gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:28 PM

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

^ Wow that is one old photo! Must be at least 10 - 15 years old.

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

Letters in the TC.

#44 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

NIMBYs want the harbour as a private reflecting pool
Times Colonist
Published: Friday, May 09, 2008
I read with interest your article on the proposed marina at Songhees (May 7). It is interesting to see that the NIMBYs are still trying to make Victoria's Inner Harbour into a private reflecting pool for their waterfront condominiums.

I remember with some regret that day when Royal Quays was nearing completion and I decided not to buy a beautiful ground floor unit for what even then was an excellent price. My reason was that the view would be blocked by the floating buildings that were then planned and approved.

[...]

awesome :cool:
NIMBYs want the harbour to be a calming "water feature" :D has anyone seen the word "eyesore" yet? I don't think I have... yet.

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

^ Wow that is one old photo! Must be at least 10 - 15 years old.

Agreed. It took me a moment to realize just how wrong it looked!

#46 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

http://maps.live.com...97173&encType=1

edit: I don't understand it. The "bird's eye" works sometimes and other times it doesn't, in the same spot.

#47 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

Did you get a look at the old 3D model map that was built in the mid 80s? Man how things have changed.

#48 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

The planned $20-million, 48-berth marina at Songhees would attract larger yachts ranging from 65 to 140 feet long and is designed to offer a permanent place for these larger yachts.

http://www.luxist.co...itish-columbia/

So there won't be space for Paul Allen's 450ft yacht... :P

#49 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone have any links re. the market for this sort of thing? Are there dozens of mega-yachts cruising offshore, just waiting for a chance to dock in Victoria? (Not disputing it, I'd just like more info.) And how big is a mega-yacht? Smaller than the Clipper? Same as?

Asking if there is any demand for this marina is an excellent question. In my experience, no. I have never heard of nor seen even one megayacht turned away due to overcrowding. As well, the city just extended the length of the docks below the Empress as well as adding a bunch of fingers to the docks at Ship's Point. There is plenty of room for big yachts to dock now.

How big is a megayacht you ask? Minimum 120 feet (not 65 feet + as stated in the article).

I also have a hard time imagining where they are going to put that surface parking lot for this marina Aastra.

This picture puzzles me too:

Those fingers look about the same size as any other fingers, so i'd love to know how this marina is going to host so many big yachts.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

I guess the fingers will be for smaller yachts and the edges of the marina for the mega yachts.

As I said earlier, they're creating a new market by offering dock space. Canadians need to leave their yachts somewhere, and either it's in Vancouver where they spend several hours sailing to and from the Pacific, or in Victoria where they're virtually at the end of the straight. I can imagine docking at the docks along the eastern edge of the harbour is either too expensive, not feasible for yachts over longer periods or the city has limits on how long one can dock there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

I guess the fingers will be for smaller yachts and the edges of the marina for the mega yachts.

As I said earlier, they're creating a new market by offering dock space. Canadians need to leave their yachts somewhere, and either it's in Vancouver where they spend several hours sailing to and from the Pacific, or in Victoria where they're virtually at the end of the straight. I can imagine docking at the docks along the eastern edge of the harbour is either too expensive, not feasible for yachts over longer periods or the city has limits on how long one can dock there.

That's what I'm thinking. A Calgarian just as well might want his yacht here as in Vancouver, he can get direct flights to either.

#52 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

If it is just for permanent moorage, is that going to generate much for the local economy? I thought the hope was to have megayachts staging in and out of here for cruises up the inside passage. If it is going to be simply a place to park big yachts, I'm not clear on the benefit to anyone except the person who receives the moorage fees.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

The fact that they're docked here creates jobs at the marina and brings money to the region every time the owner comes to Victoria, regardless of the frequency.

And it costs several thousand dollars to prepare a yacht for a trip and that money will now be pumped into our economy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

Marina idea stinks, in more ways than one
Diesel exhaust and restaurant odours are among the problems it will bring
Don Grovestine, Special to Times Colonist
Published: Thursday, May 15, 2008

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

Letters:
Marina offers opportunities for the Island
Times Colonist

Marina brings life to 'dead zone'
Times Colonist

#56 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

I agree with the letter writers. A Marina there would improve things and solidify the neighborhood as an upscale area. People are not going to put their yachts in some dump, so I know the project will look nice and enhance the neighborhood. There's more fumes from Smart cars driving in the Songhees than from the trolling motors that will be used to get the boats in and out of the slips.

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

The near-shore area is used by hundreds of kayakers and paddlers each day. Who will win in an altercation between a kayak and a 50-foot powerboat?

Good point. And what about the wind tunnel effect? Wait a sec...a wind tunnel effect would be good because it would clear the fumes out of the harbour. Okay, forget the wind tunnel thing. It's the kayakers we're worried about. How many kayakers will have to die before we wake up?

I like that bit about odours from the restaurant. Next they'll be telling us they moved to Victoria to get away from restaurants?

I'm still not sure how I feel about this marina. Will it just come off as a big parking lot for yachts? There's a lot of visual variety at Fisherman's Wharf but my concern is that there won't be much variety at all on this side. Just a bunch of big white boats that all look very similar to one another. I suppose a sterile marina couldn't do any harm to an already sterile Songhees. Or could it?

edit looking back in 2019: the marina buildings offset much of the potential for that "sterile" effect that I was wondering about. The Songhees continues to become less sterile with every successive 21st-century change/enhancement.

Edited by aastra, 22 June 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

I think they should reserve a few slips for small sailboats, maybe even a fishing boat to add some variety.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#59 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

^Agreed. Mix it up a bit.

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Visitors who closely follow our print media coming here expecting megayachts tied up near highrise towers will be surprised to instead find 40 ft. cabin cruisers moored beside four storey apartments.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users