Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#3241 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

When U.S. carriers try to appeal to Millennial customers and compete with the dread ULCCs (ultra-low cost carriers), they roll out Basic Economy fares. In Europe, it seems that for the majors to compete with the likes of Ryanair, Norwegian Airlines and WOW, they roll out whole new airlines.

That’s been the strategy of British Airways, with their Level spinoff. Now Air France has targeted the fickle Millennial flyer as well, with Joon. The name was chosen to “illustrate a positive state of mind.” A press release proclaims, “Joon is … a fashion brand, a rooftop bar, an entertainment channel, a personal assistant … and Joon does flying too!” Moreover, Joon “will be one of Air France’s priorities in its offensive to win back market share.”

Joon, to be based at Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris, is set to begin flying this December. It will launch with short jaunts in Airbus A320s from France to Barcelona and Berlin, as well as Lisbon and Porto, Portugal. The first long-distance flights (on bigger A340s and A350s) are tentatively set for the Seychelles and the Brazilian beach city of Fortaleza. In keeping (cheaping?) with what seems to be the philosophy of airline efforts to reach the not-so-elusive Millennial traveler, one-way fares to the nearby European cities start at €39 ($46 US). The long-haul flights will start at €249 ($293).

https://www.forbes.c...n/#768770396265

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

A chopper has crashed near Campbell River’s airport. No further info.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3243 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

"This is an unprecedented response to an unprecedented situation," British Transport Minister Chris Grayling said Monday, describing the measures following the sudden bankruptcy of Monarch Airlines as "the country's biggest ever peacetime repatriation."

All Monarch flights to and from the U.K. have been canceled. That leaves roughly 110,000 Monarch customers -- whom the airline was meant to fly back to the U.K. in the next two weeks -- stuck overseas, according to the country's Civil Aviation Authority.

http://money.cnn.com...tion/index.html

#3244 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Globe and Mail article "Airport bars you want to get stuck in" included Spinnakers on the Fly.

https://beta.theglob...rticle36453086/
  • 57WestHills likes this

#3245 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

Bombardier to partner with Airbus on CSeries program
CSeries headquarters will remain in Montreal area, 2nd assembly line will be set up at Airbus plant in Alabama

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...eries-1.4357567

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3246 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Great job Canadian government. Now Airbus has our government subsidy money! 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Great job Canadian government. Now Airbus has our government subsidy money! 

And it's funding manufacturing jobs in Alabama! 

I like how Bombardier "sold" 50.01% of the C-Series program.  For nothing.  And AirBus takes on no debt.  Seems like Bombardier gave away 50.01%.  US trade regulators might see through this plan.  It's almost astounding talks have only been in the works since August on this plan.  Or US trade negotiators might have got what they wanted, US manufacturing - and green-light it. 

Boeing might be feeling ill today.  I laughed at their new TV commercials I saw during the hockey game the other day:  "Dear Canada, we love you - Boeing" basically. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 October 2017 - 10:01 AM.

• jonny likes this

#3248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Lol.

Hey, whatever it takes not to "bomb" Bombardier's latest project, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3249 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Oh lawd, I forgot about the Boeing commercial. I saw that too and was instantly nauseous. 

This is such an end around US protectionism and a huge FU to Boeing. It would be hilarious to watch if our courageous government hadn't just bailed poor little Bombardier out. 

#3250 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

And forced Air Canada to buy a bunch of their jets.

Know it all.

#3251 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Oh lawd, I forgot about the Boeing commercial. I saw that too and was instantly nauseous. 

Video link:

http://www.boeing.co...nada/index.page

#3252 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Can the Canadian gov't block this sale?

#3253 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

Why would they? They are probably glad this reduces the odds they will feel compelled to bail out the C-Series program again

#3254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Hey, that video is alright! I had no idea they were that involved in Canada.

Know it all.

#3255 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Hey, that video is alright! I had no idea they were that involved in Canada.

Oh boy...

#3256 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

What's wrong with it? Boeing loves Canada. We mean everything to them, clearly.

• VicHockeyFan and todd like this

Know it all.

#3257 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Apparently a breach of security this morning at yyj.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3258 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

zo9PAOOvc8ynh42r.jpg

https://www.sbnation...ssell-westbrook

OKL Thunder team plane his something mid-air.

#3259 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Apparently a breach of security this morning at yyj.

Delta flight to Seattle this morning was cancelled, and Delta returned luggage to passengers in the holdroom instead of baggage claim.

Every single person in the holdroom had to be re-screened.

#3260 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

Finnair has just begun a new program where it weighs passengers before take-off to help the Finnish airline collect more accurate data about weights on its flights.

The airline launched the program, which will run intermittently into 2018, to get a more accurate picture of the average weights of the men, women and children that fly with the airline. Their carry-on baggage is also being taken into consideration and passengers must carry it onto the scale with them.

http://money.cnn.com...gers/index.html

Right on!

If a passenger takes up two seats they should pay for two.

I sure wouldn't want to fly on the same plane as the sumo wrestling team. 

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users