• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#261 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Oh I don't know.  We force The Wave to retain that stupid distorted mural, perhaps a giant Marijuana leaf right here?

Something to make it less of an eyesore.  And force them to repair the burned out suites? Perhaps something to make the parkade wall at View & Quadra a little less ugly?

Attached Images

• vt.JPG

• jonny likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#262 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

^Wish all you want but you can't wave a magic wand. Lawyers are salivating at the opportunity to defeat arbitrary City orders that single out VT. Couldn't all Victoria properties benefit from some aesthetic improvements?

Edited by Rob Randall, 13 February 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#263 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

It's funny, I do not find it all that unattractive?

• Janion Fan likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#264 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

It's funny, I do not find it all that unattractive?

À chacun son goût.

#265 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

I say, let them build the second building on the condition it looks great and they change the appearance of View Towers. I think View Towers could be made to look completely different and modernised ... for a few dollars of course.

#266 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hey, if you want affordable housing in the city - this is what it looks like. You can't have exciting design elements and expensive cladding and materials and have an affordable price.  Build another VT, marginally modernized, and it can be affordable housing.

• tedward and johnk like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#267 masyd

masyd
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Does anyone know the current mthly parking rates for the building? Cheers! 

#268 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hey, if you want affordable housing in the city - this is what it looks like. You can't have exciting design elements and expensive cladding and materials and have an affordable price.  Build another VT, marginally modernized, and it can be affordable housing.

Well, I think the number one complaint with VT is how wide it is. An "affordable" building could surely be built that isn't as wide as it is tall. This thing literally sticks out like a sore thumb from all angles. The look could have easily been softened.

• Nparker likes this

#269 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

Does anyone know the current mthly parking rates for the building? Cheers!

I have a couple colleagues that park there. I believe it is $75 (definitely under $100). One of the best parking deals downtown and they always have space.

#270 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Exterior pannels added to the outside of View Tower, could be brick, could be aluminum siding, could be coloured glass, could be imagination ... could just be paint. Look how they changed the look of the old Executive House ...

Attached Images

• pannels.jpg

Edited by 2F2R, 18 February 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#271 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:29 AM

Really the current paint job was an improvement over the plain concrete. I guess people have forgotten what it looked like...

• http likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#272 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Strangely enough it would seem there are not a lot of old pictures of View Towers on the web... 

It has a whole new look!

#273 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

I looked at the north side at 9pm the other night. I'm going to say there are at least 80 vacant units in this building. Probably more.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#274 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

I looked at the north side at 9pm the other night. I'm going to say there are at least 80 vacant units in this building. Probably more.

If there are that many vacant units, it is possible to remove the top few floors so that it can no longer be called a tower.

#275 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

If there are that many vacant units, it is possible to remove the top few floors so that it can no longer be called a tower.

I'd suggest starting with the ground floor and removing all of the floors above.

#276 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

What a peculiar business strategy, unless they are weeding out the riff raff and planning to relaunch the building to target a more upmarket segment. 

• Nparker likes this

#277 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

It has amazing views to the south for sure.

It has a whole new look!

#278 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

80 units +/- vacant?
Maybe the owner(s) can wring a tax loss out of that.

#279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Whatever you say, Sid Tafler!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#280 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Many buildings in Victoria have had haircuts over the years. In the case of View Towers, methinks knocking off several floors could make the adjacent properties more viable for new development. As an alternative to erasing the building completely, I mean (which would also make the adjacent properties viable). A 12-story View Towers would still be a widescraper but at least there would be the potential for newer buildings to look over it, if not around it. And a less hulking View Towers wouldn't define the block and the immediate area nearly as much as it currently does.

• Bingo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users