Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1012 Yates | 7 storeys | Canceled in 2007

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

This was the site of the old Coit Cleaners in the 1000 block Yates.

Architect Herb Kwan drew up plans for a 29 unit condo building with ground floor retail. Excavation began a couple of years ago but halted soon after. The property has been on the market ever since. This site shows an asking price of $1.75 million for the lot but Colliers (.pdf) had it for $1.64 million at one point before marking it down to $990,000.

Unfortunately, a commercial building was demolished and we are left with another unsightly hole in Downtown. I hope this project is resurrected soon.

#2 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

^ Is this the property E. of Moxie's and the high-end plumbing place?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

Yes it is. See the photos in the first link.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

Strangely enough there was action on this site with new fence up and some sort of plastic on the site.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

^ I noticed a week or two ago the fence was broken, like someone had busted through. Guess they just had to replace it for safety reasons.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

...like someone had busted through...

Or maybe like something had busted...out??

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

http://maps.google.c...=12,320.35,,0,0

For a second I thought I spotted activity here, but maybe no.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for posting the photo VHF. There is equipment on site. Does that mean action is imminent?

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Yeah they have been moving dirt around for the last couple of weeks it seems. Not sure if anything is approved for building though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Dirt has moved around on that site several times in the past. An excavator even sat on the property for what seemed like an entire year.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

A dump truck has struck a utility pole outside this property as crews work to fill the excavated lot. It can be seen listing quite a bit, although it is stabilized. Crews are expected on-scene soon to determine the next course of action, however, dump trucks continue coming and going for the time-being.

The property is now owned by the City of Victoria following a recent purchase from a private land owner.

Photos on VV's Facebook page: https://m.facebook.c...id=182655059361

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

Why would the City spend a million dollars on a troubled vacant lot? It seems more likely it was forfeited for non-payment of taxes. It's a great site with lots of potential.

• Nparker likes this

#13 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

Why would the City spend a million dollars on a troubled vacant lot? It seems more likely it was forfeited for non-payment of taxes. It's a great site with lots of potential.

Forfeited for non-payment of taxes would mean it went to tax auction (that is my understanding at least)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users