UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tideline Lane at Royal Bay
Use: subdivision
Address: 360-374 Tideline Lane
Municipality: Colwood
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Tideline Line at Royal Bay is a collection of eight single-family-homes at the oceanside Royal Bay community i... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tideline Lane at Royal Bay on Citified.ca      Official website: https://royalbayhomesbysouthislandhometeam.com
Photo

[Colwood] Royal Bay & Beachlands | Subdivision

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#201 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Market forces would appear to suggest otherwise.

I would disagree because this is a zoning issue.  We ran out of available industrial land in the CRD in 1996 and municipalities have added more or less no new industrial zoning since then.   

#202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

So where/who are the industries clamouring for zoning changes?

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

The market doesn't want industrial operations anywhere near residential areas. It's far better to have 7,000 people living in a place like Royal Bay than a truck compound and a fish plant.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

James Bay is a much better locale for industrial development anyway. 

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:09 AM

July 29

Royal-Bay-phase-1-July-29-2016a.jpg

Royal-Bay-phase-1-July-29-2016c.jpg

Royal-Bay-phase-1-July-29-2016b.jpg

Royal-Bay-phase-1-July-29-2016d.jpg

• 2F2R likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#206 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

Those are nice looking houses. Love the porch look, especially.

#207 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

They do look nice. If those stone walkways actually lead to nice public spaces this could be a great suburb and a good model for high density family friendly development. The school is certainly very nice....

#208 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

It could be a great 'hood, and I hope it turns out that way.

Although, the current middle of the Sahara Desert look makes me laugh every time I see it!

• Nparker likes this

#209 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

I dunno. Somehow living right in the middle of a gravel pit is scary to me. But if you are up high enough, those are the killer views back towards Victoria with Mt.Baker in the background!

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

The Empress was built on swampland. I think a gravel pit is pretty good, all things considered :)

Know it all.

#211 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

They probably mean aesthetically. It's a lot bigger than Dockside Green and those early buyers are still living in a constructive zone over a decade later. The reality beyond the hype is that one might be living in a gravel pit for most their lives buying here. Even though it looks like the community is going to be nice looking and well designed, it will be the next generation enjoying it.
  • Nparker likes this

#212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

Westhills, Bear Mountain, Thetis Vale, Kettle Creek, Sunriver Estates, and a flurry of others have done pretty good with the building out of their communities.

Why so glum over Royal Bay?

Buyers know what they're getting into, there's no illusions. This is how cities the world over are built, and we can't all live in established neighbourhoods.

Know it all.

#213 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

I dunno. Somehow living right in the middle of a gravel pit is scary to me. But if you are up high enough, those are the killer views back towards Victoria with Mt.Baker in the background!

It's super "clean-slate", and you'd think then they could do some marvellous landscaping etc.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

...you'd think then they could do some marvellous landscaping etc.

It worked for Butchart Gardens.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#215 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

Glum? I was totally positive. Just pointing out what was meant by living in a gravel pit. Here is some negative for you. Wasn't Bear Mountain also hyped as a seven year build out like Dockside Green? Also hyped as the Whistler of golf. Still a construction zone over a decade later. At least Royal Bay started as a gravel pit. Bear mountain started as a wonderful wooded hill top and was turned into a gravel yard....

#216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

Bear Mountain was never hyped as a seven year build-out, I don't think, and everyone knew much of the development could not proceed without the new road from Leigh Road interchange. That was the big kink. As was the market crash which also affected Dockside.

Anyways, I think you'll find BM's neighbourhoods have come together rather well. It's still a big work in progress, but it's not exactly a gravel yard as you call it and many areas are now fully built-out.

Royal Bay is our one and only development on flat land, much like how we see them everywhere else in the country. And if you buy in and find yourself staring onto a field for a while it's still a heck of a lot better to be doing it here with the mountains and ocean as your backdrop than endless horizon.

This is the first phase at Royal Bay, the first 28 homes out of 2,300. We need to relax a little even if it's not Shangri-la in a year.

Know it all.

#217 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

I'm relaxed and am liking it so far. It is what it is.
I know for a fact both the railyards and the DG were touted as seven year build outs. BM not for certain but I was at an early presentation and remember something like that. It certainly wasn't 30 years which is what it will be if we are lucky.

Edited by dasmo, 31 July 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#218 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

It's not the location of living in a gravel pit that worries me. My fear of the gravel pit is perhaps an irrational dread of liquefaction in the event of a major earthquake.

• Dr. Barillas likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#219 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

I'm relaxed and am liking it so far. It is what it is.
I know for a fact both the railyards and the DG were touted as seven year build outs. BM not for certain but I was at an early presentation and remember something like that. It certainly wasn't 30 years which is what it will be if we are lucky.

BM was never going to be a 7 year build out, there are not enough construction crews or equipment on the south island to make that happen. Try getting a contractor to do some work on your house today and you will be lucky if you get a call back. Everybody is looking for help. 

You only build out as the market allows, when the recession hits you hit pause, nobody can afford to have stock built sitting around unsold.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#220 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

BM was never going to be a 7 year build out, there are not enough construction crews or equipment on the south island to make that happen. Try getting a contractor to do some work on your house today and you will be lucky if you get a call back. Everybody is looking for help.
You only build out as the market allows, when the recession hits you hit pause, nobody can afford to have stock built sitting around unsold.

Exactly. But the truth doesn't market well...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users