Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#421 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

Nothing kicks an arbitrary undertaking into high gear like a fast-approaching deadline.

Such as loosing infrastructure money for a new bridge comes to mind.

• aastra likes this

#422 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

The giant median between the existing north and southbound lanes would be a great start. That's essentially what it's there for.

There's absolutely zero business case for LRT or mass transit in this region. The best we can hope for would be BRT, and even then the cost of the "stations" would be massive and frivolous, for the most part.

and where would you put these 100,000 or so extra cars, pave over parks to create parking lots? the giant median ends at tillicum rd. but you are right, there is no business case to be green, even though we pretend we are with the odd bike lane here and there.

#423 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

There are simply far better ways to spend 1 billion taxpayer dollars to enhance the lives of Canadians and residents of the CRD in particular, This is not a good value expenditure.

According to some here, adding two extra lanes for cars is a good way to do that. Besides do we really need a large sporting event to encourage investment in our region? Isnt it enough to say we need better transportation infrastructure (transit, rail and cycling), affordable housing, etc.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#424 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Esquimalt says NO to any money - in kind or otherwise - for games.  Awkward, since Victoria shares the police service and that would be the big ticket item.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 August 2017 - 08:37 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#425 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Esquimalt says NO to any money - in kind or otherwise - for games.  Awkward, since Victoria shares the police service and that would be the big ticket item.

Helps is being uncharacteristically quiet on the issue.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#426 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

Helps is being uncharacteristically quiet on the issue.

She's waiting for Carol James to give the thumbs down to provincial funding then she'll know what her official answer can be.

#427 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

She's waiting for Carol James to give the thumbs down to provincial funding then she'll know what her official answer can be.

Likely the Federal Minister as she is eyeing a run for the Liberals (IMHO)!

#428 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

"If the region decides that they want to go forward with this, that it's a good thing for them, then they can do that. But we as a community are opting out. There's just too much local work for us right now. We want to get that stuff done," says Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins.

The mayor says she doesn't see enough benefit to justify the cost to her taxpayers. "You know what? They're not brining anything forward to Esquimalt from everything we've heard anyways. Certainly we don't have any land to build new venues. Nobody came to us and said we'd like your venues. So, it really isn't something that would engage our community."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

For God's sake, is it ever time to amalgamate...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#430 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

Likely the Federal Minister as she is eyeing a run for the Liberals (IMHO)!

I can't believe for a second the Federal Liberal party would want to be associated with Ms. Helps.

#431 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I can't believe for a second the Federal Liberal party would want to be associated with Ms. Helps.

It is a tough riding for the Feds since it typically votes NDP anyways, but come 2019 when the Liberals are still talking about a national strategy for the homeless who better to take on the role of advocate? By that time Victoria should have more than enough homeless people to swing the vote towards Helps!

#432 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

...By that time Victoria should have more than enough homeless people to swing the vote towards Helps!

Technically, can the homeless vote if they have no address at which to be registered?

#433 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Technically, can the homeless vote if they have no address at which to be registered?

Yes, they can vote in all levels of elections.

#434 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

Yes, they can vote in all levels of elections.

How do they prove in which riding they reside and prove that they have not voted more than once. Admittedly, the latter is not likely to be much of an issue.

#435 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

How do they prove in which riding they reside and prove that they have not voted more than once. Admittedly, the latter is not likely to be much of an issue.

All you need to do is have someone else vouch for you and you get a voting slip. Can't discriminate against the homeless

#436 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Looks like I am going to be busy on municipal voting day next year running from poll-to-poll with no ID claiming to be homeless and voting against all the incumbents as often as I can.

#437 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Looks like I am going to be busy on municipal voting day next year running from poll-to-poll with no ID claiming to be homeless and voting against all the incumbents as often as I can.

You wouldn't be the first or the last. This is what you need to do.

If you don't have documents to prove your identity and address, you can swear a written oath of residence, attested to by another elector. That person has to be an eligible elector in the same polling division as you, and he or she must show authorized documents that prove his or her identity and address.

I wouldn't be surprised that come election time there are reps from the various shelters at each polling station swearing oaths all day long.

Edited by spanky123, 22 August 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#438 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, you still need to provide an address, but you can use a shelter address. 

Shelter reps couldn't stand there at a polling place vouching for people all day either - unless they're family members, a voter can only vouch for one other person. It all gets recorded and there's months of reconciliation afterwards. If someone did manage to vote multiple times, obviously the votes couldn't be removed from the totals but the person would very likely be criminally charged for fraud.

#439 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I've been a deputy returning officer at many, many elections, and most for polls where the shelters are.  It's not really an issue, very few vote.

#440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

...If you don't have documents to prove your identity and address, you can swear a written oath of residence...

So what if your place of residence is a tent in a city park and no registered voter knows you? Can you still vote?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users