[Vic West] Victoria International Marina | Built - completed in 2018

Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#1841 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Probably a welding shelter, as they appeared to be ready to join the piles together.

#1842 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

... ready to join the piles together.

That sounds painful.

#1843 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

I love the marina's in Puerto Vallarta, always a people place buzzing with shops and restaurants, buskers and music on the surrounding walkways ...

• Nparker likes this

#1844 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

I love the marina's in Puerto Vallarta, always a people place buzzing with shops and restaurants, buskers and music on the surrounding walkways ...

Possibly part of the problem and why so much ruckus was made of this proposal: apparently for many Victorians the only "buzz" they'll accept is the result of imbibing in the herb, based on the sheer number of pot shop applications before the CoV.

Otherwise too much waterfront buzz is something associated with "big" cities like Vancouver. And of course we must at all costs guard against being "too" Vancouver-like...!

• Nparker likes this

#1845 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Possibly part of the problem and why so much ruckus was made of this proposal: apparently for many Victorians the only "buzz" they'll accept is the result of imbibing in the herb, based on the sheer number of pot shop applications before the CoV.

Otherwise too much waterfront buzz is something associated with "big" cities like Vancouver. And of course we must at all costs guard against being "too" Vancouver-like...!

I'm happy to hear a restaurnt is going in here. For all the desnity in this part of Vic West, it feels like a ghost town. More comercial units engaging with the waterfront walkway is just what it needs.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye, Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

#1846 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm happy to hear a restaurnt is going in here. For all the desnity in this part of Vic West, it feels like a ghost town. More comercial units engaging with the waterfront walkway is just what it needs.

Completely concur: for the most part it is a ghost town, no question.

If any part of Victoria should be "vibrant" it should above all be the harbor for heaven sake. When I lived in Kitsilano - 15 years ago - one of the very best features of the area was the lively, jumping waterfront scene: boats, marinas, restaurants, pubs, all sorts of festivals like the international kite festival and of course the renowned Bard in the Park. Victoria's waterfront's - pretty much any of them, take your pick - are veritable tombs by comparison.

• Nparker likes this

#1847 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

This is the one part I like about the development. Some much needed commercial in the area. If the roundhouse ever completes this will be a happening area potentially.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#1848 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Nice to see some tangible progress here. I always feared this project would get killed somehow.

• Nparker likes this

#1849 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

anyone know if they have already lined up the restaurant partner?

was thinking The Boathouse would go perfect here.

#1850 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

anyone know if they have already lined up the restaurant partner?

Quite some time ago they said they had, and that we'd be familiar with it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1851 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

It's all too easy to fall into the same trap that the retirees who've purchases condos on the shores of the harbour fall into, and demand silence and peace in/on/and around the inner and outer harbour.

But there are many folks with extensive backgrounds in all things nautical who will not hesitate to tell you that a dead or dying harbour is a sad sight to behold - and eventually leads to everything dying ... including the condos that were once sold by touting the benefits of all the amazing things to see on and around the harbour.

Harbours that are always active with business, with industry, with transportation and with pedestrian activity are the harbours that live long and healthy lives.

This marina/restaraunt is a great addition to the harbour, and rather than give in to the temptation to just build more condos, the powers that be should concentrate on maintaining a working harbour ... perhaps not the historical polluting industries like Bapco Paint, VMD, or B.C. Forest Products ... but working nonetheless.

A nice clean marina and restaurant located right on the water is a brilliant addition IF one is willing to see the benefits of maintaining a fully working harbour.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 4 others like this

#1852 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yes a working harbour for sure.

Bring on the drydock at Point Hope, more floatplanes, cruise ships, catamarans, barges and a fully functioning new bridge...

...and it is important that the last item is part of the "working" as in harbour.

#1853 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Good points Cassidy. The irony is that the condo owners who donned the yellow tee shirts and screamed "Save our harbour" will actually benefit from the marina. They just don't know it yet. Meantime I gather some of them were promised by certain real estate agents that the marina would never come to fruition, that they had managed to kill it. Not so. I'm looking forward to checking out the completed marina. If you've been to Auckland, New Zealand, there is an area called Lighter Quay that is a perfect example of a mix of residential, commercial, restaurants etc.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1854 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Whoa, +1 Cassidy.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1855 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

And I as a good citizen of this fine city do not want to spoil our charm and old England heritage with some atrusive marina in our "world famous" harbour ...

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1856 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

I guess we are stuck with a marina with beautiful boats ... thank goodness they are not planning to make it a people place with shops and restaurants ... save us council !!!

#1857 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:19 PM

Surely the "yet-to-be-announced" restaurant is not going to expect all of their business from the boats that have their own kitchen staff.  Where are restaurant goers going to park in this area?  

#1858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:44 PM

There's a plethora of parking capacity in the Songhees, most of which is two hour parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1859 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

There's a plethora of parking capacity in the Songhees, most of which is two hour parking.

Yeah, an overabundance as well.      

#1860 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

There is lots of parking up on the main street.  Kimta?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users