UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tideline Lane at Royal Bay
Use: subdivision
Address: 360-374 Tideline Lane
Municipality: Colwood
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Tideline Line at Royal Bay is a collection of eight single-family-homes at the oceanside Royal Bay community i... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tideline Lane at Royal Bay on Citified.ca      Official website: https://royalbayhomesbysouthislandhometeam.com
Photo

[Colwood] Royal Bay & Beachlands | Subdivision

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#101 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Is this just going to be another maze of dead-end roads packed in with houses of questionable architectural merit or something not straight out of a 1960's urban planning guidebook?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Note: this post was moved from the Bear Mountain discussion thread.

^ Most of Royal Bay is really flat. Royal Bay is also a pretty big space (approximately the size of James Bay).

If the plan is primarily SFDs, which the market out in the western communities seems to dictate, then most of them won't have views as the land is flat.

Photo by ressen

The land west of Metchosin Road gently slopes east and there is a substantial drop-off east of Metchosin Road. I think that's where the primary commercial hub will be built along with high density residential. I would imagine the soil will be formed to give opportunities for rises with unimpeded views, but we'll have to wait and see what they're going to settle on.

I can't remember what the plan is along Metchosin Road but I would imagine it's commercial/higher density residential.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

The land west of Metchosin Road gently slopes and there is a substantial drop-off east of Metchosin Road. I think that's where the primary commercial hub will be built along with high density residential.

That's a tiny chunk of the old gravel pit and maybe only 10% of the total area. The rest on the other side of the road is very flat.

Marko, I have seen some fantastic views at houses at BM. I'm not saying that's why everyone buys there, but like I said earlier there are some great views.

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

Here's the other side. It does appear that they are shaping the land for maximum opportunities for views from homes. To be so close to the ocean and on a slope makes it a lost opportunity not to maximize views for as many homes as possible.

And the side in the other photo (north side) is actually the largest area, by far, of this project. But hold on, I'm not 100% sure what side we're looking at in these photos (north or south side?). Can anyone orient the location of the photographer for me?

Photo by ressen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Mike, Royal Bay is really flat. The only shaping I have seen out there is they have removed almost all features and flattened the land extensively.

Some homes along the slope on the southeastern side of Metchosin road will get some great views, but the majority of this site is flat. I doubt there will be any houses built up on that ridge those pictures were taken from.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yeah, they've leveled the big piles of rock and artifacts left over from the gravel operation, but you can see they're forming the land with a specific purpose in mind, like to create variation in height.

As for the bluff, you don't think they'll want to capitalize on the views from there?

Know it all.

#107 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

As for the bluff, you don't think they'll want to capitalize on the views from there?

Are they doing any prep work up there? Do they even own those lands?

Anyway, seems pretty flat to me the many times I have driven by. If they build SFDs most of the homes will be behind many rows of houses.

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

The Royal Bay development includes the houses already built on the bluff, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't continue building.

Royal Bay has actually been under construction since the early 2000's (note Royal Bay Drive) and half of the western edge north of Latoria along Wilshert has been built out or is in the process of being built out and ditto for the southwestern edge. The majority of the homes built were marketed as full oceanview or partial oceanview. The southwestern portion in particular was marketed as a prime view project (called Outlook or something like that). It's the gravel pit component that has only recently been getting attention.

East of Metchosin Road, which represents about 25% of the gravel pit lands, it'll be an incredible oceanview opportunity for hundreds and hundreds of homes.

Here's the full build-out plan as originally envisioned. The blackened portions have already been built.

Edit: I've now blackened out homes in the northeast corner and northwest corner (Hatley area and Delora area on the plan below) that have also been built as part of Royal Bay.

Know it all.

#109 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Are there any plans to expand Veterans Memorial Parkway from Sooke Rd to Latoria, or Metchosin Rd from Sooke Rd to the development, to four lanes?

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm sure once Royal Bay and properties near Royal Bay are developed the road will expand. Colwood will also install a controlled intersection at the end of the road.

Know it all.

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

From Colwood's website:

It's been incredible to watch the heavy duty machinery at work and the transformation of the Royal Bay development site over the last several months. Work is now complete on this first step of grading the site to prepare it for development, control soil erosion and rehabilitate the land.

