Photo

The Bard & Banker | Victoria | Government St. @ Fort St.

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#141 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

"Tard and Wanker".

Very funny. :D

#142 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm a regular on the Victoria Highlanders FC message board and I've noticed in the last week that the "beer, burger and shuttle" arrangement with B&B seems to have vanished.

The supporters now have their pre-match drinks at Garrick's Head and Canoe before taking the chartered bus out to the stadium in Langford. Don't know what went wrong, B&B is a major sponsor of the Highlanders.

#143 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

I went to the Bard when visiting Victoria.. also went to the Irish Times, and the Times wins hands down. The Bard was over-priced, which I can live with if it was great... but the service? Beyond lousy. Indifferent service, overpriced and not memorable. The Times? Beyond fantastic. I'll go back there in a heartbeat!

I was there about a month ago and we ordered some tortilla chips with salsa. The salsa was so terrible that we actually returned the dish -- something I and my circle would rarely do. Instead of the waitress taking the opportunity to provide feedback to the kitchen and perhaps management, she frowned and said she thought the salsa was incredible as though to suggest that we were being picky.

#144 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

Don't know what went wrong, B&B is a major sponsor of the Highlanders.

Actually they are no longer "major" sponsors and they clearly indicated they did not want our business. They are happy to have us before games but after games we are not upscale enough and/or too noisy.

#145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

Actually they are no longer "major" sponsors and they clearly indicated they did not want our business. They are happy to have us before games but after games we are not upscale enough and/or too noisy.

Ya, I could see that...

#146 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

Ya, I could see that...

LOL, What, you don't like a bagpipe playing inside yer pub. :P

#147 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

They are happy to have us before games but after games we are not upscale enough and/or too noisy.

Yeah, it's tough having a bunch of thirsty drinkers dropped at the door of your licenced establishment. Ought not to be allowed.

Typical Victoria "faux twee Britpub for the tourists" prohibiting anything resembling actual atmosphere.

#148 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:05 AM

We had a pint and some wings here in September. Good enough grub, the sauce was "house" and creatively tasty; and the wings were grilled instead of fried. Good service. Nice pint. "Service Ale" of course - we just had to!

It's a bit "twee" as previously noted. The city is named Victoria after all... I did enjoy the gleaming brass and the atmosphere was busy but calm. It is also clean. It reminded me of the Marble Pub in the Sydney Hilton, AU which is much older but the Aussies have  nice way of refurbishing most of their old stuff. They are proud of its quality. The B & B is a neat enough place, and like him or hate him, Robert Service's poetry is accessible to everyone.

I'd like to propose that anyone who can recite one of his poems from memory gets a drink on the house!

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

Every day this month the Bard & Banker is giving away a lunch for EIGHT, with drinks...

Enter on their FB page > >  Bard & Banker (first post) or go direct HERE > >https://www.facebook...4496192/?type=1

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#150 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

It reminded me of the Marble Pub in the Sydney Hilton, AU which is much older...

Just a clarification here that the Bard and Banker pub is obviously only a few years old but the Bank of BC building is actually several years older than the original Marble Bar (note that the original Marble Bar was dismantled in the 1970s and relocated/reassembled within a modern hotel building).

Edited by aastra, 18 October 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#151 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

I was aware the Marble Bar was renovated completely, but not that it had been relocated to it's present locale. (perhaps memory is generally a problem after hanging there awhile.. :cheers: ) Irrespective, a nice job was done, also I like the QVB across the street. Thanks for the gen.

#152 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

Bid to unionize fails at Victoria's Bard and Banker Pub

http://www.timescolo...r-pub-1.1491845

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#153 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

With some of the real news happening around town the last couple of days, I'm surprised such a big deal was made of the vote against unionisation. Nothing to see here, move along...

#154 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

FOH would never have agreed to join up, too big of a pay cut.

Matt.

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

Bard & Banker and Irish Times are both before City Council today asking for 9am opening and liquor service, rather than 11am, 7 days per week.

#156 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

You can buy the building:

http://www.colliersc...13#.Vifjm1UViko

#157 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

Bard & Banker and Irish Times are both before City Council today asking for 9am opening and liquor service, rather than 11am, 7 days per week.

Don't know whatever happened.  Hours listed have not seemed to change.

EDIT:  change was allowed at both.

https://victoria.civ...arch=1&Result=4

Maybe they are waiting until special events or next year to actually open early.

#158 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:28 PM

^ It seems to me the building is not for sale, just 6800 square feet of office, perhaps on the top floor.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#159 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

^ It seems to me the building is not for sale, just 6800 square feet of office, perhaps on the top floor.

Oh ya, odd.

#160 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

I think it's the whole building for sale, but the pub would just be a tenant. I doubt the business itself is for sale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users