Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#141 countercurrent

countercurrent
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

Several streets in Oak Bay, and quite possibly within the City of Victoria, still have the five-year blue bicycle race paint that racers followed during cycling events. Despite it's intended short-lived chemical make-up, Victorians may have unknowingly stumbled upon an extremely durable, weather resistant road paint that refuses to let the Spirit of '94 fade away.

Those are the markings from the running races and maybe some of the wheelchair events.   The cycling road races were held in the UVIc/Gordon Head area and the cycling time trials were on the Peninsula.   Running races often (always?) have the official race path (for the exact distance) marked on the road.  Road cycling events never do.

Here are two videos of the road cycling events and no lines are visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaWTyaFafrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PorwOfY6XDw

• todd likes this

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

Oh cool, thanks for clarifying that!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Several streets in Oak Bay, and quite possibly within the City of Victoria, still have the five-year blue bicycle race paint that racers followed during cycling events. 

My recollection is that the blue lines were only used for the marathon, not the cycling event.

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Black says Vancouver is also bidding.

CFAX caller say the CG needs a 10-lane pool now.  Saanich only has 8.

https://en.wikipedia..._Aquatic_Centre

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

End this nonsense now before any (more?) taxpayer money is spent.

#146 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Black says Vancouver is also bidding.

CFAX caller say the CG needs a 10-lane pool now.  Saanich only has 8.

https://en.wikipedia..._Aquatic_Centre

Vancouver would be a shoo-in in terms of facility space. They should have nearly everything already.

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Vancouver would be a shoo-in in terms of facility space. They should have nearly everything already.

Vancouver doesn't have a proper aquatic centre or a track and field stadium. I suppose they could do what Victoria did in 1994 and build a mountain of temporary seating at Swangard or maybe even at UBC. What about a velodrome? The one in Burnaby has no seating.

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

Vancouver doesn't have a proper aquatic centre or a track and field stadium. I suppose they could do what Victoria did in 1994 and build a mountain of temporary seating at Swangard or maybe even at UBC. What about a velodrome? The one in Burnaby has no seating.

What's wrong with BC Place?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#149 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

My recollection is that the blue lines were only used for the marathon, not the cycling event.

I thought it was the center line  :unsure:

#150 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

54,000 empty seats for all the events will be very noticeable.

Edited by Nparker, 04 July 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#151 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Methinks you'd see a lot of world records if you put a running track in there.

BC Place:

bc-photographer-cfl-photos-lions-eskimos

Edmonton Commonwealth:

13-09-10-1052a_xgaplus.jpg

#152 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

UBC has a 10-lane FINA-standard Olympic competition pool, as does Surrey (Grandview Heights). Not sure about seating capacity, but those two pools are among the best in Canada.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#153 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

All the short range stuff in track and field stuff can be done at BC Place. The longer runs, maybe not, but just do those outdoors somewhere, UBC perhaps.

See shoeflack RE. the aquatic stuff.

Velodrome - I don't think the Burnaby facility is sufficient, but it's high time they built a new world class velodrome in Vancouver anyways. This is one category Victoria wins in, though.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

BC Place would still be considered outdoor, no?  I thought indoor referred to short track ie. 200m oval.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 July 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#155 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

All the short range stuff in track and field stuff can be done at BC Place.

Guys, this is laughable. It would never happen. A proper 400m track in a stadium environment is a must-have for any serious track and field event, let alone a major international event. BC Place is too small, which is why you've never seen a track and field event there. Didn't we all know that?

• jonny and shoeflack like this

#156 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Unless we're scheming up some way to remove many rows of seating in BC Place, it just can't happen.

• jonny likes this

#157 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

All the short range stuff in track and field stuff can be done at BC Place. The longer runs, maybe not, but just do those outdoors somewhere, UBC perhaps.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that. The IAAF requires a single site. Track meets are extremely challenging to run when they are one venue, let alone multiple. There is lots of space to add seating at Swangard or UBC, heck even in Coquitlam where they just hosted a major international meet.

Let's also not forget that PavCo managed to built a temporary 30,000-seat stadium for under $15-million while renovating BC Place. Not a bad price all things considered. Do the same thing around an existing track and you're set.

Edited by shoeflack, 04 July 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Do the same thing around an existing track and you're set.

Reminds me of something we all saw back in 1994.

1994-CommonwealthGames-UVic-1.jpg

1994-CommonwealthGames-UVic-2.jpg

Edited by aastra, 04 July 2017 - 03:53 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and shoeflack like this

#159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Aastra is the Jonathan Huggett of games architecture. The City should hire him.

• VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#160 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

Guys, this is laughable. It would never happen. A proper 400m track in a stadium environment is a must-have for any serious track and field event, let alone a major international event. BC Place is too small, which is why you've never seen a track and field event there. Didn't we all know that?

Oh, you mean a 400m track could never fit in there?  Don't the seats peel back?  OK, I did not know a track could not fit.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 July 2017 - 02:12 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users