485 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

I'm waiting for the day they show "An Inconvenient Truth" at a drive-in :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

I'm waiting for the day they show "An Inconvenient Truth" at a drive-in :P

Seb you are too young to remember the finger bowl. (aka "drive in")

We used to pack our friends into the trunk,(cheaper that way), break out the apple jack, (that was nasty), play pinball at the concession, grab a dog and a coke, hopefully watch at least part of the movie......the last one I remember was "Macabre" ....and hopefully get to at least first base with one's Playmate of the week.

Then tear the window off your car because you forgot to put the speaker back. (that's what the apple jack would do to you) Then it was off for fries and gravy for 20 cents at Paul's.

Another well spent Saturday night in the 55 Ford. Life was much simpler then. :P

Now that's an inconvenient truth.
  • Barrrister likes this

#23 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

Another well spent Saturday night in the 55 Ford.

:eek: I had a boyfriend who owned a 55 Ford.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

You don't think....naaah.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

^ Maybe.....it was a small town then.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Attention all Breaking Bad fans, the Vic Theater is hosting a season premier event on Sunday, August 11th.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hmm, interesting. The show is critically acclaimed, but it has a small following. Wonder what kind of turnout they will get. For perspective, Amazing Race Canada gets 10x the amount of Canadian viewers, Big Bang Theory about 7x.

Last year, the week Breaking Bad opened.

Using US figures and making adjustments for population, we can maybe guess Breaking Bad had 290,000 Canadian viewers, less than 1/2 of the #30 show here.

This is interesting, this is the US top-25 last week:

Those Spanish titles are Mexican-produced soaps.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Small following, you sure? Their Facebook page has 5 million likes, Mad Men has 2.5 million.

The theater will be packed, I can virtually guarantee it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Small following, you sure? Their Facebook page has 5 million likes, Mad Men has 2.5 million.

Well, less than 3 million viewers per show is what I mean. Mad Men is about the same, Sons of Anarchy about 4.5M, Game of Thrones 5.5. Big Bang Theory has broken over 20M viewers at least once.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Breaking Bad's fan base is very passionate. I also think a Walking Dead season premiere screening would be equally popular. I think this is an excellent programming scheme for small independent theatres like the Vic and the Roxy. Hotly anticipated shows with cliffhangers and plot twists are perfect for public theatre.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I've been quite enjoying both Breaking Bad The Walking Dead. Looking forward to the final seasons.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Breaking Bad's fan base is very passionate. I also think a Walking Dead season premiere screening would be equally popular. I think this is an excellent programming scheme for small independent theatres like the Vic and the Roxy. Hotly anticipated shows with cliffhangers and plot twists are perfect for public theatre.

I don't know. What's the advantage over watching at home, other than the time-shift if you don't have it at home? Theatres don't even screen sports (Canucks, Superbowl, UFC) where those events are huge at bars - where entry is mostly free. And those events are the ultimate hotly anticipated shows with cliffhangers and plot twists. People gather at bars to discuss those sports shows in advance often. You won't get that at a theatre.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them well, hope they can pull it off. I just have never heard of anyone paying $10 to watch a show that's also simulcast on free TV. There would have to be significant extras, like a Superbowl event might have a buffet, or great prizing and slinky beer promo girls.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

I don't know. What's the advantage over watching at home, other than the time-shift if you don't have it at home? Theatres don't even screen sports (Canucks, Superbowl, UFC) where those events are huge at bars - where entry is mostly free. And those events are the ultimate hotly anticipated shows with cliffhangers and plot twists. People gather at bars to discuss those sports shows in advance often. You won't get that at a theatre.

You won't get that at a theater because you're not sitting there drunk as a skunk and being served chicken wings by waitresses in skimpy outfits.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them well, hope they can pull it off. I just have never heard of anyone paying $10 to watch a show that's also simulcast on free TV. There would have to be significant extras, like a Superbowl event might have a buffet, or great prizing and slinky beer promo girls.

I would wager that a significant portion of people who watch Breaking Bad watch online and streaming links for tv shows are typically available several hours after they air if not the next day.

Besides, these sorts of events can be fun, sort of like the screenings of Rocky Horror Picture Show in the runup to Halloween. I bet some peeps will dress up like Heisenberg. I know I look sort of like him minus the glasses ;)

Know it all.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

You won't get that at a theater because you're not sitting there drunk as a skunk and being served chicken wings by waitresses in skimpy outfits.

I know, so why pay $20 for you and your date to attend? Watch it at home, order in pizza or break out a $20 bottle of wine. I don't see the value here.

We do have second-run theatre here, but arguably the movies are made for the bigscreen, and the price is cheap compared to on-demand/rental. TV shows aren't made with the effects for the bigscreen and you are comparing $0 vs. $10.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Why pay $8 a beer in a bar to watch a hockey game you can watch at home for free while drinking $2 beer?

Different strokes for different folks. I'm looking forward to this event.

Know it all.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Why pay $8 a beer in a bar to watch a hockey game you can watch at home for free while drinking $2 beer?

All I'm saying is... it's done all over the world, it's extremely common, popular, accepted and enjoyed.

Watching a broadcast TV show in a theatre? Never heard of it.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

You've got to get off the Island more often ;)

Know it all.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

You've got to get off the Island more often ;)

I'll try just one more time here. I agree, this will work, probably is working in LA, New York etc.

But consider that at best, 2,800 people in the CRD are regular watchers of the show here in Victoria*. I think you'll be hard-pressed to get 250 of them into a theatre to pay $10 to watch.

*330k population, 1% of Canada, 280,000 Canadian viewers.

#39 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

If I recall, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are on AMC which is a premium channel in Canada. My guess is that many people watch it online via torrents and don't get picked up in the ratings.

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

One of my favourite new tv shows Vegas, is gone already. But I look forward to seeing The Americans return.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users