APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1042 replies to this topic

#1041 Tony

Tony
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 07:27 AM

A current challenge for the city moving forward as pointed out at the last meeting on this development  and discussed here is it needs transport Canada permission related to plane take off zone and building height in that zone (west to east, the least frequently used take off direction I think? . Current building heights and location do not meet current guidelines.

#1042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,948 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 07:29 AM

It's a complex project. It can take a while for fourth reading. We also don't know what's going on in the background. Are there changes being sought? Is the developer re-imagining an element of the project post-approval that needs more scrutiny from the planning department?

How long has it been since Harris Green was approved? About 1.5 years, or just under. Still no activity on-site.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1043 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2024 - 05:57 AM

Two massive Victoria developments to forge ahead, others may get shelved

Developers of giant projects in Vic West and Harris Green say they hope to start construction soon despite economic challenges.

The Roundhouse project, which includes 1,870 residential units in nine towers ranging from 10 to 32 storeys, was given approval by Victoria council in January.

Mariash said work on the site at 251 Esquimalt Rd., 210 Kimta Rd. and 355 Catherine St. is dependent on working out details and ironing out wrinkles with the city.

While he had hoped to get shovels into the dirt this year, he does not expect an agreement with the city until the end of this year or early next.

He admits in any other city he may not be forging ahead having spent millions in carrying costs for the site he bought 25 years ago.

“If someone had told me it would be $200 million and not $50 million, who knows,” Mariash said. “When I started this I was 49, now I’m 77.”

https://www.timescol...shelved-9309429

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 August 2024 - 05:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users