#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

Speed bumps increase greenhouse gases: study
Kathryn Young, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Monday, October 29, 2007
Speed bumps -- a stopgap solution for bad street planning -- not only fuel drivers' tempers and create noise pollution, they add greenhouse gases to the air we breathe, says a new federal housing agency report.

When vehicles slow down to approach a speed bump, then speed up, then slow down for another one, they use more gasoline, emitting more carbon and other noxious gases than they would if travelling at a constant speed, said Fanis Grammenos, senior researcher for the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

*snip*

Traffic calming measures have been introduced in many Canadian cities to deal with problematic street patterns, particularly the grid system, but they also create other issues.

Speed bumps, speed humps (which are wider bumps), raised intersections, traffic circles, stop signs and other traffic calming measures "increase automobile emissions and noise, reduce air quality and often lead to driver frustration," the report said.

As well, nearby pedestrians and cyclists breathe in more pollutants, especially when their breathing rate is elevated. Accelerating from zero to 40 kilometres per hour in four seconds uses 50 per cent more gasoline than in eight seconds, Mr. Grammenos said.

Because grid patterns were introduced in city centres before cars were a major influence, those neighbourhoods are highly walkable, but they're noisier, have higher accident rates and promote traffic gridlock, which also intensifies greenhouse-gas emissions and air pollutants.

"Rather than a Band-Aid solution after the fact, do the right street pattern from the beginning, where streets actually force drivers to slow down because there's no straight-through avenue," Mr. Grammenos said.

http://www.canada.co... ... 38&k=47602

#2 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

More information on the unintended consequences of speed bumps, and traffic calming in general, right here;

http://www.secondscount.org/

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Not sure why there was a different story in the TC but definitely better version as it focuses more on the street grid then on speed bumps. I mean so few places actually use speed bumps that that version of the story is kind of dumb.

The Better version
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=a9b05106-2087-4e91-90f8-462ab54784b8&p=2

Couldn't find a site plan or pics of any of the places to see how they actually look but let's just say I am not holding my breath. I will take short block grid pattern anyday.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:59 PM

There is some guy some where in Canada (sorry, short on specifics, but saw it on Venture) that plans to harness the power of cars driving over speed bumps, or thru drive-thrus, essentially stealing energy from them to give the owner of the road/driveway energy they can sell back to utilities. So everyone that drives thru uses more fuel, and unbeknownst to them adds a few more bucks to McDonalds bottom line.

Sounds brilliant to me, but sketchy: second guy here:

http://www.cbc.ca/ve...how-112206.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

Oh yeah, I think mall parking lots as well. They do it in Britain already.

Still if your driving I don't think environmentally you can complain about speed bumps or traffic calming anymore then you can complain about traffic lights and speed limits.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:04 AM

Victoria at risk of missing green targets, report says

http://www.timescolo...-says-1.2324250

Victoria needs some Volkswagen engineers.

Also you can trick a speed bump by treating it like going over a big wave with a small high speed boat(lot more gas + noise). Please try to use roundabouts for traffic calming.

Edited by todd, 17 August 2016 - 07:04 AM.

• Marilyn likes this

#7 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

If the speed limit is 50 Kilometers am I required to slow down for a speed bump?

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

If the speed limit is 50 Kilometers am I required to slow down for a speed bump?

I think almost anywhere that speed-bumps are present, has a lower posted speed.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

Why would Lisa Helps be "shocked" by our greenhouse gas emissions?  We don't really do much different here than anywhere else.

The CRD "where do you go everyday and how to you get there" survey thing has not budged in over a decade, as to walking, driving, riding a bike etc.

Sep 14, 2012

Victoria, BC - The new CRD Origin Destination Household Travel Survey Report will be featured at a Regional Transportation Plan workshop with stakeholders, municipal and provincial governments on September 19, 2012, and presented to the Planning, Transportation and Protective Services Committee meeting that afternoon.

Key findings show that trip length has increased steadily over the last ten years and the percentage of people using transit, cycling and walking has hardly changed, which means that there is an increased number of cars on roads.

- See more at: https://www.crd.bc.c...h.I44m0AHa.dpuf

#10 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

I think almost anywhere that speed-bumps are present, has a lower posted speed.

Definitely a couple streets in Victoria with no posted speed limit and speed bumps.

..Maybe they could have tried lowering the speed limit first....

Edited by todd, 17 August 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#11 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Why would Lisa Helps be "shocked" by our greenhouse gas emissions?  We don't really do much different here than anywhere else.

The CRD "where do you go everyday and how to you get there" survey thing has not budged in over a decade, as to walking, driving, riding a bike etc.

- See more at: https://www.crd.bc.c...h.I44m0AHa.dpuf

Build(rebuild) me a rail network and I will sell my car.

• Nparker likes this

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

Maybe they could have tried lowering the speed limit first....

Between the lower limits and engineered congestion around the city, I'm getting dismal fuel economy now. I'm talking 14+ l/100km.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

“This trend is not in effect for all cities; Vancouver is leading with reduced GHG emissions of 15 per cent since 2007.”

“With leadership in the cities, like we see from Vancouver, then nationally we have a chance.”

Nobody finds it funny that re: this subject (and this subject only) Victoria needs to be much more like Vancouver if it wants to improve itself?

Okay, so Victoria should remove height restrictions and create incentives to encourage a doubling of the core's population ASAP? This is what we're saying?

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

...Okay, so Victoria should remove height restrictions and create incentives to encourage a doubling of the core's population ASAP?...

That's my interpretation. ;)

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

Why doesn't the City's chart include emissions from cruise ships and float planes? I can't believe it's less than one percent. If not, the whole chart is meaningless.

14051752_10154419841830148_3411905697314

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 August 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#16 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

Why doesn't the City's chart include emissions from cruise ships and float planes? I can't believe it's less than one percent. If not, the whole chart is meaningless.

Don't forget those huge tour buses. Hop on Hop Off idles at every stop. But tourism is a god in Victoria. I would like to know how many tourist dollars actually stay in the city and how much of it is profit for business outside the city.

#17 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Don't forget those huge tour buses. Hop on Hop Off idles at every stop. But tourism is a god in Victoria. I would like to know how many tourist dollars actually stay in the city and how much of it is profit for business outside the city.

Regardless of where the profits end up, Tourism is a huge employer in Greater Victoria. That being said, I'd be very supportive of cleaner tourist transportation around town.

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

I assume tour buses are accounted for under commercial vehicles. I'm interested in polluters missing from the chart, which you astutely noticed. The whole process is flawed if we are being diplomatic and omitting certain money-making polluters.

#19 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

I wonder if the report is based on the population of Victoria (70,000) and only their actual ghg usage or does it include all traffic and usage of the CRD (300,000+)?

If so how do they remove the non Victoria resident data?

This report should be regional anyway

#20 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

14051752_10154419841830148_3411905697314

Because this data is from the provincial work called CEEI, not done by the city. It only includes some things.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users