Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#3081 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Those 787s are really a dream. I flew in one back from London to Vancouver in AC premium economy, and it was very satisfactory.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3082 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Totally awesome news for sure. I wonder if they'll introduce a true first or business class for these planes, rather than the faux business 'plus' class.

My thought is that this, along with introducing an ULCC service offering, paves the way for Westjet to move to a "full service" airline, complete with a range of classes, not just economy, and economy plus.  I speculate you may see business class seating added to some existing and future 737s to support cross continent business travel.  And of course 3 class, or potentially 4 class, seating on the 787s.

#3083 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

My thought is that this, along with introducing an ULCC service offering, paves the way for Westjet to move to a "full service" airline, complete with a range of classes, not just economy, and economy plus.  I speculate you may see business class seating added to some existing and future 737s to support cross continent business travel.  And of course 3 class, or potentially 4 class, seating on the 787s.

Not quite. They are reconfiguring some of their existing 737's to add more seats, reduce seat pitch and the seats won't recline. The new 737's for the ULCC will come configured "high density" will have even more seats and less room, a la Ryan Air.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

...They are reconfiguring some of their existing 737's to add more seats, reduce seat pitch and the seats won't recline...

Uggh. That really puts the ass in economy class.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3085 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

Not quite. They are reconfiguring some of their existing 737's to add more seats, reduce seat pitch and the seats won't recline. The new 737's for the ULCC will come configured "high density" will have even more seats and less room, a la Ryan Air.

So I fully expect that on the ULCC planes.  You don't think they will add business class seats to mainline WJ once they are up and running with the ULCC offering?  At least to service some of the longer routes out of YYZ, YYC, and YVR.  

#3086 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

If you get a seat like that, but you're paying $200 bucks to fly YVR to YYZ, you can't complain too much. You get what you pay for. Pay the $600 for a normal Westjet flight if you want to recline.

#3087 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

This sounds a bit off.

The teen said he spent part of the night running between Air Canada service desks explaining that he was a minor and needed help. When none was offered, he did his best to stay alert and awake for fear he would be robbed if he let his guard down.

"I was very hungry, very tired, very scared," Espinola said. "I didn't know really what was going to happen to me."

Meanwhile, his mother, Karin Patock, said she spent 10 hours on the phone, trying to get through to Air Canada and make arrangements for her son.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-teen-1.4106886

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3088 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

10 hours on the phone? What?

#3089 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

This sounds a bit off.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-teen-1.4106886

What she didn't do was pay the Unaccompanied Minor charge, as was her right, but then trying to demand that service after the fact. 

• jonny likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3090 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:29 AM

Doesn't make sense. There are 6 flights a day on AC between Toornto and Thiunder Bay. The kid was delayed two whole days waiting for a flight?

• jonny likes this

#3091 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Ya, there are all kinds of holes in the story.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3092 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

Lots of stories like this are popping up as a result of runway construction at Pearson. In every single one, the issues are the same as with this teen. I don't see any bit of malice here, just usual AC incompetence in trying to run their regular schedule when they know there will be delays.

Honestly, just Google News search "air canada pearson runway" and you can read 'em all. Here's just a handful.

Windsor woman stranded at Toronto Pearson airport frustrated with Air Canada

Pearson flight delays due to construction taking toll on passengers

Passengers are fuming after delayed, cancelled flights at Pearson due to runway revamp

Flight delayed: Air Canada leaves Saskatoon man 'stuck in limbo' for 4 days

London International Airport: The ripple-effect of runway work at Pearson International Airport is delaying and cancelling flights between feeder airports

#3093 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

A few days late to the thread. The WestJet DreamLiners will have first class in the more traditional meaning than "Plus." Some WestJetters were posting as much in Airliners.net which tends to be very accurate.

#3094 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

Air Canada is dumping Aeroplan as of July 2020, starting their own program. That's interesting news.

#3095 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Air Canada is dumping Aeroplan as of July 2020, starting their own program. That's interesting news.

T:AIM - AIMIA INC the company that manages Aeroplan also got dumped today ... stock down 62.7% or $5.60 to close at $3.33!

#3096 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

Brutal. Would have been an amazing short, though. Damn.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3097 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Air Canada said Thursday it will launch its own loyalty rewards plan in 2020 and not renew its contract with the company running Aeroplan, sending Aimia's stock plummeting by more than 50 per cent and angering some points collectors.

The Montreal-based airline (TSX:AC) says customers will be able to continue collecting Aeroplan points until June 2020, after which miles earned from flying on Air Canada or its 26 Star Alliance partners will be credited to the in-house loyalty program instead. Travellers will be able to redeem those points for Air Canada and Star Alliance flights.

The airline said it intends to continue allowing Aeroplan members to redeem their Aeroplan points for seats on their flights after June 2020. However, Aimia's CEO said that isn't certain yet, as there are still a lot of discussions to be had.

http://www.ctvnews.c...ogram-1.3408580

#3098 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

What I can't figure out is how all the Star Alliance group fits into this. Why doesn't the group start it's own group rewards program, rather than each having their own? Like Flying Blue?

#3099 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

Didn't Air Canada spin off Aeroplan? Wasn't it originally just Air Canada's points plan? That's how I got started with them in the late 1990s.

• Nparker likes this

#3100 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Didn't Air Canada spin off Aeroplan? Wasn't it originally just Air Canada's points plan? That's how I got started with them in the late 1990s.

Correct.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Missed Approach