Movie theatres & movie filming in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

^Well, it's not that premium. We get AMC but not HBO or Moviechannel or those upper tier channels. But yeah, I'm sure it's a heavily torrented series. Walking Dead would be great on the big screen-- two hundred people screaming, "Herschel! Look out behind you!"
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

^Well, it's not that premium. We get AMC but not HBO or Moviechannel or those upper tier channels. But yeah, I'm sure it's a heavily torrented series. Walking Dead would be great on the big screen-- two hundred people screaming, "Herschel! Look out behind you!"

I believe that AMC was bundled with HBO in my package.

#43 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

The reason I'm going is that its a chance to turn something otherwise mundane into an event, and to share the experience with a group of like-minded fans... which is pretty much the same reason people would go to the bar to watch a hockey game, or to a concert to see a band, or to pretty much anything.

Its an opportunity to be part of a community and to make a memory. Sure, I could stay home and watch on my TV... but I can do that any time and with any show. But now I get to do something different on Sunday, and have a chance to say "Hey, do you remember when we saw Breaking Bad at that theater? Man, wasn't that something?"

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

The reason I'm going is that its a chance to turn something otherwise mundane into an event, and to share the experience with a group of like-minded fans...Sure, I could stay home and watch on my TV... but I can do that any time and with any show.

Besides, I can get the extra large popcorn with real butter, and then load on the extra salt.

#45 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

^Yeah I just love those people at theatres that open and close the popcorn bag and crunch popcorn all through the movie. They never seem to do it during an action scene but when a complex plot dialogue starts they are right in there.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#46 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Looks like a few people showed up. I think that's all a movie theatre can hope for these days

ripped from a friend's facebook page

#47 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Played to a pretty much packed house. Good energy and was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to their plan to show the season/series finale the same way.

#48 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

For what it's worth: My 18-y-o, a huge fan, didn't know about this until I mentioned it to him (too late) last night.

"How did I not hear about this?! I *totally* would have gone!"

So, a word in the ear of the marketing guy or gal: more local social media push. He skims the online TC every day but missed this event.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Why pay $8 a beer in a bar to watch a hockey game you can watch at home for free while drinking $2 beer?

Different strokes for different folks. I'm looking forward to this event.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#50 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hey SOA!!

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Kid Cannabis opens this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhPRnP0Cv4

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

How much of that was shot on the island?

EDIT:  IMDB shows Victoria as the only shooting location. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

e much of that was shot on the island?

Almost all of it.  The producer is the Large family guy.  Consider that Kid Cannabis is hitting the theatres just now, but he has 12 other films in production now.

He's busy.  >  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1143429/

Understand about the film business, only 1 out of 10 films makes money, the rest are losers.  But when you hit it, the big one scores, you might get 100x your money back.   See:  Saw the movie franchise.  

Saw and all its sequels has made $877M worldwide at the box office, on a production budget of just $48M total.  That's a lot of profit.  SOURCE.  The movie makes about 50% of the box office, the theatres take the rest.   So this film set only gets about $435M or so, but they only spent $48M.  That's near 10x the profit, and all of this is before DVD/download sales, that can double that.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Jackhammer is set for a July 1st release.

http://www.imdb.com/...=ttexrv_exrv_tt

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

That's so awesome :) You can clearly see highway 17 in one of those shots. I think I also recognized several other locations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Kid Cannabis opens this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhPRnP0Cv4

It's in very limited release, was not released here.  4 LA theatres had it, not sure where else.

However, early reviews are in, we may have a sleeper hit on our hands:

http://www.rottentom...m/kid_cannabis/

Watch here starting Sunday for some early box office numbers:

http://secure.boxoff...kidcannabis.htm

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

How much of that was shot on the island?

Prominent in film:

Smith's Foundry

Hartland Road weigh scale kiosk

Save On Gas West Saanich

Monty's

Prospect Lake

Roadhouse, West Saanich

Pizza Zone logos, attire 

Recognizable:

Lots of Pat Bay Hwy shots

Klitas ferry (Brentwood/Mill Bay)

Adam Sawatsky as TV reporter

Jack Davis Bldg.

Hudson undergound parking

Can't place this "border crossing":

7y.png

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Could that be one of the checkpoints on DND land?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Could that be one of the checkpoints on DND land?

Could be.  The road beyond the fence is quite long, so I think we are looking at this from inside the secured area, looking out.  Both coming and going has a lift-gate, so it's different than, say, a ferry terminal.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Could be.  The road beyond the fence is quite long, so I think we are looking at this from inside the secured area, looking out.  Both coming and going has a lift-gate, so it's different than, say, a ferry terminal.

Watching it again, it might well be a real border crossing, I think it has lights holding cars back from approaching the kiosk.

Here is an inside Monty's screen-cap, with Ron Perlman (Sons of Anarchy, Hellboy).

1a.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users