Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#3061 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would imagine that he was arrested and charged for endangering an aircraft. 

Well it wont be the first time he was arrested ......

http://www.syracuse...._david_dao.html

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3062 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

"If a plane had crashed it probably would have been less of a disaster"

https://youtu.be/zYSn04lgbFw?t=4m5s

Is reinforced by the “just kill me” comments.

Edited by todd, 11 April 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#3063 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Well, they've smoked NewLeaf on individual routes, so I guess it makes some sense that they are now going for the jugular. WestJet sure has come a long way since their "we want to be a carbon copy of Southwest" days.

WestJet to launch 'ultra low-cost' no-frills carrier

WestJet says it will unveil a new, ultra-low-cost carrier later this year that will cater to Canadian flyers looking for cheaper fares with no frills.

The new service should take off late this year with a startup fleet of 10 high-density Boeing 737-800s, "subject to agreement with its pilots and any required regulatory approvals," the Calgary-based company said in a release Thursday.

#3064 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

WestJet says it will unveil a new, ultra-low-cost carrier later this year that will cater to Canadian flyers looking for cheaper fares with no frills...

With the possible exception of Emirates, which airline offers "frills" these days without additional charges over and above the cost of the ticket?

#3065 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

I know it's not much, but the last couple flights I have had on Encore from Terrace, the cabin crew has offered free wine or beer.  Just by the glass, and no selection (I think the beer offered is Canadian)....but a "frill" that I never see on AC.

#3066 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

I know it's not much, but the last couple flights I have had on Encore from Terrace, the cabin crew has offered free wine or beer.  Just by the glass, and no selection (I think the beer offered is Canadian)....but a "frill" that I never see on AC.

Nice. I had an Encore flight from Kelowna a few months ago that offered the same. You'll never see so many people in such disbelief as the cabin crew coming on the speaker with "we will be offering complimentary beer and wine on this flight".

#3067 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

With the possible exception of Emirates, which airline offers "frills" these days without additional charges over and above the cost of the ticket?

If they go the way of NewLeaf or other similar ultra low cost carriers elsewhere, "frills" will include such things as carry on baggage, checking in with a person, and a printed boarding pass.

#3068 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

If they go the way of NewLeaf or other similar ultra low cost carriers elsewhere, "frills" will include such things as carry on baggage, checking in with a person, and a printed boarding pass.

Ya, the article suggests that.  They also have to make a deal with pilots.  So you get the plane with the least-experienced pilots!

They really should charge by passenger weight.  Then you will have people fasting before the weigh-in, like a boxer.  Then loading up on carbs in the departure lounge.  boxing2.gif

• Nparker, Matt R. and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3069 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

At least with Westjet they won't bait and switch you like Rouge / AC. Remember that? You book mainline AC and then you get Rouged. That right there folks is why I don't fly AC.

Edited by PraiseKek, 20 April 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#3070 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

At least with Westjet they won't bait and switch you like Rouge / AC. Remember that? You book mainline AC and then you get Rouged. That right there folks is why I don't fly AC.

Do we know if this is still happening?  Or was a bit of "growing pains".  I haven't heard much on this lately.

#3071 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

It's reasonably clear if you book directly with Air Canada if it's a Rouge, Express, or "normal" flight. I had in past been unknowingly Rouged but not in over a year now. I fly roughly monthly.

#3072 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

Ya, the article suggests that.  They also have to make a deal with pilots.  So you get the plane with the least-experienced pilots!

They really should charge by passenger weight.  Then you will have people fasting before the weigh-in, like a boxer.  Then loading up on carbs in the departure lounge.  

According to the CBC article just posted, at least two airlines do! So, make sure to fast if heading to Samoa or Uzbekistan.

#3073 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

It'll be Tonga and Tajikistan for us this year, so no worries.

