Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#3101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but how did/do you get Aeroplan Miles, other than by using the branded Visa or Mastercard?  Is there other reward partners, like there is with Air Miles?

EDIT:  Oh, I see there are 221 partners.

https://www5.aeropla..._OurPartners_EN

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3102 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

And Ebay is one of those partners. I accumulated most of the 200,00 or so I have that way. I get little amounts from buying gas from Esso and buying stuff at Home Hardware. And every once in a while I fly AC. But most came from Ebay purchases.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3103 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

You can also transfer points from other programs (i.e. American Express, hotel rewards programs, etc.) and various ratios.

Aeroplan generally has one of the better redemption values. It's pretty easy to get into "free flight" territory, especially with credit card sign up bonuses.

#3104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Serious incident at the airport involving an aircraft. Possible crash. Anyone out that way who can snap a photo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

Serious incident at the airport involving an aircraft. Possible crash. Anyone out that way who can snap a photo?

Might be false alarm.  Joint assistance training program is going on tonight 6-8pm.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

FFS. This is a training exercise. These guys are simulating a plane crash/incident using the CREST radio. Good God, there are hundreds of people listening to the scanner at any one time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

Don't worry Mike, soon it will all be digital and encrypted and we won't have misunderstandings like this anymore.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

The Air Line Pilots Association, International says more than 1,400 WestJet pilots have voted 62 per cent in favour of forming the first union at Canada's second-largest airline.

The ALPA says that once the results are certified by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, it will be the exclusive bargaining agent for WestJet pilots.

WestJet chief executive Gregg Saretsky said in a statement that the airline (TSX:WJA) is disappointed with the outcome of the vote, but will now focus on engaging in constructive dialogue with the ALPA.

The airline has long opposed unionization and has seen several union votes fail over the years, including a pilot vote in 2015.

http://www.ctvnews.c...union-1.3411389

#3109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

...and a small plane crash landed at about 1 today. Landing gear failure. All three occupants are alright.

This comes a day after a major training exercise near the airport simulating a crash, which had some people believing an actual crash had occurred.

Know it all.

#3110 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Spooky forshadowing....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3111 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

...and a small plane crash landed at about 1 today. Landing gear failure. All three occupants are alright.

This comes a day after a major training exercise near the airport simulating a crash, which had some people believing an actual crash had occurred.

I was wrong in my initial post, I saw the aircraft being towed off the runway on its gear, but it was after it did land and the right main gear collapsed. 

Edited by LJ, 13 May 2017 - 11:36 AM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

The shortest international flight in North America is about to take off in Victoria.

About 12-minutes: That’s how long it’ll take to go from Victoria International Airport to Friday Harbour on the San Juan Island when NorthStar Air Tours launches in a few weeks. 

It’s a far cry from the 2-hour ferry ride it normally takes to get to the San Juan Islands. 

“It’s the perfect thing, [passengers] just leave in the morning, come here and go back in the evening,” says NorthStar Air Founder Henry Emson. 

It’s among a growing trend to provide tourists shorter flight options between destinations, like the 15-minute flight between Toronto and the Niagara region that launched last summer.

A one-way ticket to and from Friday Harbour will cost $49 US, or about $65 CDN. 

It will also fly four times daily throughout the summer, a contrast to the one daily trip available by ferry.

It's crazy how close the San Juans are to us but we do next to no travel or trade with them, because of the border.

http://www.cheknews....minutes-323485/

#3113 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

And for a while, until 1872, no one was quite sure where the border would actually be located. It took Kaiser Wilhelm and a commission to rule in favour of the U.S. Had they ruled in Canada's favour, the San Juan Islands would all be flying a maple leaf flag.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and jonny like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3114 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

And for a while, until 1872, no one was quite sure where the border would actually be located. It took Kaiser Wilhelm and a commission to rule in favour of the U.S. Had they ruled in Canada's favour, the San Juan Islands would all be flying a maple leaf flag.

I had no idea. Interesting history. That apply to Point Roberts as well?

#3115 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

I had no idea. Interesting history. That apply to Point Roberts as well?

That was a simple surveying oversight, and the British at the time requested to keep it but the Americans wanted compensation elsewhere. The specifics of that request are unknown, but it was evidently not palatable for the British.

#3116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

That was a simple surveying oversight, and the British at the time requested to keep it but the Americans wanted compensation elsewhere. The specifics of that request are unknown, but it was evidently not palatable for the British.

That's the way I understand it.  You'd think PR might have some type of strategic or significant economic role due to its unique position, but it appears none can really be found.  I suppose Blaine, Bellingham, Anacortes and Port Angeles etc. can share in any economic advantage just as well.

#3117 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Point Roberts would be interesting if it could be declared a special zone where passports are not required to transit etc. It could become a major tourist destination if it really wanted, perhaps what the golf courses tried to do. My understanding though is the local residents like the peace and quiet.

#3118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Point Roberts would be interesting if it could be declared a special zone where passports are not required to transit etc. It could become a major tourist destination if it really wanted, perhaps what the golf courses tried to do. My understanding though is the local residents like the peace and quiet.

Washington State Special Economic Zone.  Gambling, all-inclusive resorts, legal brothels, open nudity, gun ranges.  

I'm just thinking for myself here...

#3119 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

You mean the local witness protection program members...

• VicHockeyFan, jonny and lanforod like this

#3120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

You mean the local witness protection program members...

Ya, it's America's ultimate "gated community".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)