Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#1721 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:32 AM

Ok... How about a two story floating building that is round reflecting the space around it and making subtle reference to the round house nearby. tuck it into the round space that is begging for it. Green roof so it blends in and the views are not of a roof. The first story at the path level so the cafe/club/restaurant relates to the walkway and welcomes people in. Lower story the paddle vessel centre and marina facilities like showers bathrooms. Secure boat storage, rentals, shop. Kayak dock with staging area and kayak launches. Room to stage in the water as well. A larger short term docking zone closer to the shore that is parallel. This displays the visiting boats to the public. The mega yacht storage area is at the back (so the impact of staring at the same boat asses every day is minimized). 

DS24gpF.jpg

• tedward, jeffifah and Dr. Barillas like this

#1722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:47 AM

Nice job, actually.

But I think you'd find people up on arms that the boats are too close to the walkway and therefore block views. The proponents of this marina have done a good job addressing a myriad of concerns, and I think we're far better off with them building what has been approved then seeing this proposal fall through and someone building something far less attentive to community expectations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1723 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

Nice job, actually.

But I think you'd find people up on arms that the boats are too close to the walkway and therefore block views. The proponents of this marina have done a good job addressing a myriad of concerns, and I think we're far better off with them building what has been approved then seeing this proposal fall through and someone building something far less attentive to community expectations.

boats in my concept are further from the walkway and less dense than the existing proposal :-)

#1724 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:07 AM

That's a good proposal. Takes up more water space though, which could be an issue. Nothing is going to change anyways, this thing is well under construction, right, and is just going to be floated over? Similar to the new Harbour Air terminal?

#1725 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

Dasmo if I knew how to do the clapping guy emoticon I would. Nice! I agree that would be way better. Consider me sold on your theoretical proposal. Too bad that's not what's being proposed.

#1726 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

boats in my concept are further from the walkway and less dense than the existing proposal :-)

What I mean is your proposal has the biggest boats parallel with the walkway and that will completely obscure views (and there's far too much empty space along the dock parallel with the shore in your rendering, more vessels will need to dock along the shore to make it viable). The real proposal has smaller boats perpendicular with the shore, meaning pedestrians will look over them, for starters (several meters above sea level), and there will be gaps between boats especially when not all boats are docked. From a pedestrian perspective the latter is what the community preferred, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1727 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

...from a billionaire perspective all of VicWest would probably be considered lower class...

I nominate this for the "Greatest Understatement of All Time" award.

• Nparker likes this

#1728 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

I'm not going to defend my 20 min concept... I consider it a win since it got me an attaboy from you already :-)
  • Matt R. likes this

#1729 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

That's a good proposal. Takes up more water space though, which could be an issue. Nothing is going to change anyways, this thing is well under construction, right, and is just going to be floated over? Similar to the new Harbour Air terminal?

Same water space. Outside ring is same with a bit shorter end actually. AHK I can't help myself!

Edited by dasmo, 03 December 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#1730 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Oh for sure, and I don't mean that as a criticism of your design, it's quite good. But the community specifically did not want the big boats parallel with the walkway.

What it all boils down to is the developer made considerable adjustments and made considerable effort to work with the community on the design. What we have is pretty darned good.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1731 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Back at the beginning of this marina saga (the new marina concept, not the original concepts from 25+ years ago) there were a lot of complaints about a marina blocking views of the water. If those complainants are still around, methinks they would be even more upset about a floating building occupying the semi-circle like that.

I think it looks pretty good. Being situated so close to the walkway (presumably with windows facing back onto the walkway) it almost creates the impression of a cozy pedestrian streetscape*, which would be a nice challenge to the "suburban campus" format of the older Songhees buildings.

*Edit: heck, we could say it honours the original vision for a California-style waterfront village.

Edited by aastra, 03 December 2015 - 10:51 AM.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#1732 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

Victoria-International-Marina-rendering-December-2015a---c.jpg

Victoria-International-Marina-rendering-December-2015b.jpg

Choppy waters still ahead for luxury marina proposal in Vic West

http://victoria.citi...al-in-vic-west/

City of Victoria councillors stopped short of supporting the latest design for the Victoria International Marina, planned as an Inner Harbour luxury yacht mooring centre along a piece of shoreline at the end of Cooperage Place in Vic West's Songhees community, pending additional information from City Staff and a request for the developer to address several community concerns.

Developer Robert G. Evans, who brought the project forward in 2008 following a successful lawsuit against the City of Victoria after politicians reneged on formerly approved plans to build a marina at the site, remains at the helm of the proposal although the project itself has been taken over by Vancouver-based Community Marine Concepts. The latest design is now in the hands of Victoria-based de Hoog Kierulf Architects. [Full article]

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1733 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

De Hoog Keirulf are the clean-up hitters of architecture. 

I would like it more if it had a green roof. The wave motif is a little too on the nose. 

#1734 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

I would like it more if it had a green roof.

Green roofs are to the 20-teens what faux copper roofs were to the 1990s. They'll be passé soon enough.

#1735 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

Once again the city dragging their heels on a great opportunity. When they aren't borrowing insane sums of cash they are doing everything they can to frustrate developers
  • Nparker likes this

#1736 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Choppy waters still ahead for luxury marina proposal in Vic West

http://victoria.citi...al-in-vic-west/

Council also expressed reservations regarding the size and placement of a mandatory hydro substation and voiced preference for an alternative approach to the one proposed.

What's the hydro substation plan?

#1737 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

A little Nanaimo mall right in our harbour! 

• Nparker likes this

#1738 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Kayak launching isn't even considered in this design... They would come down the ramp and whack the person drinking coffee in the head...

Please, someone design this thing at least. Don't just get the intern to bang out something in Sketchup. Visit the site, hang out there for a few days. Get a feel for it. please!!!! 

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#1739 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Interesting that the condo is still resisting, re the parking.   Some lawyers gonna make some money.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, it may indeed come down to another legal fight regarding the parking situation.

The substation is planned adjacent to the walkway. It's not pretty, but it's mandatory and must be accessible, protected, etc. They'll figure something out.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users