Photo

Victoria Symphony Splash

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#121 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

CHEK's livestream broadcast is very good.  Multiple cameras, including a drone, and live cuts between them.   :thumbsup:

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#122 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

~670 people watching right now.

Multiple cameras, including a drone

Is the pilot licensed? Have they filed a flightplan?

Wow, that's a rambunctious crowd!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#123 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Here comes the piano phenom...

• sebberry likes this

#124 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Drone footage isn't live.  I guess they only had a short window to fly it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#125 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Here comes the piano phenom...

He's excellent.

#126 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

Too bad he got shortchanged on the camera coverage - you want to see those fingers man.  You could see them trying to position cameras as he was playing.

• sebberry likes this

#127 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Untitled.png

• sebberry likes this

#128 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

Here come the fireworks...

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

Here come the fireworks...

Now I hear and see them.

#130 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

While shorter than the others, I have always found the Symphony Splash fireworks the best.

• Nparker likes this

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

While shorter than the others, I have always found the Symphony Splash fireworks the best.

They will be truly amazing when viewed from the rooftop of Hudson Place 1 for the 30th Anniversary* of the first Symphony Splash in 2020  :)

*I realize this was year was the 28th "splash", but it was 27 years ago (1990) when the annual event began, therefore it will be 30 years (31st splash) in 2020

#132 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

Or from high up on Promontory

https://www.instagra.../p/BXet9-Sjdhg/

• Nparker likes this

#133 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

That sure is a large crowd. I wonder what the tourists must think when they come to visit Victoria not knowing that there is going to be this giant musical extravaganza taking place? They must think we are party animals.

#134 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

They need some new material. That Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture scares the seagulls and gets all the dogs barking.

#135 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

Scaring the seagulls is a feature, not a bug.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Bingo and 1 other like this

#136 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

Hm....well I went to the Symphony Splash for the first time ever (actually I was volun-told by Mrs ASE that I was going or else, the price I paid for staying out all night the previous night on a 40th Mt Doug HS reunion).

To be honest I wasn't terribly impressed by the "vibe", the crowd (which perhaps in typical Victoria fashion was very subdued and probably the quietest crowd of 40,000 people I've ever experienced), and certainly not the fireworks which frankly were pretty lame. Bar none the Saturday night Butchart Gardens FW show is hands down the best this region has to offer and it isn't even close. Clearly SS is for hard core fans of classical orchestral music which is perfectly fine and I freely admit I am not among them. The most interesting aspect to the entire proceeding for me was the drone (I presume it was CHEK TV's unit) that clearly baffled a lone seagull which time and again dive bombed it trying to figure out what the interloper in its space was...

So while I kept the Mrs happy and while I really did want to enjoy the experience suffice to say I don't think I need to see the SS again.

• rjag, jonny and lanforod like this

#137 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:14 AM

Hm....well I went to the Symphony Splash for the first time ever (actually I was volun-told by Mrs ASE that I was going or else, the price I paid for staying out all night the previous night on a 40th Mt Doug HS reunion).

Hows the head? Agreed, we took the kids when they were little years ago to the Splash, prob went 3 times...havent been in years, usually because we are out of town but its pretty stale now. For the life of me, I cant figure out how those poor schmucks in the Kayaks can sit like that all night....

#138 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:53 AM

Head was good thanks Rich....getting old so I limited out at 2 beers at our motel 'open house' beforehand (@Paul's Motor Inn no less - we dd it up classy this year!), and maybe 4 drinks all night long at the RVYC bar.

Re: Splash I really did want to get into it more but overall the experience was just "meh". There was no crowd buzz at all; and considering the hassle of parking then getting out of the downtown afterward, the fact the porta-potties appear to be restricted to Confederation Park making the situation, um, potentially desperate depending how long of a walk they are from your vantage point - and the lineups once you get there - the only average quality of the vendor food (terrible hot dogs), once you've been once you_really have to be a fan of symphonic music IMO to want go back again (and again, and again as some folks do). 

#139 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

The acoustics are bad, as well. 

#140 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

It's disappointing to hear the SS would appeal mainly to classical fans as the whole point of the event is to get regular people interested in symphonic music and maybe they'll even attend an event (or heaven be praised) buy seasons tickets. It's like the Moss St. Paint In. It's a fundraiser and awareness-raiser for the AGGV but the thousands of attendees are simply not translating into patrons. 

They are a victim of their successes and these institutions have become dependent on the coins they attract, even if the cultural elites look down on the Splash/Paint-In as kind of lowbrow events walled off from the "real" programming going on.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users