[Marine] Harbour ferries

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

Right now these are a little too "quaint" for me; is there potential to make them useful to non-tourists? Are they useful already?

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

Some sort of pass or card to get a discounted rate woudl be good. Often when i'm in town I'd like to get up to the fisherman's wharf area of james bay, or go from the inner harbour up the gorge a little. The bus or walking works fine, but the ferry seems so much more fun. If the price wasn't the ridiculous $5 or what ever it is, I think more locals would take it.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

It would be awesome if it could tie into the bus passes, or there could be an optional add on ferry pass. I love those little ferries!

#4 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

I think harbour ferries could be really useful since there are no traffic lights, much less congestion on the harbour compared with roads, and in many cases a more direct route from one place to another. Whether that can make up for the slower speed of a harbour ferry I don't know. There could be the bus rapid transit down Douglas St but there could also be "harbour ferry rapid transit" from West Bay to at least Gorge Rd, if not farther since the Gorge roughly parallels Douglas/HWY1. I think farther 'upstream' is clogged with seaweed so I don't know how well the ferries would work up there. I wonder if it could get lots of people out of their cars & reduce congestion on the streets.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

If I'm not mistaken, something in the back of my mind says they do have an annual or monthly pass for Songhees residents.

It's $4 for harbour trips for adults, $2 for kids. They do have these cards, but it doesn't say how much they save you: http://www.victoriah...uise-cards.html. I guess these ferries now have wireless interac if they take these types of cards. What a hassle. Can't anyone carry cash anymore?

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

We need a vaporetto service

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

We need a vaporetto service

That's precisely what I thought of last night, except I thought gondola because I've never heard of a vaporetto. Anyway that's what we need. The Gorge is in exactly the right place for vaporetto or water bus service.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

When did Gray Line take over this thing?

http://sightseeingvi.../harboursights/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

Kinda looks like they only took over the Lady Mae?
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users