Cityzen Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 613 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Cityzen Residences is a six-storey, 32 unit condo with ground floor commercial space on Herald Street near Gov... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cityzen Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Cityzen Residences (613 Herald Street) | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Excavation

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:33 AM

The balconies are metal slats. When viewed from an angle (like in the rendering) they give privacy to the suites.

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

Are those plant pots an integral part of the design? Cuz they are a bad idea.

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hmm, hard to say from just one comparison, but I like the first one better. It has more integrity, somehow. The second one doesn't cohere nearly as well, imo.

Any reasons given for the changes?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:40 AM

I really like the glass block (if that's indeed what it is).

If it were up to me, I'd push that glass block out to the line of the guardrail and return it back into the building. That would more emphasize the feature, as well as adding some floorspace to the suite.

#45 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

^ Agree. The glass block comes into play much more as a design element in the first rendering, too. In the newest one, it plays second fiddle to some pretty big balcony guard rails.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#46 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

At first glance I had the same impression, but after taking a walk down past the site I started to like the idea of the bolder red. The metal slats pick up some design elements from the neighbourhood, and actually the building gives a kind of a neat tribute to both Chinatown and the Design District. The street has some beautiful features, but they fight with a drabness that somehow manages to prevail, walking past there I felt like it needed something very punchy to make it work. (Painting the pink building next door would help a lot) The new balconies look bigger than the old ones, which will be a nice feature, even though they face north. I do agree that somehow the glass blocks seem less interesting in the new design though.

Overall I think the new design is growing on me.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#47 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:06 AM

the project will be on the agenda for a joint Heritage / Design meeting at noon on October 8th [at City Hall].

It will be interesting to see how this new hybrid panel judges this design and the way it fits into Chinatown. The public can observe this meeting.

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

More design changes have been made.

The main North Facade has been re-designed to create more emphasis on the vertical termination of the facade and to reduce the horizontal emphasis of the second and third storeys. The dimension of the fascias which form the roof line has been increased and the additional layer of sheet metal flashing creates a second shadow line. The visual dominance of the second and third storey 'frame' has been softened by disengaging the railings from the frame and by changing the colour from red to a dark charcoal grey. All railings on the main facade are now black painted steel pickets, with a finer scaling and more visual transparency.

On the East and West Facade, the masonry walls will be a charcoal-tinted concrete masonry unit with regular (non-tinted) CMU soldier coursing at the floor levels. The joints will be raked to emphasize the brick-like pattern of the CMUs, as discussed in the previous meeting. The client is arranging permission to plant ivy on adjacent properties for the exposed walls, both East and West facing, (as shown on the updated Landscape Concept Plan L1). A grid of metal pegs built into the side walls will serve as a structure to shape the ivy on the walls; the ivy will be clipped to rectangular shapes as shown on the revised elevations. The more rigid geometric shaping will reduce maintenance issues at the roof flashing as well as impart a more architectural expression to the ivy covered walls.

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

This goes to CotW for Development Permit Approval on Thursday.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

I am told CotW passed this on to a public hearing to be held soon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

Article in the paper today on this that gives me hope for this council. They allowed the developer to reduce the parking requirement to 9 spaces because the developer will be provided a communal electric car. This essentially allows developers to use this as precendent and pulls us below the previous 66% parking requirement downtown to a more reasonable 33%

#52 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Article in the paper today on this that gives me hope for this council. They allowed the developer to reduce the parking requirement to 9 spaces because the developer will be provided a communal electric car. This essentially allows developers to use this as precendent and pulls us below the previous 66% parking requirement downtown to a more reasonable 33%

Great news! even better that the parking allowance has been provided.
Yah Victoria!

#53 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

That is good news, and yeah this council has done some good things so far.
:)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

But I wonder how many Councillors noticed that the DRA letter the Planning Department included in the Councillor's package was not the 613 Herald letter but the letter we submitted for 601 Herald (aka 1728 Government). I guess it didn't matter in the end because the DRA didn't have a problem with either building. 613 Herald also met with the approval of the various committees and the Planning Department so seeing it passed to Public Hearing by Committee of the Whole wasn't a big surprise.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

This project is approved, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Vic life

Vic life
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

I just hope they can keep that cool 7-UP painting. Maybe as the wall/backdrop for some ones patio!

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

I just hope they can keep that cool 7-UP painting. Maybe as the wall/backdrop for some ones patio!

You're thinking of the development next door not this one, and no, the courtyard opens up just to the left of the sign. There's a photo of the model on the project's website.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

The project covering up the 7-up sign is 601 Herald.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

Any updated on this project?

Know it all.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

This project has now been rebranded "Kunju" and sales are starting.

More info at www.kunju.ca

Is the building to the right of Kunju supposed to be 601 Herald, or are we seeing at a different proposal?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users