• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#281 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Whatever you say, Sid Tafler!

You can also see the units that have no drapes. Something is up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#282 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

If all of these units are in a permanent state of renovation, does it make "reno-victing" easier? As in, because they technically don't have any livable units available, it's easier to kick people out of the building entirely?

#283 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hmmmmmm that's an interesting angle.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#284 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

I'm just not sure then why you'd leave any units tenanted.

#285 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

You can also see the units that have no drapes. Something is up.

Or in the case of the drapes, something isn't up.  :banana:

#286 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

If all of these units are in a permanent state of renovation, does it make "reno-victing" easier? As in, because they technically don't have any livable units available, it's easier to kick people out of the building entirely?

It the 45 year old+ buildings are going to be empty why not demolish them and start again?

After all we are talking about replacing the Crystal pool which is of a similar vintage.

• Nparker likes this

#287 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Purely speculation, but if they were looking at a big "renoviction", it maybe makes sense to have fewer tenants when the renoviction notice drops.

It is possible to have wide buildings that look good.

178264_2f3cad8e443258351690a149bdfdb07de

#288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

My gut feeling is they are looking to get rid of every tenant in that building. Once that's accomplished they'll launch a full on, major remodelling of the building and will transform it into semi-luxury rentals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#289 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I guy I know that lives there says there is pretty much nobody living beloe the 9th floor, but he does not know what their strategy is.

#290 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

My gut feeling is they are looking to get rid of every tenant in that building. Once that's accomplished they'll launch a full on, major remodelling of the building and will transform it into semi-luxury rentals.

That's going to have to be one helluva remodel.

#291 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

Something is up, for sure. Either they are planning on doing major work or whoever owns the place has lost their marbles. Any reasonable person would have their building rented 100% in a market with a 0.5% vacancy rate. This isn't rocket science or even hard work. Hiring a property manager takes no time at all and then you would just watch the rent roll in.

• tedward likes this

#292 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Once that's accomplished they'll launch a full on, major remodelling of the building and will transform it into semi-luxury rentals.

Impossible from a marketing perspective. Unless they pull the trigger on phase II and build a new mixed use project on Fort Street. But I don't see that happening with these owners.

#293 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

I think these owners have simply lost their marbles.

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

These guys are not hurting for revenue. They know where the market is and where it's going. They have nothing but time on their hands.

I've seen 1960's-era office buildings restored into luxury residences in other cities. Given the right 'tune-up,' View Towers could be remodelled into something spectacular.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#295 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

Still seems odd to forego $80,000/mo. in rental income while you are getting your act together.

#296 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

They've got a great case study in The Wade to watch if they do in fact want to convert this building to higher end living.

#297 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

They've got a great case study in The Wade to watch if they do in fact want to convert this building to higher end living.

It already has all that's needed for apartment living, I'm sure they could just go unit to unit and gut it, and replace kitchens, bathrooms etc.  The only thing they could not likely do is add in-suite laundry (easy to add dishwashers).  But they could make the laundry rooms very deluxe and secure if they wanted to.  

When you can do three loads at once in one machine, with a smart-card, suddenly the laundry room wait does not seem so bad.

IMG_0187.JPG

#298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

...The only thing they could not likely do is add in-suite laundry (easy to add dishwashers).  But they could make the laundry rooms very deluxe and secure if they wanted to. When you can do three loads at once in one machine, with a smart-card, suddenly the laundry room wait does not seem so bad.

I would never even consider buying into a building that didn't have in-suite laundry. That's a total deal-breaker for me. I might consider communal laundry in a rental situation but there had better be a laundry room closer than 18 floors below me. 

• shoeflack likes this

#299 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

I would never even consider buying into a building that didn't have in-suite laundry. That's a total deal-breaker for me. I might consider communal laundry in a rental situation but there had better be a laundry room closer than 18 floors below me. 

Well, VT will never be a condo.  But it can be a deluxe rental.

#300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

Well, VT will never be a condo.  But it can be a deluxe rental.

Semi-deluxe without in-suite laundry.  ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users