Latest VV Article

Condo Review: Union

Vancouver-based Anthem Properties has made its Victoria development debut with the Union, a two building lowrise condo project between the 500-blocks of Pandora Avenue and Fisgard Street in Old Town’s amenity rich Chinatown district. The Union property, left barren for nearly a decade after the failure of a previous condo development, is a stones throw from the Inner Harbour and literally at the nexus of a rapidly changing and increasingly desirable historic area. [Read more]

Photo

Hot Cars of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#1 jdsony

jdsony
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

I've been curious about this since last summer. Who are the rich people associated with the expensive cars in town? I have an idea but I don't know who is associated with what car. They are obviously some of the big BEAR Mountain players and are probably identifiable.

Lamborghini Murcielago - Len Barrie?
Ford GT40
Aston Martin DB9
Ferrari Dino
Other Ferrari's.

#2 Dylan Leblanc

Dylan Leblanc
  • Administrator
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

Hey yeah whos spending the big bucks???

I wish there were more pimped out American cars around town. I am getting sick and tired of seeing so many of those Asian ricer cars with their fart pipes. Get a real car you lameos! Actually this morning I saw a black early 70s Cadillac de Ville mini limo parked on Kings. Thats a nice car!

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

There are a few Ferrari owners on the peninsula, yes? At least one Ferrari out there is owned by a family that represents another order of wealth altogether from the Bear Mountain crowd, I'm pretty sure.

I saw an Aston Martin just a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember where I saw it. It was parked in a rather unlikely location, I seem to remember.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Here's a nice picture:

Picture by roham_sh at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...ham/1246908556/

#5 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

I'm afraid Peter Willie probably owns the nicest stable of cars on the island, not that I like the guy, but he keeps collecting all the gems in town. Ferrari's and Aston Martin's I can see them every day in Vancouver, but classic gems, not so much.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

Another pic (the corner of Fort Street resembles a ghost town for some reason):

Picture by Jaypeg21 at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...nzo/2469546617/

#7 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

I want a McLaren SLR myself. Have not seen any of those in Victoria.

#8 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 2,280 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Hey yeah whos spending the big bucks???

I wish there were more pimped out American cars around town. I am getting sick and tired of seeing so many of those Asian ricer cars with their fart pipes. Get a real car you lameos! Actually this morning I saw a black early 70s Cadillac de Ville mini limo parked on Kings. Thats a nice car!

Bah the Asian & European cars are so much more refined than American ones. For an American car to be done well it would have to look like a silly cartoon, with a giant slicks & a giant motor sticking through the hood that sounds like it could explode any second. I think that's the only way I'd want one anyway. There was a time when I thought a restored Boss 302 or Boss 429 would have been pretty cool (well I sort of still do...) but I think I've changed my mind since. About a month ago I saw a newish Roll-Royce limo downtown; now whoever gets chauffered in that would have some serious cash. Probably a lot more than people who like to show off their Ferraris, Porches, etc. As for what I'd get if I could have any car I think I'll keep that to myself; I wouldn't want anyone to steal my idea ;)

#9 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

The late Trev Deeley, Harley-Davidson distributor, had a metallic blue Bentley Turbo convertible. Talked to him one day and he said it was the best car he'd ever had, 155mph top, total luxury (wool, walnut & leather, no plastic, folks) and about 600 ft/lbs of torque... all for just 429 grand. The Lincoln parked behind it looked small and cheezy.

#10 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 2,280 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

The late Trev Deeley, Harley-Davidson distributor, had a metallic blue Bentley Turbo convertible. Talked to him one day and he said it was the best car he'd ever had, 155mph top, total luxury (wool, walnut & leather, no plastic, folks) and about 600 ft/lbs of torque... all for just 429 grand.

I can believe it. A Bentley is about the size of a Hummer (well not really) but they easily do 0-100 kph in less than 6 seconds. Everything about them is awesomely obscene & excessive. The power, the weight, the finishes, etc etc. They don't cut corners with anything.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationCRD

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:16 AM

I can believe it. A Bentley is about the size of a Hummer (well not really) but they easily do 0-100 kph in less than 6 seconds. Everything about them is awesomely obscene & excessive. The power, the weight, the finishes, etc etc. They don't cut corners with anything.

Nice, but this is nicer

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 9,869 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:25 AM

Wow but are there any here?

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 2,280 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

question: who is a "tinkerer" who wants to tweak a car until it's "just right" & who would get a kickass "stock" car? Imho there are some cars that are perfect just the way they are & shouldn't be messed with. I can see myself getting a kickass kit car & putting it together so I can feel like Henry Ford would have when #1 rolled off the assembly line, but I doubt that I'd find tweaking it afterwards very interesting.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I saw these cars on a convoy today. Pretty cool:

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

I'll buy a donut for the first person who gets a pic of a Lamborghini. I've only seen a couple of them on the streets of Victoria in my life. Most recently I saw one parked on Johnson Street beside Market Square. That was a couple of years ago.

#16 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

I saw a lamborghini parked right near the front of Hugo's pub on two separate nights awhile ago. I just figured one of the Courtnall brothers probably owned it. The most amazing thing was, what little attention it got from bar-goers. I figured a crowd would develop around this car in no time since the car is about three feet high but it never really happened.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

Waiting to board the ferry:
(picture from http://jacksthoughtr...ing-summer-2007)

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

Last week I saw a new Bentley cruising around town with BC plates.

Btw, is that Denise Savoie in the bottom-right corner of that photo?

Skyscraper Source Media Inc.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 9,869 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

^ Too funny I think it is!

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

I didn't realize Denise was into power boats.

Skyscraper Source Media Inc.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users