Latest VV Article

Victoria’s late-night scene goes country with The Duke Saloon

“We’re not a nightclub. We’re not a club at all. We’re a saloon, and we are welcoming to absolutely everybody.”

The Duke Saloon, summed up by owner Joel Friesen, opens Friday, August 22 in the former Rehab Nightclub space on Discovery Street at Store Street.. [Read more]

Photo

Hot Cars of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#1 jdsony

jdsony
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

I've been curious about this since last summer. Who are the rich people associated with the expensive cars in town? I have an idea but I don't know who is associated with what car. They are obviously some of the big BEAR Mountain players and are probably identifiable.

Lamborghini Murcielago - Len Barrie?
Ford GT40
Aston Martin DB9
Ferrari Dino
Other Ferrari's.

#2 Dylan Leblanc

Dylan Leblanc
  • Administrator
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hey yeah whos spending the big bucks???

I wish there were more pimped out American cars around town. I am getting sick and tired of seeing so many of those Asian ricer cars with their fart pipes. Get a real car you lameos! Actually this morning I saw a black early 70s Cadillac de Ville mini limo parked on Kings. Thats a nice car!

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

There are a few Ferrari owners on the peninsula, yes? At least one Ferrari out there is owned by a family that represents another order of wealth altogether from the Bear Mountain crowd, I'm pretty sure.

I saw an Aston Martin just a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember where I saw it. It was parked in a rather unlikely location, I seem to remember.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Here's a nice picture:

Picture by roham_sh at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...ham/1246908556/

#5 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

I'm afraid Peter Willie probably owns the nicest stable of cars on the island, not that I like the guy, but he keeps collecting all the gems in town. Ferrari's and Aston Martin's I can see them every day in Vancouver, but classic gems, not so much.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

Another pic (the corner of Fort Street resembles a ghost town for some reason):

Picture by Jaypeg21 at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...nzo/2469546617/

#7 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

I want a McLaren SLR myself. Have not seen any of those in Victoria.

#8 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 2,393 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hey yeah whos spending the big bucks???

I wish there were more pimped out American cars around town. I am getting sick and tired of seeing so many of those Asian ricer cars with their fart pipes. Get a real car you lameos! Actually this morning I saw a black early 70s Cadillac de Ville mini limo parked on Kings. Thats a nice car!

Bah the Asian & European cars are so much more refined than American ones. For an American car to be done well it would have to look like a silly cartoon, with a giant slicks & a giant motor sticking through the hood that sounds like it could explode any second. I think that's the only way I'd want one anyway. There was a time when I thought a restored Boss 302 or Boss 429 would have been pretty cool (well I sort of still do...) but I think I've changed my mind since. About a month ago I saw a newish Roll-Royce limo downtown; now whoever gets chauffered in that would have some serious cash. Probably a lot more than people who like to show off their Ferraris, Porches, etc. As for what I'd get if I could have any car I think I'll keep that to myself; I wouldn't want anyone to steal my idea ;)

#9 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

The late Trev Deeley, Harley-Davidson distributor, had a metallic blue Bentley Turbo convertible. Talked to him one day and he said it was the best car he'd ever had, 155mph top, total luxury (wool, walnut & leather, no plastic, folks) and about 600 ft/lbs of torque... all for just 429 grand. The Lincoln parked behind it looked small and cheezy.

#10 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 2,393 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

The late Trev Deeley, Harley-Davidson distributor, had a metallic blue Bentley Turbo convertible. Talked to him one day and he said it was the best car he'd ever had, 155mph top, total luxury (wool, walnut & leather, no plastic, folks) and about 600 ft/lbs of torque... all for just 429 grand.

I can believe it. A Bentley is about the size of a Hummer (well not really) but they easily do 0-100 kph in less than 6 seconds. Everything about them is awesomely obscene & excessive. The power, the weight, the finishes, etc etc. They don't cut corners with anything.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCRD

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:16 AM

I can believe it. A Bentley is about the size of a Hummer (well not really) but they easily do 0-100 kph in less than 6 seconds. Everything about them is awesomely obscene & excessive. The power, the weight, the finishes, etc etc. They don't cut corners with anything.

Nice, but this is nicer

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 10,387 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:25 AM

Wow but are there any here?

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 2,393 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

question: who is a "tinkerer" who wants to tweak a car until it's "just right" & who would get a kickass "stock" car? Imho there are some cars that are perfect just the way they are & shouldn't be messed with. I can see myself getting a kickass kit car & putting it together so I can feel like Henry Ford would have when #1 rolled off the assembly line, but I doubt that I'd find tweaking it afterwards very interesting.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I saw these cars on a convoy today. Pretty cool:

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

I'll buy a donut for the first person who gets a pic of a Lamborghini. I've only seen a couple of them on the streets of Victoria in my life. Most recently I saw one parked on Johnson Street beside Market Square. That was a couple of years ago.

#16 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

I saw a lamborghini parked right near the front of Hugo's pub on two separate nights awhile ago. I just figured one of the Courtnall brothers probably owned it. The most amazing thing was, what little attention it got from bar-goers. I figured a crowd would develop around this car in no time since the car is about three feet high but it never really happened.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

Waiting to board the ferry:
(picture from http://jacksthoughtr...ing-summer-2007)

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 18,621 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

Last week I saw a new Bentley cruising around town with BC plates.

Btw, is that Denise Savoie in the bottom-right corner of that photo?

Skyscraper Source Media Inc.

July 15, 2014: [Mayor] Fortin told C-FAX's Bruce Williams that he expects the [Johnson Street Bridge] project to be completed "on time and on budget."

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 10,387 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

^ Too funny I think it is!

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 18,621 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

I didn't realize Denise was into power boats.

Skyscraper Source Media Inc.

July 15, 2014: [Mayor] Fortin told C-FAX's Bruce Williams that he expects the [Johnson Street Bridge] project to be completed "on time and on budget."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users