Photo

David Foster Harbour Pathway | 2007 - ongoing

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#301 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

The topic came up when the recent "next generation" Muppet movie was in theatres. People didn't understand what it was. No joke, I was showing them Sesame Street, the Muppet Show, Ed Sullivan, you name it. Nothing.

In their defense, the original Muppets seem to have had little or no presence in some countries. But I find it really funny when people say things like, "I was raised in Etobicoke."

• Nparker likes this

#302 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Along the lines of the musical stairwells, all along the walkway we could have big red buttons.  Press the button, and it plays a David Foster-produced song for 30 seconds.

It's a long list, so we could have over 100 buttons.

Thanks for the "long list" of amazing artists that Foster worked with.

#303 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

I've met David Foster so I will recuse myself from this naming thing. I still think we should be selling the naming rights though. :1954_dancing:

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#304 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

^ The Telus Harbour Walkway.  Telus throws us $5M plus free wifi on the path.

• LJ likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#305 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

^yes.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#306 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

Ughh. Telus. I'd never set foot on the waterfront again.

#307 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

There are certain things that define a city...that should not be the subject of selling naming rights. The Harbour Pathway is too important to commodify. I know David Foster and have great respect for his achievements...but naming the entire waterfront walkway after him is a serious stretch. It's not like he ponied up $10 million to build the whole thing. In any case, places where entertainment takes place, fair game for naming rights. But where the citizens recreate; parks and walkways should be known by their local names. 

• nagel and nerka like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#308 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

I will post here a couple of photos of the forms etc. currently being built for the stairway between the Johnson St Bridge, and the Janion building, which lead down to the David Foster walkway which may eventually materialize underneath the new bridge and connect to the front of the Janion. 

The Janion is on the left, and way in the background is the moon, below which is Swan's.

P1030123_LR.jpg

P1030124_LR.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#309 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Regardless of naming rights, no one will ever call it the David Foster Way, Telus Way etc outside of city press releases. It will simply be known as the harbour walkway.

• Baro and Nparker like this

#310 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

Are you saying my concept of renaming a place Finest At Sea Fisherman's Wharf presented by Molson Canadian is dead?
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

If the Traveller's Inn offer falls through, I think you're good to go.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#312 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:54 AM

Victoria-raised music producer David Foster headlined a weekend fundraiser at the Mar-a-Lago attended by U.S. President Donald Trump and former prime minister Brian Mulroney.

Foster sang and played grand piano for the Saturday night fundraiser for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at the Mar-a-Lago in Florida, which Trump has called the “winter White House.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.1wqsEWnK.dpuf

#313 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

If you remember, Foster was asked to be involved with the Trump inauguration. He turned it down, but not on philosophical or political principles. He just wasn't available. So Foster has no problem with Trump it seems.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#314 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

If you remember, Foster was asked to be involved with the Trump inauguration. He turned it down, but not on philosophical or political principles. He just wasn't available. So Foster has no problem with Trump it seems.

Not available for a US presidential inauguration?

#315 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

Interesting question raised on Facebook: why has the commercial space on the walkway beneath the Coast Victoria Hotel been unsuccessful and what can we conclude from that about the viability of commercial spaces by the International Marina in Vic West?

#316 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Interesting question raised on Facebook: why has the commercial space on the walkway beneath the Coast Victoria Hotel been unsuccessful and what can we conclude from that about the viability of commercial spaces by the International Marina in Vic West?

I am not sure the two locations are all that comparable. The space below the Coast Hotel has relatively little walk-by traffic. There is a much greater pedestrian presence along the WestSong walkway. My feeling is a full-service restaurant, if it serves decent food at reasonable prices, could become a destination establishment at the marina. Time will tell of course if I am proved right or wrong.

• tedward likes this

#317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

The commercial space at the Coast Hotel has a whale watching company based out of it. I guess compared to Vic West, the foot traffic along that part of the harbour walkway is much smaller.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#318 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Maybe it's just me but I find most hotel retail spaces to be visually unappealing, removed from the street/passerby viewpoint and typically attract less interesting tenants.

#319 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

I've always wondered why the huge space on the water side of the Delta is never used for events, let alone some type of even temporary summer food stand.

It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a more appealing Janion->bridge->park->Delta connection (and Northern Junk)

• Nparker, tedward and RoadRunner like this

#320 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

I've always wondered why the huge space on the water side of the Delta is never used for events, let alone some type of even temporary summer food stand.

It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a more appealing Janion->bridge->park->Delta connection (and Northern Junk)

Especially now that you do not need to fence in your drinkers at special events, you think a cool wine festival or something could happen.

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users