Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#541 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

Why dont Black and his pals just pay all the costs and let them pocket whatever "profits" may result? Take the risk with YOUR money, Davey. You are an entrepreneur, aren't you?
I wish he would just go away and peddle his papers, the ones with barely coherent writing and scarce editing.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, spanky123 and 2 others like this

#542 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-09-17-20-33-25-010.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#543 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

Some of those comments are unnecessarily nasty, but yes, it's time to retire this idea. The writers at Black Press are likely not too thrilled to have to keep pushing this proposal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#544 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Some of those comments are unnecessarily nasty, but yes, it's time to retire this idea. The writers at Black Press are likely not too thrilled to have to keep pushing this proposal.

That's internet comments in general for you, and Facebook comments in particular. Perhaps Victorian comments to be more particular still.

But yes, I agree that the idea should be shut down. Black seems to have a hard on for this thing, if so he can put up or shut up. Otherwise let it go already.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#545 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

Black knows that the Commonwealth Games put Governments on the hook for payment of monies owed, they don't put individuals on the hook.

Black's antics this past week only highlight that he knows that no matter what he says publicly now, in the end, when it really counts - the B.C. Government will have no choice but to pay any invoices still owing.

Make no mistake, no matter what Black says now, the taxpayers of the CRD and more widely British Columbia will be on the hook to pay the bills.

Black looks terribly weak on this issue currently, and this ongoing effort, complete with radical shifts in statements made as to how the games will be paid for really don't look very good on Black as a businessman. 

His ego needs a win on this issue, and I predict that we'll not see him change his tune, or leave the pulpit until the Commonwealth Games actually puts a stop to this by announcing the winning bid city ... which won't be Victoria.

Black failing to bring the games to Victoria is a major stain on his reputation as somebody who can "take care of business", and he knows it.

• Nparker likes this

#546 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

Or this could be a guerrilla marketing ploy for his papers which have adopted a new digital media platform. What better way to promote his outlets than to keep him and his company in the news for months on end.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#547 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

What we need to do is distract David with another f&6cked up yet over the top idea.

How about we have him build a hyperloop between Langford and Downtown? Think about it, people will be able to travel between the two point in under 3 minutes. I seem to recall Elon Musk doing a Ted talk a while back on his idea so Lisa Helps will be all over it. Between self driving cars and the hyperloop we will have no non-autonomous traffic on City streets by 2020 so we can stop investment now in any parking or infrastructure maintenance or upgrades and save tens of millions of dollars that we can give to the homeless. Once the homeless have the money they will all become contributing members of society and we can shut down all of the social service agencies and save even more!

Anyone got David's cell number?!

• Nparker likes this

#548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Anywoooo, turns out Birmingham is the only bidder.  I guess Liverpool lost to them in the UK race, not sure what happened to Malaysia.  Birmingham is the tentative winner. 

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#549 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Bidding has re-opened as Birmingham’s bid was not “fully compliant.”

Yikes. That must be a real let down. Bidding has been extended to November 30th.

Know it all.

#550 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Oh, FFS.

Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia and Victoria in British Columbia, Canada had both considered bidding for the Games but not followed through. Despite this, David Grevemberg CBE, Chief Executive of CBF claimed that both Malaysia and Canada, as well as Australia, had been continuing to show interest in hosting the Games.

Until the UK government decided to back Birmingham’s proposal, Liverpool had been preparing its own bid. Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson claimed that his city’s bid was compliant and that ‘there are definitely questions to be asked’ about why the government chose a ‘non-compliant bid’.

http://www.redbrick....ingham-applies/

#551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Makes you wonder if the UK doesn’t want the games. The security costs are going to be extreme, and lots of would-be visitors will avoid the UK’s major gatherings for obvious reasons.

And Brexit will make travel tough for Europeans.

Know it all.

#552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

Makes you wonder if the UK doesn’t want the games...

Other than David Black and a handful of his minions, does anyone really want these games?

#553 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

Other than David Black and a handful of his minions, does anyone really want these games?

