• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

The article didn't say that, it said:

"...which is mostly covered through in-kind donations and volunteer labour, as well as government support."

No percentage was indicated.

Where did you get your information that "most funding" was from the government?

I dunno.  When you call it a $300,000 event, are they adding up what all the volunteers, and police would cost if they were paid?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

I dunno. When you call it a $300,000 event, are they adding up what all the volunteers, and police would cost if they were paid?

I dunno either. The point is, if you say the gov't paid for much of it, you should have some numbers to back it up instead of just presuming. Sure, there might be a gov't grant or two at play, but those could be relatively small for all we know.

#43 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Here's an article about the Splash from 2006, that indicates some of the cost breakdown at the time:

http://www.canada.co...fdd9b8&sponsor=

Quote:

"About $200,000 is paid out in staging the Symphony Splash, and that doesn't include the efforts of 250 volunteers plus in-kind donations. Government funding and sponsors cover only some of the cost.

Cash from local sponsors adds up to $104,000. The Symphony Splash receives a $40,000 grant from the province. The City of Victoria provides a $4,500 grant -- paltry considering the Splash is one of this town's defining events. By comparison, the city allocated $50,000 this year to the International Arts Symposium happening next month. And the City of Victoria charged the orchestra for municipal tents it rented."

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

^ Ah, very good.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Lack of cash likely has a lot to do with declining donations. This is where a phone app connected to PayPal would work well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Lack of cash likely has a lot to do with declining donations. This is where a phone app connected to PayPal would work well.

That and the fact that people in this region are terribly cheap. If they think an event is free they are loathe to even cough up a pittance to attend. If the Splash charged even a meager $5/head (and its entertainment value far exceeds that IMO) I can guarantee you attendance would plummet. 

• jonny likes this

#47 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

That and the fact that people in this region are terribly cheap. If they think an event is free they are loathe to even cough up a pittance to attend. If the Splash charged even a meager $5/head (and its entertainment value far exceeds that IMO) I can guarantee you attendance would plummet. 

^ This.

Greater Victoria residents are notoriously cheap.

• Nparker likes this

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

So why doesn't every other municipality pony up some cash? Are we to believe that 50% of Victoria's population attends this event and not a soul from Oak Bay, Saanich or Esquimalt dares to venture downtown on that evening?

If our mayor and council had some moxy they'd be yelling loud and clear how ridiculous it is that the City of Victoria must put on these events and visitors from other regions won't so much as drop $5 in the bucket to help offset the cost of this thing and to support the orchestra.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

^ The solution is not to tax everybody in View Royal.  It's to make it at least partial user-pay in some fashion.  $10-15 for good seats, free for lousy seats.  Sell seating blocks to business.  Simple.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

No way. If the City of Victoria tax payer gets taxed for this, tax everyone else or make non-CoV residents pay to enter a fenced off area.

Drive home the point that this stuff ain't free and someone has to pay for it.

Know it all.

#51 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Don't forget that it's pretty beneficial to Victoria when Saanich or Langford residents come into town and buy stuff which benefits Victoria businesses who pay all kinds of taxes and fees to the City of Victoria.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Have you ever seen the flow of vehicles OUT of town after these events? It's like a mass exodus that would put Moses and his posse to shame.

These people arrive with food in plastic bags then high tail it back to lalaland after the event.The City of Victoria residents who "walk" to the event will stick around to then dine or catch a drink as they walk back to their home.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Don't forget that it's pretty beneficial to Victoria when Saanich or Langford residents come into town and buy stuff which benefits Victoria businesses who pay all kinds of taxes and fees to the City of Victoria.

Yup.  And Mike, the City only pays $4,500.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Have you ever seen the flow of vehicles OUT of town after these events? It's like a mass exodus that would put Moses and his posse to shame.

These people arrive with food in plastic bags then high tail it back to lalaland after the event.The City of Victoria residents who "walk" to the event will stick around to then dine or catch a drink as they walk back to their home.

Ya, 9/10 of them take off, but you know that lots come early and have tea at the Empress or whatever.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yeah but that's not all of it, $4,500 + clean up costs + policing + staging + residual costs. I wouldn't doubt it if the City of Victoria tax payers were on the hook for $25,000 at least.

Know it all.

#56 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Ya, 9/10 of them take off, but you know that lots come early and have tea at the Empress or whatever.

I'd bet lots buy a beer, coffee, lunch or ice cream somewhere.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

The Steamship thingy sold out all their patio seats at $125 per head.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Oh I have no doubt some will spend some money, but we're not talking about a $500,000 infusion into the Victoria economy here. The darned thing costs nearly 1/3 of a million dollars to put on.

Remember when Splash was nearly canceled two or three years ago until Bayview stepped up at the last minute as the official sponsor and saved it? Not a single other municipality said, "hey, Victoria, you know what, our residents no doubt love this event. We'll give you $2,500. Multiply that by 12 municipalities and you've got $30,000 to ensure this event takes place."

Lame.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

The vast majority of Victorians do not go to the event.  I'm happy that they don't have to pay for it.  Those that go should pay.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

The vast majority of Victoria's don't go, that's right, but we still put $4,500 towards it plus untold other monies to police, prepare for and clean up after the event.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users