Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#301 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

Council has approved the replacement of the tile mosaic with a painted version:

Let's hope it's re-sized to deal with the terrible distortion of the current design

• sebberry likes this

#302 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

The mural is made up of thousands of 10-centimetre-by-10-centimetre ceramic tiles. The idea is to remove the tiles and paint in the mural using a 10 cm grid. The paint colours have been selected using the tiles in the existing mural. Wain said the plan “will result in minimal differences from how the mural is viewed in its current form.” - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.IKhlOMl5.dpuf

I love how moronic this is.

The mural was constrained by the limits of the tiles: the limited colour palette and the size and expense of the tiles, which caused the overall image to be smaller than what would have been ideal

Now council's ham-fisted approach will guarantee those limitations are permanent when the mural could have easily been improved.

It's like ordering a steak in a restaurant and the chef burns it and on the way to your table the waiter drops it so he apologizes and says he'll fix it good as new and gets the cook to make a new burnt steak.

This is exactly like the story behind the rebuilding of the Nellie McClung branch library in Saanich a few years ago that had been destroyed by fire. The insurance company mandated it be built exactly like the original. So they did, including putting in ductwork that clumsily snaked around beams like in the old retrofitted building instead of doing the logical thing you'd see in new construction, which would be integrating the HVAC into the structure.

This is a classic example of City Hall bureaucracy: they mean well and they work hard to fix things but the end result is a complete cock-up.

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 January 2016 - 09:40 AM.

• Baro, gumgum, Nparker and 3 others like this

#303 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Let's hope it's re-sized to deal with the terrible distortion of the current design

Of course it won't be.  I don't know how it was ever approved in the first place.

EDIT:  Here's the council meeting on the problem: http://victoria.ca.g...d=2&clip_id=651

Starts around the 55 minute mark, agenda item #8

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#304 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

Madoff actually made sense to me for once, that tiling could be done properly as on Mosaic years ago.

#305 CFO

CFO
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

We are staying in Wave for 1 month, whats the status, the "temporary" tarp is still there!?

• Mike K. likes this

#306 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

The tarp fell off a few months back during the windstorms but it's been put back up.

#307 CFO

CFO
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

The tarp fell off a few months back during the windstorms but it's been put back up.

Thanks, Rob, so still no progress to do the city's approved painting . . .

#308 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

...so still no progress to do the city's approved painting . . .

Pam is still mulling it over.

#309 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:25 AM

Could we replace the mosaic with a huge photo of the sooke hills?

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#310 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:36 AM

That would be risky. If another building goes up next door then the view of the picture of the Sooke hills would be blocked.

#311 Guitarpj

Guitarpj
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys, I've been looking to buy in the Wave for a little while and just wondering how the building is in general. Is it a good quality build? (other than the mosaic obviously).

Thanks

#312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi,

Something to consider, of course, is It's 11-years-old now, and it's virtually boxed in between an existing building to the south, a building currently under construction to the west and two upcoming towers to the north (in the parking lot across Yates Street). There are limited units facing east. Not that any of those issues are of concern, but something to consider before buying especially if views are a nice-have.

I think jklymak on here is an owner of a unit. He'll have more info for you when he comes around, I'm sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#313 Guitarpj

Guitarpj
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

I viewed the suite today. It's a 2 bedroom that faces east and west (it spans the whole width of the building). Beautiful unit, good layout. I did notice some water damage on the inside of the windows on the east side. I also noticed some water staining on the drywall above the kitchen (on the wall), so I'm guessing there was a leak at some point.

Anyone on here know if this is a common issue? Is this happened in other units?

Thanks

#314 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

^What do the minutes say about it?

#315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

Rob Randall, on 27 Jun 2017 - 5:18 PM, said:

Then DHK merely grabbed the ball at the one yard line and carried it in...

Someone needs to be held accountable not just for that horrible mural but also the atrocious ground floor. The enormous set-backs and bargain basement finishes are a blemish to the entire block. I am hopeful Yello does a better job.

Edited by Nparker, 27 June 2017 - 06:07 PM.

• 2F2R likes this

#316 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

I noticed on Friday that work has finally begun on removing the tiles from the eastern facade of the Wave. Has it been confirmed that the bizarrely stretched image will be replicated in paint? I still fail to see how this distorted mosaic was ever a "public" amenity.

#317 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Has it been confirmed that the bizarrely stretched image will be replicated in paint?

If that happens I am giving up. There is no hope for humanity and I will become a monk in Tibet.
  • Nparker likes this

#318 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

55CEADC7-829D-479E-937A-BC03BBF55482.jpeg

The mural has been removed...

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

So this begs the question, did the strata pay back the taxpayer (City of Victoria) for removing an amenity used to help justify the approval of a height relaxation to 13-storeys? Or is that something the developer must pay back?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#320 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

I think the agreement calls for it to be replaced with a painted mural of the same image.

I believe that the strata (rather than the developer) is paying these costs...

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users