Concerned Citizens Coalition

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:27 AM

To get the name on the ballot you need to prove at least 50 members were part of the group by the beginning of August - the date I think is 90 or 100 days before election day, exact details in the law. The 50 people have to be eligible to vote.

Why the declining vote? Because the first time Gregory ran he was only known for saving St Ann's which had only just happened. More people knew him then and could connect him with a specific city improvement.

#62 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

The saving of St Anns was a communal effort among many of Victoria's citizens.

#63 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

Gregory Hartnell certainly was one of the key people know for making it an issue and ceaselessly pushing the issue and this gave him a bit of a name in the late 80s and early 90s.

Yes, there were a lot of people involved with saving the buildings and grounds and my comments about Gregory being known for it did not intend to downplay anyone else.

#64 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Gregory Hartnell left the following comment on my blog:

For your information, and that of your readers, I have received an email from Father Allen Jones, that he has 'decided not to run in next election,' so you may remove his name from your list, please.

We are pleased to inform you that David Burke and myself are still standing to be nominated at our CCC nomination meeting on September 21.

Readers wishing to get more info on time and location of meeting are invited to phone: 250 382 97 67

- Gregory Hartnell, President
Concerned Citizens' Coalition

#65 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Should we be nominated, we will then go to City Hall with the requisite number of signatures (which I believe is 60) which will ensure that the words CONCERNED CITIZENS' COALITION are shown below or next to our names on the ballots, for easy identification by citizen - voters.

This was not allowed last time, and cost us many votes.

The number is only 50, not 60, but these are not merely signatures like on a petition. What you need are at least 50 members who are qualified to vote and have been members of the CCC for at least 60 days leading up to the nomination.

I would strongly suggest familiarizing yourself with the City's Candidate Information Guide that was provided to you. The rules may seem arbitrary but they are there to provide transparency and fairness for the benefit of candidates and citizens. If you have any questions I'll try my best to help.

#66 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

The rules come from the provincial legislation

#67 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

These guys just keep on getting more and more entertaining:

CCC

Father Allen Jones suffered a collapse on the streets of downtown Victoria recently, and after being ignored by many passersby who thought he was drunk or stoned on hard dope, was hospitalized after being assisted by other concerned citizens who called an ambulance.

He suffered wounds to his head, hands and arms, partly as a result of the well-intentioned but mistaken efforts of some of these concerned citizens to move him by themselves.

Enroute to the hospital, ambulance staff asked him if had done any drugs, which he consistently denied. The same question was posed repeatedly by hospital staff, which he answered in the negative.

The two time Concerned Citizens’ Coalition candidate is back at home now, recovering from his fall which was apparently due to a rare vitamin K deficiency.

A symptom of the vitamin K deficiency is increased heart beat, which was monitored while Father Allen was hospitalized. His heart was beating so quickly that medical staff became alarmed that he would have a heart attack while there.

Thankfully, after what can only be described as a near death experience, Father Allen now says that he is determined to stand to be nominated as a CCC candidate in this fall’s election after all. He had recently sent a short email saying that he had ‘decided not to run in next election.’

We are gratefull to the Creator that Father Allen has been spared, wish him Godspeed in his recovery and are pleased to learn that he wishes to stand for nomination as a CCC candidate at our nomination meeting to be held on September 21.

Welcome back to the land of the living, Father Allen!

CCC

He suffered wounds to his head, hands and arms, partly as a result of the well-intentioned but mistaken efforts of some of these concerned citizens to move him by themselves.

Say what? Sounds like he got beat up. Hardly the typical result when bystanders assist a fallen (or drugged out) victim. There's more to this story we don't know about.

This is better than a soap opera.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#68 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

CCC

Thank you, Mr. Randall, for your information and offer of help. I can see that although we are at odds on many issues, you display a public-spiritedness that is refreshingly non-partisan in this offer.

I wrote the above report in the public interest of readers at this website who may be interested in our activities, after having a telephone conversation with Father Allen Jones. If I misunderstood any aspect of the incident, I apologize to Father Allen and to the Vibrant Victoria readers.

But this is the story in broad outline as I understood it. Of course, coming from Father Allen's own mouth, the details would no doubt be even more troubling.

This is real life on the streets of Victoria, not an idiotic Hollywood soap-opera.

Truth is stranger than fiction, eh, Mr. West?