Don't give anybody any "new" ideas! :)

You may be surprised if there was a snap referendum held in the CRD asking residents "would you like the CRD to host the Commonwealth Games?"

Lots of local residents love big special events, and don't read things like VV or follow the news closely enough to even worry about who's paying for things.

Lots of folks simply don't care who pays for things, they just want entertainment, sports, and other distractions presented locally so they can attend.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#554 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

Birmingham is still waiting to be officially endorsed as host city of the 2022 Commonwealth Games despite remaining the only public bidder.

The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) said it is close to confirming the replacement for Durban, which was stripped in March, but "require(s) further clarification on a range of issues".

Birmingham thought it had won the race to stage the Games in September when the city emerged as the only bigger - only for the CGF to deem its bid not "fully compliant".

The extended deadline for further bids or expressions of interest passed last week with no more evident developments despite the CGF claiming to have examined bids or prospective bids from as many as eight cities.

#555 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:31 AM

10 unforgettable moments from the 1994 Victoria Commonwealth Games

https://www.timescol...ames-1.23926494

#556 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

It’s the 25th anniversary of the 1994 Commonwealth Games, and a whole generation has no recollection of the moment many long-timers consider a seminal part of the region’s past.

The joke used to be that many of the 14,000 volunteers would wear their Easter-egg coloured uniforms until they became worn and threadbare. Indeed, for many years after, they could be found on the backs of former volunteers or in thrift or second-hand stores.

https://www.timescol...oria-1.23925966

#557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:24 AM

It was a terrible time if you were reliant on BC Transit.

The transit system redirected buses to shuttle services between the various sports complexes, leaving locals stuck. That was the 90s, of course, so attitudes towards those who relied on transit were different than they are today. But I’ll never forget that gesture.

Know it all.

#558 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

While it was a nice party and likely contributed significantly to really putting Victoria on the international radar so to speak, my main recollection of those games is a host city - perhaps for the first time in the history of host cities for major Sporting Games - getting virtually zip in terms of legacy facilities. We got a pool and that's about it.

The velodrome wasn't built to international (bicycle/Olympic) racing standards as I recall, was about as plain Jane and basic a cycling facility as you could get in any event, and regardless because it was an outdoor facility essentially crumbled to pieces due to weathering and was eventually bulldozed.

The California company that leased the temporary stands for the 33,000 seat stadium at UVic reportedly offered the entire thing for sale to the city - for $100K. IOW for about a quarter the price of the average condo in 2019, we could've had a 30K+ seat stadium lock, stock and barrel. This region - being this region, after all, in its infinite wisdom - unbelievably said "no thanks". So the bottom line is we got a pool. But it did after all include a wave pool to boot...yippee!

Offhand I can't think of any other host city in any other modern sporting games - Commonwealth, Pan Am, Asian, or Olympic - that emerged with so little as a result of the time, energy, effort and above all the dollars expended.

• Nparker likes this

#559 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

25 years later not sure we needed a 30,000-seat stadium.

one my my greatest memories was all the bike crashes at the bottom of mayfair drive when the bikes came down mt. tolmie and turned left at richmond.  dozens if not hundred+ crashed.  mostly into hay bales.  but it still must have hurt.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#560 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:02 PM

I am not sure that winning the 2022 games would have helped, but would it have made a difference in retaining the National Training Centre and the funds associated with maintaining the pool?  

Why are the operating costs going up 6% per year?  (Maintenance?)

Saanich Place was built for the swimming and diving events of the 1994 Commonwealth Games. A 25-year operating and funding agreement with the federal and provincial governments, which prioritized access to the facility for high-performance sports organizations, expires next August. The two senior levels of government provided a total of $330,000 annually toward facility operating and maintenance costs as part of the agreement.

Saanich council voted in September to continue providing preferred access to high-performance athletes after the agreement ends, but required sports organizations to pay a six per cent annual increase in usage fees beginning in 2020. Saanich said it will also increase its facility operating funding by nearly $300,000 per year. Saanich said the additional funds are needed to cover Commonwealth Place’s operating costs, which in 2018 were $2.3 million.

https://www.timescol...ntre-1.23966596

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users