Latest VV Article

Condo Review: Union

Vancouver-based Anthem Properties has made its Victoria development debut with the Union, a two building lowrise condo project between the 500-blocks of Pandora Avenue and Fisgard Street in Old Town’s amenity rich Chinatown district. The Union property, left barren for nearly a decade after the failure of a previous condo development, is a stones throw from the Inner Harbour and literally at the nexus of a rapidly changing and increasingly desirable historic area. [Read more]

Photo

Victoria major concerts and shows

• Please log in to reply
676 replies to this topic

#1 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:55 PM

Let's hear which ones you've been to, where you saw them, and what you thought of them.

I've seen Bryan Adams and Def Leppard at Save-On. Both were really good.

I wanted to see Mellencamp but after getting two tickets to Prism for 25$ at the Sooke Community Centre, I had a hard time justifying $100+ for one ticket to see old Johnny boy.

I'll let you guys know what I thought of Prism later.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 9,897 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

I hear Skid Row is coming!

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

VicHockeyFan and I were present at Def Leppard at the old Memorial Arena back in 1983. Uriah Heep were the supporting act.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

I saw Sharon, Lois and Bram that year.

Tee hee.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

I know. Your mom's totally hot.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

Due to the shoddy job of soundproofing on the SOFMC, I have been able to "enjoy" the sound of, if not the spectacle of, a good deal of the concerts that have taken place there in the past 3 years - right from the comfort of my bed.

On a related note, I notice that SHAW has put their signage up on the Caledonia side of the centre. Perhaps their presence there will bring some much needed "non-event-time" life to this site.

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Nparker, I know exactly what you're talking about. The night before I saw Bryan Adams at Save-On, I got a quick sample driving by. I could clearly hear the song playing. If you can hear the concerts from your bed, it's not just Save-On that needs better sound insulation though, unless your bed is in the arena!

Prism was fun, and what a bargain!

So no one here has been to a rock concert in Victoria for a quarter of a century? :confused:

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,224 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Nparker, I know exactly what you're talking about. The night before I saw Bryan Adams at Save-On, I got a quick sample driving by. I could clearly hear the song playing. If you can hear the concerts from your bed, it's not just Save-On that needs better sound insulation though, unless your bed is in the arena!

So no one here has been to a rock concert in Victoria for a quarter of a century? :confused:

I was at Mellancamp last week. I'll be at Avril Lavigne in a few days, and I'll be at Thoroughgood and Queens of the Stone Age soon too.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 16,110 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

Avril Lavigne is still playing concerts?

I haven't been to a concert in the SOFA quite yet. Either the bands that come here aren't my thing or tickets sell out faster than I could ever get my hands on them.

Skyscraper Source Media Inc.

#10 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

^Select your tickets is no Ticketmaster. They need to seriously upgrade their servers. I've been to a couple of shows and I must say the sound is very disappointing, it's slightly better than the old arena perhaps the same as the Pacific Coliseum. GM Place sounds much better and it's a bigger venue.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,224 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

Avril Lavigne is still playing concerts?

I haven't been to a concert in the SOFA quite yet. Either the bands that come here aren't my thing or tickets sell out faster than I could ever get my hands on them.

Almost every concert that is "sold out" has more tickets released a few days before the show in some cases (tickets held by the performer for sponsors, friends, trade etc.), and I'd say 99% of the time once the stage has arrived there is another few hundred tix up for grabs. You just have to keep checking by phone with Select Your Tickets.

Also of note, more artists are stopping or slowing high-level scalping by not releasing (although they have been sold), say, the first tens rows of tickets until show day. So you can get lucky and get a front row ticket, and know you have it months in advance, but they won't give it to you until show day. Seems fair to me.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

We've hit the big-time. Back Street Boys and Girlicious are coming this September.

Girlicious:

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

Surely the apocalypse can't be far off.

#14 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

I heard a rumour that Led Zeppelin is going to play a show in the Inner Harbour on a giant raft thingy.

#15 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

Well that rumour is mostly true. but it will be the local symphony orchestra, not led zep. August third - "splash" - the annual concert from their barge.

But I hear there are lots of other acts playing on the leg. lawn this summer too.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 18,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

But I hear there are lots of other acts playing on the leg. lawn this summer too.

http://www.bcfestival150.ca/

The main stage concert's musical lineup includes longtime BC residents Sarah McLachlan, Burton Cummings and Colin James. Also appearing will be the legendary Dal Richards with special guest Jim Byrnes. The entire event will take place on the Legislature Lawn with Victoria's inner harbor as the backdrop.

#17 martini

martini
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

I wanted to go to Prism. :(

I've been to see Matthew Good at SOF, Legends and McPherson.
Avril Lavigne (my daughter's a huge fan)
Def Leppard

Have tix for:
Matthew Good...again. :D June 27th Curling Club
My son is going to Judas Priest SOF July
Jonny Lang Aug 11th Royal Theatre
The Black Crowes Sept. 3rd Royal Theatre

#18 Zombie T

Zombie T
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

BLACK FRANCIS
Tuesday August 5, 2008
Sugar Nightclub

http://www.atomiquep...om/concerts.php

#19 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

Dear Guests,

Every time I look to see Who's Online, there are a bunch of you looking at this thread. Welcome to Vibrant Victoria! Please take the time to sign up and create an avatar, and then dive into the discussions. Believe me, there are far more interesting and important things going on in this city than rehashing (so to speak) old Prism and Def Leppard concerts.

Jacques

#20 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:57 AM

Dear Guests,

Every time I look to see Who's Online, there are a bunch of you looking at this thread. Welcome to Vibrant Victoria! Please take the time to sign up and create an avatar, and then dive into the discussions. Believe me, there are far more interesting and important things going on in this city than rehashing (so to speak) old Prism and Def Leppard concerts.

Jacques

Yeah, but Led Zeppelin is going to play the Inner Harbour.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users