CCC

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

Being a health-conscious individual who still probably doesn't get enough vitamins, I was intrigued by this previously unknown-to-me "Vitamin K deficiency". It seems it's an extremely rare blood clotting problem in adults but in some even rarer cases can result in Hypoprothrombinemia which in rare cases can cause a bleed in the cranial vault. To me, that implies a Vitamin K deficiency could possibly cause a stroke or aneurysm, although it's a stretch to go from a stroke to psychotic behaviour on the street.

Still, it's a serious illness. Luckily, Vitamin K deficiency can easily be prevented with a normal diet.

At the same time, it would benefit all VibrantVictorians, including the CCC membership to monitor their health as we enter the dreaded "cold and flu season", in particular, monitoring the condition of our "cranial vaults".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#70 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

I'm confused. Was father Allen in a fight? Is there something in this conversation I'm missing here?

#71 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

If I can read between the lines it appears Father Allen suffered some sort of serious blood clot that affected his brain, causing him to collapse. He must have been flailing about wildly in order for the innocent bystanders to cause him extensive injuries simply by attempting to restrain him.

#72 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Wow, that's pretty scary, thank God he is ok. To me sounds like a sick individual probably slipped some hard dope into his cup at a local coffee shop. Hard to imagine a vitamin deficiency causing all those medical problems, but then again I'm no doctor. Might be worth a call to the local police force for further investigation.

#73 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

CCC

Father Allen Jones got 856 votes or .81% of votes cast (not 204 votes or .72% as Holden West suggests). I cite the City of Victoria website figures for the 2005 Victoria municipal election.

Holden West is similarly mistaken in his figures for Patrick Jamieson. Mr. Jamieson got 920 votes in his first time standing as a Concerned Citizens' Coalition candidate in the same 2005 election, not 230 or 81% as Mr. West mistakenly suggests.

In 2002, Father Allen Jones got 1619 votes (or 1.61% of votes cast) and John David Burke got 685 or .68% of votes cast in their first elections as CCC candidates.

Both David Burke ('David Jure') and Father Allen Jones are still standing to be nominated with myself as CCC candidates in our nomination meeting to be held on the 21st September.

Please phone 250 382 97 67 for further information.

CCC

#74 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

CCC

The Concerned Citizens' Coalition Weblog ('CCC BLOG') provides a unique political analysis of the Victoria Election 2008.

For up-to-date coverage of the election from the point of view of one of the CCC's three Victoria City Councillor Candidates, please refer to:

http://gregoryhartnell.wordpress.com/

This morning, I just put the finishing touches on two stories covering last night's All Candidates' Meeting at the Solstice Cafe, organized by the University of Victoria Students' Society.

Thanks, Vibrant Victoria, for providing this very valuable forum here from a different perspective.

Sincerely,

Gregory Hartnell, President
Candidate, Victoria City Council

CCC

#75 stdavid

stdavid
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

The media and fear mongers have done a marvelous job of conditioning you, I see ;)

No but watching my father who was a heavy smoker die of lung cancer did condition me. It is not a pretty way to die. Took him 2 years of agony. ;)

#76 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

^^ I appreciate the first-hand accounts that Gregory Hartnell has been posting to his Concerned Citizens Coalition blog. Heck, the mainstream media haven't exactly been assiduous in covering the issues, the candidates, the events -- so, bully for the bloggers who are doing the work.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#77 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

I just posted this article from the Globe and Mail in another thread - implication being so many candidates, so little time to cover them. That will be a major theme of this election (my opinion) - while many despise partisan politics, like in Vancouver, as it tends to shut out independent candidates, when there are so many (35 for council) trying to sort platforms, issue statements, experience and personalities is hardship.

#78 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

I hope everyone had a chance to read Jack Knox's very funny piece in today's paper, "When electioneering is a bit like speed dating." Very funny, highly recommended. Excerpt:

Put all the councils together, add in the four school boards and the three rural seats on the CRD, and we have 244 candidates trying to squeeze into 126 elected positions.

Oops, don't forget the Islands Trust. That's another 20 candidates, bringing the total to 266.

Good Lord, 266 candidates? This isn't an election, it's the witness protection program. A fugitive could hide out on the ballot for years, never get seen.

Want to know where Ian Thow is? Running for dog catcher in Esquimalt.

<sigh>

And then there was "Municipal hopefuls drowning in a sea of questionnaires," also in today's paper.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users