Jordan River

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#141 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

The reason is that the dam is in very poor condition. Ive been on and in it as recently as last year it is crumbling and leaking and it is made over 100 years ago other than the additions that were added late in the 20th century there is no ulterior motive the cost to taxpayers would be immense if they didnt off a buy out an dthen houses were wiped out and people killed the backlash would be far greater from those calling foul saying BC Hydro was negligent

Exactly.... It's about $$$

#142 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

No its not about money its about  unnecessarily putting lives at risk.The CRD must be managed by clowns because they fought long and hard to keep that Campground open for overnight camping and if the dam break every person and any camper will be long gone.

The Jordan River Valley is a narrow gorge for much of its course from Diversion Reservoir and Elliot Reservoir both which have dams.

If the Dam were to collapse and that lake drained down that Valley to the Ocean there would be nothing left standing. here is a video of the gate open at the bottom of the dam. If the diversion dam broke the flow of everything down stream would probably break the Elliot reservoir dam too releasing the lake behind it too

The gate that is open is about 6' diametre at the very base of the dam

http://youtu.be/b342HGtI9F8

Edited by HB, 16 May 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#143 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

Who's going to keep me safe from all the other things that might kill me at any time? What BS... It's about liability not compassion.

Edited by dasmo, 16 May 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#144 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

No Its about keeping people safe where injury and death are a possibilty

Ok you've blamed it on 2 completely different things now in the course of 2 hours

1st you say its money then compassion whats next ?

They are buying those homes at way more than market value.

#145 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

I said liability which is $$$ I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm just skeptical of the motivation for these purchases. Like I said consistently, it's about money NOT concern for safety...

#146 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

So perhaps it's just that they don't want to spend the $$$ to upgrade the dam....

#147 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

That would be more in line with their (non)plan just to let it be and if it fails in a quake...Oh Well, good thing we bought those people out and we'll will now replace that hydro electric power with power from northern BC and the US. Once site C is complete the plan is probably to mothball Jordan River Powerhouse because of the uncertain future of the dam

• dasmo likes this

#148 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

Yes! That's it. Thank you, skeptic itch is scratched ;-)

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:53 PM

http://vancouverisla...6aee6fff9fb15d9

BC Hydro is preparing to move bulldozers into Jordan River before it wipes the Vancouver Island town off the map.

At one point around 1,000 people called Jordan River home, but now it's a virtual ghost town.

After a six-year study found its dam risked catastrophic failure in the event of a massive earthquake, BC Hydro bought up all houses and buildings but one, slowly dismantling the tiny town.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#150 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

I hope they keep the campsite open. Like that place.

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Seems they are, for now.

http://www.tourismvi...mpground/64806/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#152 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

Seems they are, for now.

http://www.tourismvi...mpground/64806/

CRD runs the best campsites.   I don't really like camping in the dark forest in Victoria where it's usually cool.   Both island view and jordan river are nice and bright.   Usually go out to Island view a couple times before and after it closes for the season.  Perfect and quiet.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#153 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

That story is a little deceiving there are a bunch of homes just above the beach road they will not be going away as they are not on the flood plain.the last of teh homeowners who were bought out last year are now stripping their homes in preparation of the move

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

Huh, one guy is holding out against the BC Hydro buy-out offer.  A part-time resident is staying.

#155 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

Good he has an awesome house.

Let him be.

#156 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

What if he sleeps in a coffin-like steel pod, with an oxygen supply etc.?  So even if the wave hits, he's safe?

#157 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

The dam will eventually be dismantled or the gate left open over time draining the reservoir probably once Site c is complete. the dam is in such poor shape it is way beyond repair.

There is no need worrying about it. You could step out onto Yates st this afternoon and become road pizza under a truck you and others know its possible but didn't think about it just like that guy doesn't care about the dam

His home is awesome and his view is awesome.Now he wont have any neighbors in that part of Jordan river but the dozen or so homes above him will still have residents

#158 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Does anyone really give a dam?

#159 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

Good he has an awesome house.

Let him be.

According to today's TC, that's not his house.  That one is being demolished.

EDIT:  No, that homeowner plans to move it "up the hill" then sell it.

#160 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

well there are only 2 houses left down there. the other one the owner is removing all the siding and other valuable from it.

post the link to the story Im curious now cant think of which home unless there is a third one still there

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users