Empress hotel reno

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

I received a lovely birthday present in November, of a gift certificate to the Willow Stream Spa at the Empress. I thought, cool, maybe I'll go in for some pampering. Well turns out the spa is closed during the rebuild/renovation, and I won't be able to use it until next April. Drat!

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Q IN SIXTY - BUSINESS LUNCH

Time is of the essence and we want to make sure you match your valuable time with a quality dining experience.  We guarantee a top quality lunch in 60 minutes or less, and all for $28!

Monday to Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Price: $28

Lunch includes:

• Our starter display: Featuring salads, local charcuterie selection, antipasti, breads and dips.
  • A main course: Choose from a selection of three mains (changing weekly).
  • Dessert: We will feature a new set dessert every week.

Options are available for beverages featuring a la carte pricing (not included in the lunch cost).

http://www.fairmont...._emp_newsletter

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

$28 for lunch & they can't throw in a cup of coffee?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#104 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

$28 for lunch & they can't throw in a cup of coffee?

Who includes coffee with ANY meal anymore? 

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

When you're charging $28 for lunch with a very limited entree selection (3 items), I think it's a nice touch to also include a non-alcoholic beverage for no additional charge.

#106 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

When you're charging $28 for lunch with a very limited entree selection (3 items), I think it's a nice touch to also include a non-alcoholic beverage for no additional charge.

At some places they don't even bring a glass of water unless you ask for it.

#107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

At some places they don't even bring a glass of water unless you ask for it.

You've got to stop agreeing to accompany VHF to lunch at McDonald's.  ;)

#108 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

spaghetti factory

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

spaghetti factory

If you like spaghetti, and if that is your "go to"location.

#110 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

^I don't think it's possible to like spaghetti and go to the Spaghetti Factory.

• Nparker, Bingo, lanforod and 2 others like this

#111 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:18 AM

^ agreed. The OSF is good at some things. Pasta is not one of them.

#112 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

OSF is still one of the best deals in town. You get your full meal, including spumoni ice cream, and it's reasonably priced. That's why during the tourist season you see so many families queued up outside. Good value if you're feeding a family.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#113 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

OSF is still one of the best deals in town. You get your full meal, including spumoni ice cream, and it's reasonably priced. That's why during the tourist season you see so many families queued up outside. Good value if you're feeding a family.

I agree with this.  And it rates pretty well.  If you consider there is not really any other "family restaurant" in downtown Victoria, if you don't include Frankie's or Moxie's.  I mean, when we lost the Pizza Hut, that was a shame.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#114 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

I'm a little surprised not to have seen any discussions about this on yet on VV .

porte.JPG
http://www.timescolo...s-off-1.4007168

I like it. The main entrance needs to be grander. It's not as though a "porte cochere" isn't already an element of the hotel

porte2.JPG

ps: now bring back the Bengal Lounge and all will be forgiven.  -_-

Just right.

#115 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

I agree with this.  And it rates pretty well.  If you consider there is not really any other "family restaurant" in downtown Victoria, if you don't include Frankie's or Moxie's.  I mean, when we lost the Pizza Hut, that was a shame.

Yeah OSF is good for families. Way too busy though, typically.

Cora's is another, though not for dinner. Milestones is family friendly (in everything but price). Romeo's as good for families. 

#116 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

If you think $28 for lunch at the Empress is pricey - I didn't personally, in fact I think it is reasonable given the venue - then clearly you don't dine at other Fairmont (or ex-Fairmont properties) in other bigger markets like Vancouver; at the Hotel Vancouver's main eatery (Notch 8) the fare offered at this Empress luncheon would rank as the third least expensive menu item, with only Fish & Chips and Lasagna being cheaper at the Vancouver property ($25 apiece). While based on prices at "Arc", Fairmont Waterfront's main grub shack where I chowed down just a few weeks ago, $28 is exactly on par with the cost of the average lunch there. And 'no' there were no freebie beverages tossed into the meal alcoholic or otherwise.

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

If you think $28 for lunch at the Empress is pricey- then clearly you don't dine at other Fairmont (or ex-Fairmont properties) in other bigger markets like Vancouver...

I have dined at other Fairmont properties and yes if one compares the cost at the Empress to those it's not outrageous. However, as several others have remarked equally good meals can be had in Victoria for equal or less cost.

#118 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have dined at other Fairmont properties and yes if one compares the cost at the Empress to those it's not outrageous. However, as several others have remarked equally good meals can be had in Victoria for equal or less cost.

Quite true: OTOH those other places also aren't paying for the overhead and upkeep and maintenance of the largest hotel in the city, nor the roughly $40 million bucks they just expended in renovations which ultimately needs to be recouped somehow. Nevertheless I agree you can certainly find excellent meals elsewhere and certainly for less $ in general.

• Nparker likes this

#119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

I don't think it's possible to like spaghetti and go to the Spaghetti Factory.

The thing is we're not talking about THE Spaghetti Factory in Gastown back in the 70's 'cause you haven't had all you can eat spaghetti like that here. 

#120 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

I like everything that has happened at the Empress since Bosa took over. It's just that simple.  

Humboldt Street side... face lift in progress.

IMG_5854.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users