[Downtown Victoria] View Towers | 19-storeys | Built in 1960's

Rental

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#301 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Well, VT will never be a condo.  But it can be a deluxe rental.

But without sprinklers in the hall, eh!

#302 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

I wouldn't rent an apartment without in-suite laundry. That would be a huge deal-breaker for lots of folks.

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#303 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

I wouldn't rent an apartment without in-suite laundry. That would be a huge deal-breaker for lots of folks.

Well, most apartments in this city do not have it, so people seem to make do.

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#304 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Presumably most new, purpose-built rentals have in-suite laundry, so converting VT without this amenity would likely mean lower rents.

#305 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

Yes, they all do. It's a must-have.

That's one of the reasons why folks with decent paying jobs who are in the rental market go straight for condo rentals and never consider the old stock of 60's and 70's apartments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#306 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Just pimp out the laundry room.  When you can do laundry 3 or 5 times faster (more machines and/or bigger machines), a walk down the hall and a secure room is not that bad.  5 loads done in 1.25 hours.

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

That's the problem. Nobody wants to stand around for 1.25 hours waiting for their laundry to finish.

Know it all.

#308 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

...a walk down the hall and a secure room is not that bad.

It would be for me. I prefer to do laundry whenever I like, not at the behest of a laundry room's operating hours. It's also very nice to be able to do any size load you want from one pair of socks to a month's worth of jeans.

That being said, a same floor laundry room beats the hell out of going to a laundromat (not that many of those exist these days).

#309 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

That's the problem. Nobody wants to stand around for 1.25 hours waiting for their laundry to finish.

Bring your headphones, your iPad, and watch a movie.  All your laundry for the week done before Tom Cruise evens says "You complete me"  Or, as I said earlier, the apartment can invest in more secure options.  Locking machines.  If they have plenty, nobody minds, they still find a machine.

#310 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

It would be for me. I prefer to do laundry whenever I like, not at the behest of a laundry room's operating hours. It's also very nice to be able to do any size load you want from one pair of socks to a month's worth of jeans.

That being said, a same floor laundry room beats the hell out of going to a laundromat (not that many of those exist these days).

A properly pimped out laundry room is open 24 hours.  No coins, it's all card-operated.  If you are doing one pair of socks you must hate the planet.  When your room is more like this....

wm_medium.jpg

...than what you are used to, the $150/mo. in extra rent for a ensuite seems folly.  In New York, building can't have ensuite laundry, older building, but let me tell ya, some rooms are killer.

#311 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

I lived for a few years in a basement bachelor suite which included in-suite laundry. HUGE upside for a small apartment.

Now I don't have in-suite laundry, but one is about two units down the hall, so close enough!

#312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

... If you are doing one pair of socks you must hate the planet...

No kids, no car...the planet can support my sock habit for the next couple of decades.

#313 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

Try VHF's patented sock scheme.

#314 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

1.25 seems like a recurrent theme with VHF  :banana:

Know it all.

#315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Now who hates the planet?  ;)

#316 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Now who hates the planet?  ;)

I'm solving Middle East volatility.

• Nparker likes this

#317 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

I called VT today, no vacancies.

#318 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

I called VT today, no vacancies.

So many of their tenants prefer no window coverings and have no possessions visible from outside?

#319 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

So many of their tenants prefer no window coverings and have no possessions visible from outside?

Or lights on.

I guess they have some type of plan, who knows what it is.

• Nparker likes this

#320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Or lights on...

I suppose when you have no window coverings it only makes sense to keep the lights off, especially at night, if one wants even a modicum of privacy.  :huh:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users