• Jackerbie likes this

#3074 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

Pacific Coastal adds non-stop mid-day flight between Victoria and Kelowna, & one-stop same plane service between Cranbrook and Victoria

RICHMOND, British Columbia, April 26, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Pacific Coastal Airlines is pleased to announce the addition of a new mid-day flight between Victoria and Kelowna effective Monday, June 5, 2017.
The new flight leaves Victoria International Airport (YYJ) at 11:45 A.M. arriving at Kelowna International Airport (YLW) at 12:50 P.M. PDT.The same aircraft leaves Kelowna at 1:10 P.M. arriving at the Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC) in Cranbrook at 3:05 P.M. MDT.The plane then leaves Cranbrook at 3:30 MDT arriving in Kelowna at 3:25 PM PDT, leaving Kelowna at 3:45 and arriving back in Victoria at 4:50 P.M.“This new schedule provides more options for customers traveling between Victoria and Kelowna,” says Pacific Coastal’s Director of Business Development Kevin Boothroyd, “as well as one-stop same plane service between Cranbrook and Victoria via Kelowna,” he adds.The addition of this new mid-day service means that there are now three non-stop flights between Victoria and Kelowna Monday through Friday, and two non-stop flights between the two destinations on Sundays.“These changes are part of our ongoing commitment to provide the public with quick, convenient, and affordable transportation choices. We are proud to support local communities in British Columbia,” says Boothroyd.For more information on the destinations served by Pacific Coastal Airlines, visit the website at http://www.pacificco....com/route-map/New Schedule Effective Monday, June 5

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3075 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

That's a bit surprising. I fly the YYJ-YLW route at least once or twice a month for work. Usually on Encore but sometimes on Pacific Coastal. The WestJet flights are usually pretty full, but I've often had them half empty (or half full, depending on your lean on life). And Pacific Coastal is never full on the route, even on their 19-seat Beech 1900's...I even once had a flight with them on one of their beautiful 34-seat Saab 340's (really nice plane) that had 6 people on it. I have to imagine these new flights are on their Beech 1900 planes.

That being said, as someone who regularly flies that route, it's always awesome to have more choice. Between Pacific Coastal and WestJet Encore, that'll push us to 4-5 daily non-stop flights each way between YYJ and YLW. I'll be taking advantage of this for sure.

#3076 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

I think this is great. I have been on a a couple of flights on that route with PC and they were pretty full. Nice that they have been using that modified 1900 for the flight where you can actually stand up.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3077 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hmmm I need to fly to Kelowna a few times for work this summer. I'll try them out and report back. Anything to avoid the big two really!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3078 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

P-C was a great little airline when I flew them bi-weekly to YVR and occasionally Kelowna for the 5 years I worked in the financial services industry. Loved the 1900's - we called it the "sausage". Sleek plane but not so good for anyone over about 6' 2", heh. On some flights to Vancouver staff from our firm made up as much as 80% of the passengers.

• 57WestHills likes this

#3079 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

This one came out last week. Hard to imagine these planes will service any Victoria routes, but I have to imagine many Victorians will take advantage of a connection in Vancouver, Calgary, or Toronto to travel internationally with WestJet.

Pretty exciting that we're headed again to a time in Canadian aviation with two legitimate regular international carriers.

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

WestJet announced today a definitive purchase agreement with The Boeing Company for up to 20 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. This agreement includes commitments for 10 Boeing 787-9 aircraft to be delivered between the first quarter of 2019 and December 2021, with options for an additional 10 aircraft to be delivered between 2020 and 2024.

With a range of more than 14,000 kilometres, the Dreamliner will give WestJet the ability to serve new destinations in Asia and South America, and to expand its service offerings into the European market.

WestJet_WestJet_to_purchase_Boeing_787_9_Dreamliners.jpg

Edited by shoeflack, 08 May 2017 - 09:01 AM.

• jonny likes this

#3080 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Totally awesome news for sure. I wonder if they'll introduce a true first or business class for these planes, rather than the faux business 'plus' class.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users