it had planned to use to set the building apart from others in the area.

Thomas Moore, of Moore Paterson Architects, said in a letter to council, "The building is contemporary and modern in its approach."

But councillors had nothing good to say about the proposal. Madoff said the Inner Harbour site is far too important to accept the first design through the door.

"What I personally want is a really sleek, well-considered, well-designed contemporary building that shows the world that we have contemporary architecture that holds its own with our traditional architecture," Madoff said.

"I'm not looking for this to be slightly reconfigured or reconsidered. It's a major redesign as far as I'm concerned. ... To me it's just absolutely tragic that we can't do better than this on this important site."

Coun. Dean Fortin said he is looking for a building that draws people's attention more through its design than its colour.

"This is on the Inner Harbour and I was looking for more of an inspiring design, to a certain extent, something that stands out and enhances and enriches. The design on this doesn't strike me as that," Fortin said.

"This building, however special it may be by itself, is not working in the context of the Inner Harbour," Coun. Geoff Young said, who called it "a 1970s block."

Moore was out of town and unavailable for comment, said his partner Dean Paterson.

Councillors referred the proposal back to staff to take their concerns to the applicant.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

This was the first instance of my wife knowing something before me. She told me about it last night and I said I had heard nothing about a Hilton coming to town. :oops:

Anyways, It sounds pretty bad from those descriptions. To be honest I kind of like the Days Inn. I wish that council had allowed them to redevelop their parking lot like they wanted to a couple of years back.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

"What I personally want is a really sleek, well-considered, well-designed contemporary building that shows the world that we have contemporary architecture that holds its own with our traditional architecture," Madoff said.

Like Shutters, for example? Or Aria? Or the Reef? Or the Falls? Or Parc Residences?

We all know how big a fan she is of those buildings.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

^I think in all those cases it was "nice design but too big".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Anybody who thinks the Reef or Aria are too big just isn't being realistic.

And Shutters really isn't any bigger than the other large Songhees buildings.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

Exterior stairwells? Yuk.

A Hilton?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:13 AM

^You got the bright orange exterior right on. Nice job. As for the exterior stairway, I think it's common knowledge that Hiltons are known for normally interior features being exposed to the elements.

Ba-dum da.

Seriously, glassed exterior stairwells can be found on many classic DiCastri buildings including the Richmond/Fort and Yates St medical buildings, Fisgard Parkade etc. Also, James Cheng's Shutters.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

I think we talked about this project several years ago on SSP. It's taken quite a while for it to get from the point of conception to a public design stage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, well, good thing they spent all that time on the design. :lol:

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

Can't say that I find this proposed design very appealing. Exterior staircases and exposed entrances will forever remind me of that hideous blight on the James Bay shoreline: Worldmark. It doesn't even look good in their promotions: http://www.trendwest...resort=victoria.
I shudder (Shutters?) to say it, but this time Ms. Madoff may be right.

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

She's definitely right on this one, but there's great irony in it all the same.

#12 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

Probably more accurate to say that she's right for all the wrong reasons.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

As much as I'm not a fan of Madoff, this reaction to what she has said is an example of how once someone has been vilified, it's almost impossible to do or say anything right.
I guess I'm coming from the perspective that maybe she has changed a bit over the years.
Or maybe I'm just being naive.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

I'm not vilifying her. I'm merely pointing out the contradictions in the things she says. I can't even begin to vilify her if I still don't know what she stands for.

If she's changed a bit, it sure wasn't over the years. The Falls battle was practically yesterday.

Anyway, on this particular project I agree with her 100%:

#15 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

Pam Madoff's vision statement

Quote:

Took me by surprise...

But, as I haven't seen the plans, I have nothing to say about a development proposal that I have not seen...

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

The main area where Madoff's views differ from our views is when it comes to height. She's always been an advocate of quality architecture.

I don't know why I'm saying "our views" since we all seem to disagree on most topics but I think you know what I mean! :oops:

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:23 AM

I'm not vilifying her. I'm merely pointing out the contradictions in the things she says. I can't even begin to vilify her if I still don't know what she stands for.

If she's changed a bit, it sure wasn't over the years. The Falls battle was practically yesterday.

Anyway, on this particular project I agree with her 100%:

I'm no saying you vilified her.

#18 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

The main area where Madoff's views differ from our views is when it comes to height. She's always been an advocate of quality architecture.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any "really sleek, well-considered, well-designed contemporary building that shows the world that we have contemporary architecture" buildings that she has supported? Anyone...? I can think of many she hasn't though...

Still I agree with her 100% on this one. Way to go Pam!

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

Gateway Green is pretty cool.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

Gateway Green is pretty cool.

The renderings don't do much for me, especially the backside. Perhaps once completed it'll turn out pretty cool, but I still don't think it will qualify as ""really sleek, well-considered, well-designed contemporary building that shows the world that we have contemporary architecture". Unless we're comparing ourselves to prairie cities with a population under 275,000.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users