Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#1 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

Check out this picture of the Centennial Stadium crowd at the 1994 Commonwealth Games:

Picture by Gregory Williams at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...monwealthgames/

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

More pictures by Maxwell Smart at Flickr.com:

http://www.flickr.co...57603137687615/

#3 BZelley

BZelley
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

There were some excellent events staged during the Games, but the five years leading up to the 1994 Commonwealth Games was a rocky ride with many twists and turns - Brian Zelley, Interim boxing chairman (1991). :o:cool::)

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Welcome to VV Brian!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#5 BZelley

BZelley
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

Welcome to VV Brian!

Thanks, I hope I can add a few positive posts as time permits

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

From Wikipedia:

Victoria 1994 was considered by many in the Commonwealth movement to be a version of a minimalistic games. Some considered them a mild letdown from the high memories of Auckland's games four years previously. Facilities were temporary and none more so than the large scaffolding built Stands that totally transformed the University of Victoria's Centennial Stadium. Still the games were successful and proved to many that smaller cities could manage hosting a large event such as a Commonwealth Games.

There were more countries represented in Victoria than ever before, more athletes attending than ever before, and the budget was about $100 million more than Auckland's budget, but it was a minimalistic games. A mild letdown.

www.hazardscentre.com/hazards_publications/pdf/sustainability_planning/2010_commonwealth.pdf#page=13

Victoria's fetish for self-deprecation knows no bounds.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Yes but to the central point Aastra what physical legacy did we get out of those games?

No stadium of any appreciable description aside from the 2-3000 seats on the east side of the existing UVic facility: admittedly I haven't checked but I bet for any major sporting competition (Olympics, Commonwealth Games), I'll bet that was a first.

We got a velodrome which was allowed to literally crumble away and as I recall didn't meet certain international cycling standards in any event. Unless I am missing something basically, aside from perhaps goodwill - and how do we measure that? - we got a pool and not much else. From that standpoint I would say it was a minimalist games. As I recall too the temporary seating at Centennial Stadium was supplied by a Californa company which offered the whole structure - all 33,000 seats - to the city/university for something like $100K. Yet for whatever reason we refused.

#8 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

They also planted a bunch more trees than they cut down at the rifle range in Saanich......

Some blue lines were painted on the roads for the bike races.....

There might have been some slight upgrades to the rowing facilities at Elk Lake....

Definitely minimalist.... I was in the closing ceremonies, I think I got some snacks... I pulled targets for the shooting events, and that was like a 2 dollar an hour raise, almost made minimum wage!

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

The 1986 games in Edinburgh were also very minimalist, likely for even less money. They were also arguably the worst organized.

2014 in Glasgow, the first time Scotland has hosted the games (previous ones were in Scotland, but there was no Scotish government to host them), will have almost no spending on sports based infrastructure. Glasgow/Scotland is spending a lot of money on transportation infrastructure which is not tied to the games.

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Isn't it good the games didn't cost or ton or require the construction of facilities? If a large event can require very little public funding that's a good thing!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Isn't it good the games didn't cost or ton or require the construction of facilities? If a large event can require very little public funding that's a good thing!

Have to agree with you there. Look at the Vancouver Olympics. The taxpayer is saddled with up to $1B in debt with few if any of the promised long term benefits.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

If you take out the infrastructure that would have been built anyway in Vancouver, the 2010 Olympics were not a money loser. The Canada Line and the Sea to Sky highway were both going to be built with or without the Olympics. The Sea to Sky upgrade was already about 10-20 years behind.

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

If you take out the infrastructure that would have been built anyway in Vancouver, the 2010 Olympics were not a money loser. The Canada Line and the Sea to Sky highway were both going to be built with or without the Olympics. The Sea to Sky upgrade was already about 10-20 years behind.

Two words ... Olympic Village

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

Two words ... Olympic Village

That is not on the BC taxpayer, other than the City of Vancouver. The City of Vancouver screwed and are suffering for it, too bad for them, but they should not have gone into the deal in the first place.

On the other hand, the City of Vancouver got this amazing two week long global ad campaign and reaped most of the actual monetary benefits of the games.

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

... I pulled targets for the shooting events, and that was like a 2 dollar an hour raise, almost made minimum wage!

Seriously!? So did I!

#16 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Seriously!? So did I!

Yeah I was there, grew up nearby (Willis Point) so all three of my siblings worked at the range at one point or another, my sister and I being close in age both worked during the games. I remember they even set up a refreshment tent near the entrance to the range where we even got free pop or juice to go along with our raise....

#17 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Yeah I was there, grew up nearby (Willis Point) so all three of my siblings worked at the range at one point or another, my sister and I being close in age both worked during the games. I remember they even set up a refreshment tent near the entrance to the range where we even got free pop or juice to go along with our raise....

Ah, one of the Willis Point crowd, eh? I'll bet we know each other or at least ran in the same circles. I spent many a day at Gino Cappuccino @ Broadmead Village - owned by another Willis Pointer, I might add!

#18 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Ah, one of the Willis Point crowd, eh? I'll bet we know each other or at least ran in the same circles. I spent many a day at Gino Cappuccino @ Broadmead Village - owned by another Willis Pointer, I might add!

Crap, I'd bet a doughnut we do know each other... I also spent a tonne of time at Gino Cappuccino....

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Good pic of the stadium/opening ceremonies here:
http://www.visualpho...ia_commonwealth

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Mens 4x100 final on YouTube:

1994-Commonwealth_Games-4x100-Final-A.jpg

1994-Commonwealth_Games-4x100-Final-B.jpg

1994-CommonwealthGames-CentennialStadium-UVic.jpg

(all of that temporary seating made the stadium look legit)

Edited by aastra, 01 March 2018 - 10:06 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users