Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7635 replies to this topic

#2981 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

Three flights daily? Are you sure? I've only seen two per day max, and two per day via Westjet, then they cut one of their direct flights to a stopover in Kelowna.

With a daily A320 and 767 flight AC will be increasing capacity.

I believe that WestJet only flies one a day now to Toronto direct over the summer and non for the rest of the year. They have also cancelled their direct to Vegas flight.

#2982 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

I believe that WestJet only flies one a day now to Toronto direct over the summer and non for the rest of the year. They have also cancelled their direct to Vegas flight.

It's less than that. WestJet is only operating one 3x week (Tues/Thur/Sat) direct flight to Toronto this summer.

Direct Vegas flight is seasonal to November and December.

#2983 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Thanks again for the heads-ups, shoeflack :)

I was able to confirm some details with the Airport Authority.

The Air Canada Rouge airplane will seat 282-passengers and the service will launch this June and continue until October 28th. The introduction of a 767-300ER to YYJ is also the first time such a large plane has operated daily out of YYJ in recent years. Once-upon-a-time Canada 3000 operated an A330, but that was once a week and a winter flight.

Victoria Intl. goes big-league with introduction of 767 wide-body service to Toronto

http://victoria.citi...ice-to-toronto/

• shoeflack likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2984 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Westjet could do well to fly a nonstop to Toronto in the winter that leaves a little later. I think they'd steal a lot of the AC flights.

#2985 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

I know when I went to Punta Cana I would of preferred a red eye out of Victoria then having to do the one out of Vancouver. Made for a very long day.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2986 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Didn't realize there'd be a Rouge 767 as well, only saw the A319 listed on Google Flights. Will be very neat to see a plane of that size returning to YYJ! 

• Mike K. likes this

#2987 YYJwatchdog

YYJwatchdog
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

Passenger traffic stats released today by VAA show a pretty big jump already for the start of 2017, by 9.7% over 2016, up from the lame 2%, 3% & 5% climbs of the past January's If this keeps up, I'm sure 2 million passengers for 2017 should be obtainable.

But why the slow progress in construction........ late Q17 for lower hold room construction start that will push it into winter months and delays.   

#2988 YYJwatchdog

YYJwatchdog
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

NewLeaf never coming back? After ditching YYJ for the summer, does anyone think their return to Vic will ever happen again?

#2989 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

Wow, 9.7% for the month, hey? That's pretty strong.

I have a feeling the construction timelines are dictated somewhat by the availability of contractors. Things are so busy right now that some projects are facing delays or significant cost overruns.

• YYJwatchdog likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2990 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

NewLeaf never coming back? After ditching YYJ for the summer, does anyone think their return to Vic will ever happen again?

WestJet is putting NewLeaf under, although NewLeaf was never going to succeed anyway.

• VicHockeyFan and YYJwatchdog like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2991 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

Welcome to the forum, watchdog!   :1954_dancing:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2992 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

WestJet is putting NewLeaf under, although NewLeaf was never going to succeed anyway.

You are likely right, both WJ and AC have plans in their drawer for when an upstart shows up.  We need this space opened to US airlines.  Prolly not happen with the Liberals in power.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2993 YYJwatchdog

YYJwatchdog
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

Thank you for the welcome,

I found this article to be a good read and it's recent

http://www.anna.aero...nt-three-years/

#2994 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Thank you for the welcome,

I found this article to be a good read and it's recent

http://www.anna.aero...nt-three-years/

Oh ya, very good.  This is from that article, 10 years and little change, except the arrival of Delta.:

TOP-Airlines.png

#2995 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

I know when I went to Punta Cana I would of preferred a red eye out of Victoria then having to do the one out of Vancouver. Made for a very long day.

Yep, its really too bad that CanJet went out of business. We did the DR/Punta Cana twice on C-J charters direct from YYJ - but neither was a red eye to boot. As you say, infinitely preferable than going via YVR.....

• sdwright.vic likes this

#2996 YYJwatchdog

YYJwatchdog
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:27 PM

Pretty bold statements being made from Kelowna, Europe is within reach already?

Wonder what the VAA thinks of the airport that is nipping at their heels......

http://news.totabc.o...owna-to-europe/

#2997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

The one thing going for Kelowna is they have a larger runway. But an era of hub airports and declining desire to run expansive direct flights to small markets makes their dream a difficult one to achieve. As does the same dream for YYJ. Unless you can fill a daily 220-passenger flight will an airline run a once-a-week? Maybe as a charter, but then that has such limited potential for your average traveller who might need to fly on one of the six other days of the week and might need to connect to another city once arriving in London/Frankfurt/Amsterdam. Taking a charter in that case makes things complicated.

Know it all.

#2998 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

YLW has been talking about a non-stop Europe flight for the past decade, if not longer. My guess is they're targeting a Condor/Thomas Cook type leisure/charter airline. There are definitely enough ski resorts within a 2-3 hour radius of YLW to warrant a once a week flight in the winter, and summer is of course a full on playground in the Okanagan. But again, they've been talking about this for as long as I can remember, and it still hasn't happened.

#2999 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

The one thing going for Kelowna is that they don't have a major international airport 30 miles away from it.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3000 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:54 AM

According to Montreal-based Hopper, a website that tracks flight searches and bookings, the number of travellers worldwide searching for deals to U.S. destinations declined in the week after the executive order on Jan. 27.

Its research shows searches for flights to the U.S. between Jan. 26 and Feb. 1 from 122 countries dropped 17 per cent from the first three weeks in January.

Flight searches from Canada were down four per cent, Hopper says.

In the U.K., searches for flights to the U.S. have “fallen off a cliff,” according to travel website Kayak.

Searches for flights to Florida’s Tampa and Orlando, for instance, were down 58 per cent, Fort Lauderdale was down 57 per cent and Miami was off 52 per cent compared with last year, Kayak says.

U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly has said that border guards could require foreign visitors to hand over their social media passwords before being allowed into the U.S. 

http://www.timescolo...-u-s-1.10648332

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users