On Thursday, January 30, 2014, trucks will travel along Metchosin Road to Sooke Road and out of the City along the Island Highway. The City will provide ongoing updates including any traffic advisories that may arise.

Now that the development site is leveled and seeded, Colwood is one step closer to seeing a vibrant new oceanfront neighbourhood at Royal Bay. Construction of Royal Bay Secondary School on the site is proceeding on time for a September 2015 opening.

Know it all.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Most of the soil preparation machinery is still parked on-site. If you haven't been out that way I strongly urge you to go out there and take in the scale of this development. It's huge!

Royal-Bay-machinery-Colwood.jpg

Know it all.

#113 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'm VERY picky but I'm impressed with the houses up around the phase B area on the map which you can see from Wishart (the area that use to be heavily tree'd). There are a number of unique styles and they are quite modern looking. I much prefer them to the houses in the long completed upper portion of Royal Bay which are "nice" in comparison to a lot of houses but fairly boring and all architecturally very similar. 

I still think both Colwood and Langford are a irresponsible with their developments. The road infrastructure isn't there, the employers aren't there, the "improvements" made to both communities seem to be unsustainable ever increasing tax burdens on existing residents. With that said this development has a lot of positive potential and while Colwood seems to have more failing projects they seem to approve potentially higher quality ones than Langford.

Edited by jdsony, 26 February 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#114 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Ressen started this thread back in 2007 and we finally get a chance to see the developers "proposed plan". That's a lot of money spent with no return in the near future. Someone must have deep pockets.

Colwood residents can glimpse designs for Royal Bay waterfront proposal

An open house Thursday (March 6) will give Colwood and West Shore residents a first look at the proposed plans for development of Royal Bay.

On the project website (royalbaycommunity.com), developer B.C. Investment Management Corporation describes a “vibrant and diverse community,” home to more than 7,000 residents at completion and featuring businesses and amenities.

The waterfront property in question stretches across Metchosin Road and west of Latoria Road. A village centre is proposed, featuring shops, businesses, restaurants and cafes. An oceanside village is also a part of the plan, along with open spaces, trails and waterfront walkways.

“Royal Bay will support pedestrian-friendly movement throughout the community and connect people to outdoor amenities, natural spaces and beaches,” reads the website.

“Development will commence, in phases, once sufficient planning has been completed, the required approvals are in place and market conditions will support the activities.”

The event is intended to be an interactive evening where participants will have the opportunity to speak one-on-one with representatives of the developers, to ask questions and get a walk through of the proposed plan.

The developers have expressed a desire to hear from the community for feedback on the proposed plan and ideas for changes.

The open house, the first of three, runs from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Church of the Advent, 510 Mount View Ave. The follow-up events will be held March 20 and April 3.

news@goldstreamgazette.com

• snub likes this

#115 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Someone must have deep pockets.

bcimc has some very deep pockets. http://bcimc.com/inv...ts/assetmix.asp

#116 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Oy vay! 7 plus years later and Colwood and the developers are still dragging their feet. Looks like the new High School will have a 466 acre playground for some time to come.

Story in the Goldstream Gazoo:

Residents living around the proposed Royal Bay project in Colwood worry that "unneighbourly" site preparation may be an indication of the developer's commitment to future work on the project.

Changes to the City of Colwood's 1996 Royal Bay area plan – which would amend the city's official community plan – passed third reading last week following a short public hearing. The final vote on the changes could come as early as the June 23 council meeting.

Councillors heard a variety of complaints at the hearing, with residents citing everything from ground-shaking work on the former gravel pit causing cracks in foundations and retaining walls, to unabated clouds of dust wafting through neighbourhoods and crews ignoring noise bylaws.

Details:

http://www.vicnews.c.../263306811.html

#117 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

This is the High School being built . It is Visible dead ahead from the Cruise Ship dock at Ogden. You can see it dead centre from the middle of the 2 piers.

#118 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

Parkside at Royal Bay (just above the Royal Bay development). 

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Those are unusually contemporary designs for a suburban development. One wonders how this will go over with the typical buyer of detached family homes in this area.

#120 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

Those are unusually contemporary designs for a suburban development. One wonders how this will go over with the typical buyer of detached family homes in this area.

They appear to be selling at a solid clip thus far.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users