Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#3201 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

How to make air-travel even less pleasant than it is today.

It's optional though.  I just fly with nothing, then when I get to the city of my destination, go clothes shopping at a store with a very generous return policy.  Then return all my "vacation clothess" for a refund the day I leave.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

...when I get to the city of my destination, go clothes shopping at a store with a very generous return policy.  Then return all my "vacation clothes" for a refund the day I leave.

Aside from the unbelievable inconvenience of having to shop for all of one's necessities when on vacation, I am not sure too many places allow returns on worn shoes, underwear, bathing suits, razors, combs, brushes (both hair & tooth), toothpaste, deodorant etc. Even places that are generous with their return policies often only offer store credit on returns (not so good when you live in Victoria and your vacation was in Bora Bora). I am not sure this scheme would "fly" with too many people; even the ultra cheapskates who'd choose to travel with zero luggage to save a few bucks.

#3203 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

You're welcome to fly first class, if you choose. 

I think it's great that we are getting more options. A wide selection is the consumer's friend. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

You're welcome to fly first class, if you choose...

It hardly seems like "first class" service to be able to carry on one piece of luggage and use the overhead compartment for no additional charge. I suppose an additional charge for seat belts can't be too far off. However, if ULCC's free up space on traditional airlines, more power to the folks who like to be treated like cattle.

#3205 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

I'd absolutely be happy to stand on a flight to Vancouver, if it meant $49 each way.

http://nypost.com/20...heaper-tickets/

• Matt R. and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3206 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

It hardly seems like "first class" service to be able to carry on one piece of luggage and use the overhead compartment for no additional charge. I suppose an additional charge for seat belts can't be too far off. However, if ULCC's free up space on traditional airlines, more power to the folks who like to be treated like cattle.

Again; the key factor here is choice. 

#3207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Air Canada now dings you for every extra. On my last three flights they didn’t even offer a snack and one flight was 3.5 hours. Coffee and non-alc beverages are still free, though.

I imagine within the next 2-3 years they’ll charge for a carry-on larger than a handbag.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3208 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

It only took Westjet and Air Canada, oh, I dunno, 15 years to consider ultra low-cost operations. What spurred it? A fear of Jetlines.

No fear of Jetlines that's for sure. Westjet is sitting on a billion dollars in cash and will force any minor to fold in a very short period of time.

If you are over 5'8" you won't want to travel far on these aircraft, tight seat pitch (189 seats) and no recline feature will make this for the budget minded only. Like Ryanair, except they will probably have a better pilot scheduling system.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3209 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

Oh please I'm 6'0" and a full half inch tall. I'd be glad to be loaded into a coffin space and shipped to Europe for $300 as cargo.

#3210 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

You have my blessing, just don't ask me to travel with you.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3211 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

You boys are welcome to your $49 seats, I'll take comfort over being, um, "thrifty with a dollar" :) any day, particularly on a long haul flight - anything over 2 hours for me.

On Air Transat, one of my least favorite carriers, we happily pulled out the CC and paid $250 to upgrade 3 of us then and there to Club Class on a flight some years back to Cancun, after we saw the atrocious cattle-like conditions non-Club Class passengers were going to endure as a result of a few extra rows of seats being rolled onto that charter flight. Ditto on both WestJet and CanJet flights respectively to a couple of different Caribbean destinations. Good legroom and whatever amenities are offered as a result of upgrading always trump saving a few bucks at least for me. CanJet, which was a great charter outfit based out of Atlantic Canada, offered its highest paying customers the best seats on the latest gen 737 and a champagne breakfast with eggs Florentine while everyone else had to be content with boxed apple juice and cellophane-wrapped muffins, heh...

A year ago and with quite short notice some of the immediate family booked an A-C return flight to Halifax to spend time with our sole remaining uncle who was afflicted with inoperable cancer; because it was a last minute booking we got the seats we got, and both going and coming was as uncomfortable as I've ever been on a plane; both legs were jammed to the rafters, cramped, limited seat recline ability and worst of all, they were very warm. For all those and other reasons whenever another option is available I will never sacrifice comfort on longer trips simply to save a few bucks.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 27 September 2017 - 08:59 PM.

• Nparker and Redd42 like this

#3212 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

You boys are welcome to your $49 seats, I'll take comfort over being, um, "thrifty with a dollar" :) ...

Life is far too short to be a tightwad when it comes to comfort.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#3213 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

In general I'd agree. Airlines are smartening up to that though and its not 'a few bucks' anymore usually to upgrade.

#3214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

...Airlines are smartening up to that though and its not 'a few bucks' anymore usually to upgrade.

Even with ULCCs it's more than "just few bucks extra" to get the basic services that were once included with the cost of your ticket a few years ago. Why wouldn't traditional airlines gouge travellers for what is now perceived to be "luxury"? It's the result of the race to the bottom.

#3215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:43 AM

No fear of Jetlines that's for sure. Westjet is sitting on a billion dollars in cash and will force any minor to fold in a very short period of time.

It all comes down to cost per mile. Westjet's pilots are on the verge of forming a union which will impact Swoop. And their cost to operate will be significantly higher due to a variety of factors.

There's plenty of room for ULCC's in Canada, and while Swoop will for sure inject some much needed pricing wars onto the market, it's unlikely to upstage all competition given its higher cost to operate (no doubt it can bleed competition for a while, but eventually that has to stop).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3216 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

I'd absolutely be happy to stand on a flight to Vancouver, if it meant $49 each way.

http://nypost.com/20...heaper-tickets/

I'm with you, VHF. For short flights, as far as Calgary or Edmonton, I'd take a folding chair in the cargo hold if it meant a cheaper ticket.

#3217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

For sure! We’re already packed like cattle on those little Q400’s to Calgary from Victoria, but nobody cares because the flight’s nice and short.

Know it all.

#3218 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

How about this, we have people put under with a general anaesthetic for the duration of a flight?  And just loaded in on stacked stretchers.  We can likely get 2500 onto a 747 cargo plane.

EDIT:  250,000 lbs payload max.  So 2,500 x 100-lb people only.  ~  1,600 normal sized people.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 September 2017 - 07:33 AM.

#3219 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:34 AM

^ I have a friend that takes two sleeping pills and two Imodium tablets before a long flight. 

#3220 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

That can't be much fun when your friend arrives and needs to purge. Caffeine and xlax to undo it?

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users