• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 581 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Geez, I regret starting this thread.....6 years ago!

Post #13 makes up for any disharmony perceived.

jbw

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

Pioneer Park is a beautiful, intimate setting if you want to observe near Downtown but wish to avoid the crush around the Legislature.

Now, I'm not sure I like this white poppy movement.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 581 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

(I agree about Pioneer Park, but I live moments walk from the Legislature making it more convenient and rather like the wider variety of bands involved.)

No need to be hasty, I urge that you give this peace movement a decade here to settle in and become established. (I predict it will become a growing interest.)

jbw

'Women In Black' were outside Victoria City Hall today, 12-1pm

handing out these (poppies were cut from white leatherette, and decorated with lavender ink, the gold attachment pin is vastly more secure than the straight pin, I lose many red poppies):

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Pioneer Park is a beautiful, intimate setting if you want to observe near Downtown but wish to avoid the crush around the Legislature.

I don't like it.

Use a white carnation.

#25 LJ

LJ
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

What is the white poppy movement?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

^Some people think the traditional poppy is not "pacifist" enough so they came up with the white poppy which is supposed to be a more peaceful symbol. Personally, I think it's a little "holier than thou". Talk to an actual combat veteran one time. You'll never meet anyone more peace loving.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 581 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Talk to an actual combat veteran one time. You'll never meet anyone more peace loving.

A few personal comments (not a soldier myself, but my family's third generation Army with several veterans, so I've a fair sense of what it's about; I also lost an uncle in World War II who I never even met).

Much of Women In Black's point is that when the red poppy bit started and continued during Remembrance Day ceremonies, it was in the context of World War I and World War II (& the Korean War). Casualties of the wars back then being referred to during the ceremonies were about lots (tens to hundreds of thousands) of mostly soldiers.

Nowadays, war's fast becoming more and more fully automated. Drones, etc. handled by desk jockeys a few hundred miles away bombing the hell out of 'targets of opportunity'. That's not to say soldiers aren't dying, just that the preponderance of deaths in wars or 'police actions' (that are thinly veiled wars) are starting to consist largely of collateral damage to civilians (and civilian 'contractors') imo.

I think we're at risk of losing our way as Remembrance Day appears to me to have become less about Peace, then it is about honouring through glorifying our soldiers' sacrifices (and glorification tends to flame the fires of war). Display of the white poppy is intended as a plea for Peace along with recognition of the growing civilian war casualties involved, alongside the act of remembering our wars' dead soldiers.

jbw

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Remembrance at the Cenotaph begins at 10:00 am - Carillon Concert 11:45 - 12:30

#29 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

A freind of mine who lives in Holland went for a walk in her smalll town yesterday to a small cemetary where 7 Canadian Soldiers are buried.

These are the pictures she took.
They are in a town called Deiver,Netherlands
Lets remember these guys.

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:58 AM

Oak Bay Cenotaph - Uplands Park

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Parade to the Cenotaph 2013

• sebberry likes this

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,495 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thank you for the photos, Bingo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

ZWMayoA8KNI

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

Ottawa police charged Franck Gervais Saturday for impersonating a decorated soldier during a Remembrance Day ceremony at the National War Memorial in Ottawa.

Gervais, 32, is not a member of the Canadian Forces and faces two charges of personating a public officer,

one charge of unlawful use of military uniforms and one charge of unlawful use of military decoration.

After seeing Gervais speaking as a "sergeant" on television, a number of veterans and soldiers called CBC News to question his status as a soldier.

It is an offence for someone who is not serving in the military to wear a current military uniform.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2836655?cmp=rss

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,467 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Makes you wonder what's going through his head.  Dress up as a member of the Armed Forces and give an interview to the news, all while having nothing to do with the military.  Bizarre.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#36 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

Makes you wonder what's going through his head. Dress up as a member of the Armed Forces and give an interview to the news, all while having nothing to do with the military. Bizarre.

Early last year, Prime Minister Harper dressed up like an RCAF pilot, complete with wings.

Quote:
For that matter, the PM not only offered insult to the million veterans and serving members, he also broke the law, namely theCriminal Code of Canada section 419 -- the same law that prevents survivors and children from wearing fallen veterans' medals to Remembrance Ceremonies (another hotly debated topic in the veterans communities)
End quote

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/3510607

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

Makes you wonder what's going through his head.  Dress up as a member of the Armed Forces and give an interview to the news, all while having nothing to do with the military.  Bizarre.

I think it's an easy choice for someone suffering from extreme low self-esteem or other mental issue. A few purchases on eBay and you go from loser to respected hero overnight. We all remember dressing up as kids and experiencing that feeling of transformation. Look at the costumed kids on Halloween and how amped up those kids are. I know some little kids that insist on wearing princess tutus, Spider-Man or Batman costumes or Fireman jackets all year round--parents can't get them to take them off. I think some emotionally disturbed adults find something empowering about dressing up. It's that same childhood impulse.

For others like Harper, I think exceptions are made if you are invited to wear the uniform by the armed forces. It's not worn as an attempt to deceive and the jacket is generic, not a specific rank. Although I wish Harper would ease up on the military flag waving sometimes.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 November 2014 - 01:31 AM.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:35 AM

I'm a little late, but here's a photo I took several years ago of the military cemetery near Ypres, Belgium. The amount of Canadians whose names are engraved in the marble walls and tombstones is staggering. It would take you all day to look at them all.

75631_452307420739_3401046_n.jpg?oh=ad14

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#39 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,298 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

Isn't Harper also considered the Commander in Chief anyways?

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,012 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

Isn't Harper also considered the Commander in Chief anyways?

I think you meant Commander -in-Cheat.

• Benezet likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users